Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Vertigo50
macrumors 65816

Cable not certified in iOS 7?

I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.
Vertigo50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I'm using a third party cable and it gives me the same pop-up. But it still charges my phone not draining the battery even while I'm using it.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:48 AM   #3
ace.neerav
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

i get the same message and i dont see the charging symbol on or next to the battery.
ace.neerav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:56 AM   #4
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I get the same message on my iphone5 running ios7 but it charges but really really slow. The same cable works on my other iphone5 running ios6

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:28 AM   #5
FreeStyLeMaSTeR
macrumors member

I am guessing ios7 doing something to 3rd oarty cables. I'm on my second cable, they work for a while then stops working. I dont have ios6 device to test it.
FreeStyLeMaSTeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:11 AM   #6
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!
tmanto02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
bransoj
macrumors 6502

Been a bit random for me also...the same third party cable gives the message if i try to use it with my car charger but then works fine from a usb plug adaptor in the house.
bransoj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Pattycerts
macrumors 6502

It only happens to me with a 3rd party calbe when I use a car lighter port and charge 2 phones at the same time. Once I unplug the other phone it works fine
Pattycerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:44 AM   #9
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!
I have 2 apple 30 pin to lightning adapters and they bring up the message occasionally, but work. I also have 2 charge-only Chinese knockoff cables and they bring up the error every time, but charge the phone fine.

After one upgrade (Beta 5??) I had to reboot the iPhone a couple of times to get the charging to work with the cheap cables, but ever since it has worked fine, just with the error message
daviddth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.
Tubamajuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #11
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.
But that is chargers which are dangerous as they can inadvertantly expose you to dangerous 110-240V voltages without your knowledge, or catch fire etc.

Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Armen
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo50 View Post
I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.
I don't blame Apple for doing this.

- This will prevent cheap low quality cables/chargers from possibly damaging the battery or other components of an iPhonei/iPad which would make addressing warranty issues easier.

- This is additional income for Apple. Legit companies have to pay a licensing fee to sell Apple accessories. You don't pay the fee, you're not authorized.

- Liability: Remember that lady in China who got electrocuted to death while using her iPhone while it was being charged? The media circus was pointing fingers at Apple until they learned the charger was unauthorized.

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

For me, I'd rather pay the $29.00 for an authentic Apple cable than wonder if my $5.00 Amazon cable is actually doing damage to the phone.
Armen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #13
imaginex20
macrumors 6502a

I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

It's like saying, "this pirated game won't play in my PS3, Sony sucks".
nikicampos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Cable not certified in iOS 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginex20 View Post
I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.
I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:26 PM   #16
imaginex20
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?
uhhh...my post that you quoted says it works perfectly fine with syncing and charging..
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Armen
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #18
cwosigns
macrumors 6502a

I use Belkin Charge n Sync docks at home and at the office, and the one at home will randomly cause that message to appear and won't charge. I have to reboot my phone, and that often will get it to charge. But it is random, and both are certified (bought them at the Apple Store). Hoping the final release will fix this.
cwosigns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:13 PM   #19
iphonehype
macrumors 6502

Have had this issue with iOS 7 Beta one. Charges the phone fine though...can't complain.....
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginex20 View Post
uhhh...my post that you quoted says it works perfectly fine with syncing and charging..
Oops I read it too fast for me to process it lol. Thank you though.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:37 PM   #21
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddth View Post
Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.
This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:10 PM   #22
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.
I bought one to charge my iPhone when away at a motel as I forgot my charger, but had the charging lead. Out of interest I opened it a few months later to see just how simple this $3 charger was and then promptly threw it away. In Australia our plugs are polarized so you can not plug in a device swapping over the active and neutral lines. Neutral is at earth potential, but active is at 240V AC. The 5V output has a 0V and +5v but they are not tied to the input side at all, but in this charger the 0V line was tied directly to the neutral line.

This has the effect of ensuring that the output voltage is at earth potential, or no more than 5V above it... EXCEPT... What happens if you plug the charger into a power outlet or extension lead or power board with Active and neutral swapped over? Yep then the output is sitting there floating at 240V above earth! In a fault condition the Neutral can also rise above earth potential as well, so even if the wiring is correct, you could receive a shock if you were unlucky enough to be touching the lead at that time.

I had used the charger for days, my 12 year old daughter had used the charger as well, and it was only luck that all the power outlets in the motel were wired correctly, but one screw up by the installer or maintenance person in the past and we could have been in serious trouble
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:23 PM   #23
MisakixMikasa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post

Have you ever seen people doing that? I had buck of third party cable, none of them failed me, though those are all 30 pin connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.
I think they are basically the same, it just Apple put some code inside that little chip so that they can prevent third party maker making lighting cable. As I said, I brought few third party cable for me, my family and my friend, none of them really give me trouble. In my view, Apple's cable quality just same as these cheap cable, they fail fairly quickly too
MisakixMikasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:16 AM   #24
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Try unplug and re plug. Experienced the same thing.
1rottenapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Galer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.
Copied from Android.
Galer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7