Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1
garirry
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
What video camera should I buy?

I need a high quality video camera that supports 16:9 1080p recording with at least an 10mpx lenses. It must have auto-focusing and/or manual focusing, including zooming. It also must have the ability to record screen (light adjustment). It also need an acceptable audio quality or to have an microphone jack. I will not buy the camera right now but I will not pay more that 500$. What video camera should I buy?
__________________
: iMac G3, iBook G3 Clamshell, iMac G4, iMac Late 2009, MacBook Early 2008 (white), iPod Touch 5G
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Unami
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austria
what do you mean by 10mpx lens?
do you need a motor-zoom or is manual fine (twist the lens) ?
do you need manual exposure control (for recording off-screen) or are you happy with an automatic function?
what type of screen are you filming off?

as you describe it, nearly any camera with an "audio in" (you'll need it for good audio) in the above 300$ category should do the trick.
Unami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unami View Post
what do you mean by 10mpx lens?
do you need a motor-zoom or is manual fine (twist the lens) ?
do you need manual exposure control (for recording off-screen) or are you happy with an automatic function?
what type of screen are you filming off?

as you describe it, nearly any camera with an "audio in" (you'll need it for good audio) in the above 300$ category should do the trick.
I mean by something like: The iPod Touch 5G has an 5mpx lense. The iPhone 5 has an 8mpx lense. And I need 10mpx.

For the screen I mean just having a feature like iPods and iPhones does, I film the screen and it automatically adjust the brightness so I can see the screen on video (instead seeing just a white screen). What camera do you suggest to me?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Do you recommend me the Panasonic HC-V201?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:57 PM   #5
leandroc76
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
It's 2.20 megapixels. So it doesn't fit your "mpx" requirement.

However it does do amazing 60fps at 1920X1080p @ 28Mbps (megabits per second, you'll need a class 10 SDHC card).

The biggest down side, is that it's only about 35mm at it's widest.

Not sure if you're a troll, or English is not your first language, or you've been hiding under a rock for the last 16 years...

But the OP seems off his rocker.
__________________
Quote: Originally Posted by ruk110
whats a sig? your signature says i hate sigs

Last edited by leandroc76; Jun 12, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
leandroc76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroc76 View Post
2.20 megapixels

So it doesn't fit your "mpx" requirement.

Not sure if you're a troll, or English is not your first language, or you've been hiding under a rock for the last 16 years...

But the OP seems off his rocker.
Forget the MPX. 10 mpx is for images, not for video. Can you tell me if the HC-201 is for my needs? (Excluding the mpx)

And no I'm not a troll, I am serious about what I am asking. That's not my fault if I don't know something.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
leandroc76
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Forget the MPX. 10 mpx is for images, not for video. Can you tell me if the HC-201 is for my needs? (Excluding the mpx)

And no I'm not a troll, I am serious about what I am asking. That's not my fault if I don't know something.
What exactly are you shooting?
__________________
Quote: Originally Posted by ruk110
whats a sig? your signature says i hate sigs
leandroc76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroc76 View Post
What exactly are you shooting?
Video. I will film mostly for my youtube channel. I need a camera that adjust the lightning, so I need a camera that records screens fine enough.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:15 PM   #9
leandroc76
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
...I need a camera that adjust the lightning, so I need a camera that records screens fine enough.
This gives me a headache.

Anyhow, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It does everything you stated. Just remember, it doesn't have a very wide field of view. secondly the quality of the video, while being 1920x1080, will be less than great compared to say DSLR video. Because the glass in front of these sensors are what makes a large part of the "quality" most people look for.

For your budget, might I interest you in a Canon T3i or Nikon D5200? those coupled with a 50mm prime can get you waaaaay better results than any Panasonic HV-whatever model.

Yes 50mm is worse than 35mm in terms of FOV, but the quality is far better with a 1.8 lens that can create depth of field.
__________________
Quote: Originally Posted by ruk110
whats a sig? your signature says i hate sigs
leandroc76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #10
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroc76 View Post
This gives me a headache.

Anyhow, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It does everything you stated. Just remember, it doesn't have a very wide field of view. secondly the quality of the video, while being 1920x1080, will be less than great compared to say DSLR video. Because the glass in front of these sensors are what makes a large part of the "quality" most people look for.

For your budget, might I interest you in a Canon T3i or Nikon D5200? those coupled with a 50mm prime can get you waaaaay better results than any Panasonic HV-whatever model.

Yes 50mm is worse than 35mm in terms of FOV, but the quality is far better with a 1.8 lens that can create depth of field.
Yes, but I checked the T3i, it looks more like a picture camera. I am, in term of camcorders, a Panasonic fanboy. I know they make good camcorders, so I want to try a Panasonic camera. All I wish is having a camera that is way better than my iPod Touch 5G for recording.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Unami
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austria
thr hc-v201 should do the trick. it has auto/manual iris, so it will automatically adjust to brightness changes (filming off lit screen for example). you can also adjust the iris manually, which is even better. be aware that this camera has no audio in - you'll be limited to the internal mics. they should be way better than those on an ipod touch but you'll still hear it, if you touch the camcorder. the hc-v720 with microphone-in (and an external mic) would be a better choice, if you want to avoid this.

also, i highly recommend getting a tripod - this will really improve the quality of your videos (e.g. manfrotto 190cx with 701 video head - don't buy a really cheap one, you will probably regret it).

also in my experience (i own a pana af100, a sd100 and a dvx100 ) panasonic cams are a bit weak, when it comes to low light capability. sonys are much better in low light.

the zoom lens in the panasonic should also give you a better picture and more creative options than the ipod.

but as leandroc76 pointed out - you'll get a much, much better picture on a ti3 or similar with it's way bigger sensor and a good lens.

but you'll be limited to recording shorter videos (afaik you have to restart recording after about 15 minutes or have the - great - magic lantern firmware-hack do it for you - but you'll still lose a few seconds), there won't be a motorized zoom (so no smooth zooms) and you'll also need an external mic for better audio quality. also, you'll need quite a big lens on the canon to get the same zoom-factor (also due to the sensor size). and finally, you'll probably have to re-encode the video, if you plan to use imovie for editing (while imovie should re-encode the panasonic video out of the box). most other editing software (FCPX, Premiere Elements) should handle the DSLR Video just fine.

still, it's just no contest in terms of video quality (even if you use the dirt-cheap canon kit-lens - the sensor size makes all the difference)
Unami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unami View Post
thr hc-v201 should do the trick. it has auto/manual iris, so it will automatically adjust to brightness changes (filming off lit screen for example). you can also adjust the iris manually, which is even better. be aware that this camera has no audio in - you'll be limited to the internal mics. they should be way better than those on an ipod touch but you'll still hear it, if you touch the camcorder. the hc-v720 with microphone-in (and an external mic) would be a better choice, if you want to avoid this.

also, i highly recommend getting a tripod - this will really improve the quality of your videos (e.g. manfrotto 190cx with 701 video head - don't buy a really cheap one, you will probably regret it).

also in my experience (i own a pana af100, a sd100 and a dvx100 ) panasonic cams are a bit weak, when it comes to low light capability. sonys are much better in low light.

the zoom lens in the panasonic should also give you a better picture and more creative options than the ipod.

but as leandroc76 pointed out - you'll get a much, much better picture on a ti3 or similar with it's way bigger sensor and a good lens.

but you'll be limited to recording shorter videos (afaik you have to restart recording after about 15 minutes or have the - great - magic lantern firmware-hack do it for you - but you'll still lose a few seconds), there won't be a motorized zoom (so no smooth zooms) and you'll also need an external mic for better audio quality. also, you'll need quite a big lens on the canon to get the same zoom-factor (also due to the sensor size). and finally, you'll probably have to re-encode the video, if you plan to use imovie for editing (while imovie should re-encode the panasonic video out of the box). most other editing software (FCPX, Premiere Elements) should handle the DSLR Video just fine.

still, it's just no contest in terms of video quality (even if you use the dirt-cheap canon kit-lens - the sensor size makes all the difference)
Thanks for the advice, I will buy the V201 when I will have money. Also, for the tripod, I already have one, and I regret nothing by purchasing that tripod with an iPod Touch adapter. I save for an iMac, then for the V201.
Thanks for all advices.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:11 PM   #13
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
If you got the money to burn, get the Canon 5D Mark III. Amazing piece of tech, especially in low to no light scenarios.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
If you got the money to burn, get the Canon 5D Mark III. Amazing piece of tech, especially in low to no light scenarios.
Wow, 3000$ for a camera? You're kidding me? I can buy a 4K camera for that price.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:42 PM   #15
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Wow, 3000$ for a camera? You're kidding me? I can buy a 4K camera for that price.
Then take it to the next level... Canon EOS-1D C 4k Cinema DSLR. Haha.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #16
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
Then take it to the next level... Canon EOS-1D C 4k Cinema DSLR. Haha.
Maybe some day, in probably 10 years or so.
garirry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #17
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Maybe some day, in probably 10 years or so.
In all seriousness, a good start up DSLR camera is the Canon 60D. Without the lens you can get one for about $700. That's my backup to the 5D Mark III. In the end it still produces great video.

I keep bouncing between the idea of grabbing a 60D since it's more affordable.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:25 PM   #18
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
In all seriousness, a good start up DSLR camera is the Canon 60D. Without the lens you can get one for about $700. That's my backup to the 5D Mark III. In the end it still produces great video.

I keep bouncing between the idea of grabbing a 60D since it's more affordable.
700$ is too expensive to me, 200$ for a good enough camera is a good price.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:55 PM   #19
Magrathea
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Canon

Remember that the Canons can ONLY RECORD AT 11mins at a time! The newer ones too I believe so if you want to record a speech, a band of a talk your SOL. Good choice but make sure you know the record time limitations. A zoom with a rocker is nice, I have a DSLR and a little panasonic handycam Ts700 and the zoom on the handycam is very nice.

1080p 60 is a great formant but an absolute bitch to edit and you must transcode it, a real problem with my handycam - for slow motions its great but why they didn't add a 24p mode is beyond me!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
700$ is too expensive to me, 200$ for a good enough camera is a good price.
Ok you're obviously looking for something very non pro like a little GoPro or a very low quality handcam like camera. You'll really not get anything that good for $200, really.

If you want to run with the big dogs we can talk

(you might try an old tape based canon like the HV30 or HV40, they rocked, HD and had 24p. You'll have to buy tapes but you'll get good video, better than any AVCHD camera in my opinion
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:01 PM   #20
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrathea View Post
Remember that the Canons can ONLY RECORD AT 11mins at a time! The newer ones too I believe so if you want to record a speech, a band of a talk your SOL. Good choice but make sure you know the record time limitations. A zoom with a rocker is nice, I have a DSLR and a little panasonic handycam Ts700 and the zoom on the handycam is very nice.

1080p 60 is a great formant but an absolute bitch to edit and you must transcode it, a real problem with my handycam - for slow motions its great but why they didn't add a 24p mode is beyond me!

----------



Ok you're obviously looking for something very non pro like a little GoPro or a very low quality handcam like camera. You'll really not get anything that good for $200, really.

If you want to run with the big dogs we can talk

(you might try an old tape based canon like the HV30 or HV40, they rocked, HD and had 24p. You'll have to buy tapes but you'll get good video, better than any AVCHD camera in my opinion
A 200$ camera I talk about the HC-V201. That is a great camera based on reviews and specs. And what's the problem about 60fps editing? I will edit on iMovie, maybe someday on Final Cut Pro, and I will publish on Youtube! What's so complicated about that?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:39 PM   #21
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
A 200$ camera I talk about the HC-V201. That is a great camera based on reviews and specs. And what's the problem about 60fps editing? I will edit on iMovie, maybe someday on Final Cut Pro, and I will publish on Youtube! What's so complicated about that?
It's just more consumer level'ish. It's all about a great lens these days. An iPhone can shoot the same quality as that, if done right. I shot an entire wedding with an iPhone for fun and it looked incredible.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:59 PM   #22
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
It's just more consumer level'ish. It's all about a great lens these days. An iPhone can shoot the same quality as that, if done right. I shot an entire wedding with an iPhone for fun and it looked incredible.
Well, but what Panasonic camcorder do you recommend me for under 500$ and on more "pro" side?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:08 AM   #23
coldsweat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
The HC-V201 will almost fit your needs, but I don't think it has a mic socket (although I could be wrong). However take a look at a second hand Panasonic TM700, a great camera that ticks ALL of your boxes.

One point about the Panasonics listed above - the picture gets a bit 'muddy & smeary' in low light, so make sure you have adequate lighting.
coldsweat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:00 AM   #24
leandroc76
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Well, but what Panasonic camcorder do you recommend me for under 500$ and on more "pro" side?
You still never answered my question. What are you shooting?

"video" is not an answer. If you're shooting weddings, we have answers. If you're shooting sports, we have recommendations. If you're shooting porn, I guarantee a proper answer will be given.

So based on what you're shooting, I don't see any camcorder that can measure up to the quality of a DSLR and a sharp prime lens.

If you're shooting sports, then a camcorder would probably be best.

But for anything else, I can assure you, no camcorder in even a $500 price range can even sniff the jock strap of a DSLR.
__________________
Quote: Originally Posted by ruk110
whats a sig? your signature says i hate sigs
leandroc76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:06 AM   #25
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroc76 View Post
You still never answered my question. What are you shooting?

"video" is not an answer. If you're shooting weddings, we have answers. If you're shooting sports, we have recommendations. If you're shooting porn, I guarantee a proper answer will be given.

So based on what you're shooting, I don't see any camcorder that can measure up to the quality of a DSLR and a sharp prime lens.

If you're shooting sports, then a camcorder would probably be best.

But for anything else, I can assure you, no camcorder in even a $500 price range can even sniff the jock strap of a DSLR.
I'm shooting tech stuff, unboxings, programs on-screen. Like I film installing OSes on computers, so I need a camera appropriate for on-screen filming, AND a camera that doesn't have those little random-color dots when I'm filming in low-light.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Video Converter to Convert Video Camera Movies Wicked1 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jan 24, 2014 03:41 PM
Video in camera app vs video in messages - interesting find adnbek iOS 7 3 Oct 7, 2013 09:23 PM
Trying to inport video from a Sony camera via iPad USB camera kit DrivinWest iPad 0 Oct 12, 2012 12:20 AM
Will This Waterproof Video Camera Watch Work w/ iPad Camera Connection Kit? HappyDude20 iPad 1 Jun 17, 2012 11:59 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC