Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Now, we all know that Yahoo has worked with Apple to have many yahoo services integrated. One thing that is striking though is the similarities between the new weather app:

index_weather_posterframe_2x.jpg

And the Yahoo weather app:

mzl.ojnxvyus.320x480-75.jpg

Now, one thing I've noticed is the heavier Yahoo branding on the new iOS weather app. The first branding is in the corner.

IMG_0006.JPG

Now of course the idea is that Yahoo is providing the weather data, but a second branding reveals a different source for weather data:

IMG_0007.JPG

Yahoo Weather and Weather.com both operate independently from each other.

Also, tapping either loads search.yahoo.com or yahoo.com, rather than weather.com or weather.yahoo.com

This leads me to believe that Apple either bought the design of the Yahoo Weather app, or Apple has worked with Yahoo on the weather app.

Thoughts?

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
One of the blogs yesterday mentioned that Marissa Meyer was in the audience at WWDC so that leads me to think it's a collaboration. There's deeper Yahoo integration into iOS each version

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
One of the blogs yesterday mentioned that Marissa Meyer was in the audience at WWDC so that leads me to think it's a collaboration. There's deeper Yahoo integration into iOS each version

That makes sense, considering Yahoo hasn't made even a single statement.

PezCore

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
The weather app has always been "powered" by Yahoo, so naturally when they update their native app, the will do it for iOS 7 since it fits the theme

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
if you look at the design of the weather app, you can see the influence of its design in other areas of iOS 7 such as the notification center's Today's tab.

When the yahoo weather app was released I told my friends that I hope the new iOS would take design cues from this app and looks like Ives did :D

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Look at the first screenshots bottem left corner. It is provided by yahoo, but it makes me wonder, if it where a collaboration, why would yahoo go through all that trouble to release a standalone weather app, if the new iOS has it integrated?

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Interesting! I believe that it's a collab. Especially because Yahoo! won the Apple App Design Award on Monday too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.