Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
megalaser
macrumors member

Nice OS, shame about the battery drain

Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.
megalaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
eattherich
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalaser View Post
Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.
It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.
eattherich is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:21 AM   #3
acosmichippo
macrumors regular

As always with iOS software updates, most people haven't had battery problems. If you are sure you're seeing a noticeable decline, I'd suggest first rebooting, and then possibly a restore as new. Sometimes upgrades go fubar and mess with the battery for some reason.
acosmichippo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:21 AM   #4
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eattherich View Post
It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple has purposely broke elements in iOS:7 for the few who aren't developers and install the beta.

And the fact it's a beta should scream it's not perfect.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:22 AM   #5
megalaser
macrumors member

Is it a beta?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:24 AM   #6
recklesslife85
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to tell me it's a beta, thanks for that. The battery life is an issue, I'm seeing a lot of reports of the same thing, overheating and very fast battery drain.
Its a beta - In all seriousness, Apple know so there most prob fixing it right now. Expect it to be fixed in the next beta 2 - hopefully...
recklesslife85 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:24 AM   #7
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Seriously? I've got everything with location services running, etc... and my iPhone 5 is cool to touch and has only used about 15% power in the last 9 hours.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:26 AM   #8
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

I'm on an iPhone 4 with the iOS 7 beta. I installed it on my iPhone at this time last night and was at 100% battery then. As of right now, pretty much exactly 24 hours later, it is at 22%. On 6.1.3 I'd have needed to grab the charger about 4 hours ago.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 AM   #9
LydonZA
macrumors newbie

I've definitely noticed a battery drain as well. Now that I've adjusted a few settings such as brightness, location services etc, it's more in line with the battery life I was getting previously (with the same settings), but there's still a noticeable difference. It's 10:28AM here, I've hardly used my phone today and it's already down to 58%. But it seems to have stopped discharging on 58% so I'm hoping the rest of the charge depletes as slowly.
LydonZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:32 AM   #10
megalaser
macrumors member

OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:34 AM   #11
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.
my battery is doing great. i have an ip5 and i installed ios 7 as a new device.
rmeadejr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:34 AM   #12
kdhoe
macrumors member

I have a much better battery life with iOS 7. I upgraded to iOS 7 (no restore)
kdhoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:35 AM   #13
blue54321
macrumors newbie

In my opinion the battery drained slower over the night on iPhone 5. Around 4%, on iOS 6 was sometimes 20%. If I use the phone i have the feeling it drains quicker.
I would recommend to look on location services, especially system services. There are couple things that like to use it a lot.
Also wallpaper motion tends to use more cpu power, so it would be nice if there will be a option to turn that off later on.
blue54321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:36 AM   #14
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I did it as a simple update. No battery drain issues, iPhone 5, A1429.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:37 AM   #15
cnev3
macrumors 6502

I really hope it is an issue that can be resolved through the beta, and not just a reality of ios7 and a result of the new features like the parallax backgrounds and improved multitasking. For me, the leanness of iOS is one of the major reasons I switched from Android.
cnev3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:

----------

Actually I didn't restore at all. I was on 6.1.3, opened iTunes, Option+Click Update, choose the iOS 7 beta, and done. nothing special.

EDIT: It may make a difference that I have always been very picky about what I let use Location Services.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:41 AM   #17
megalaser
macrumors member

Battery life is a critical issue for any mobile device including cameras ect, so important that it should be regarded as an iBattery with a phone built in, it's weird that some people have no issues on a 5 and others have a fast drain, mine never had this issue before, there has to be a reason.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 AM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

my battery drained 20% over the night without use lol
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:58 AM   #19
AdamA9
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried turning off 'Background App Refresh' in the settings? This will preserve some battery life.
AdamA9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:05 AM   #20
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamA9 View Post
Have you tried turning off 'Background App Refresh' in the settings? This will preserve some battery life.
It's off, I had a panorama bg tho so idk if that did anything.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:06 AM   #21
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:07 AM   #22
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?
No
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:37 PM   #23
eaglesteve
macrumors 6502

Extremely extremely bad battery life

After just 1 hours 43 minutes after a full charge I've just 16% left in my battery.

It was never this bad with the previous beta that I tried.
eaglesteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Same here. After about three hours of listening to music in headphones, and other light usage, my battery was dead.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:55 PM   #25
ZaYoOoD
macrumors member

It's so bad, it's weird!

On airplane mode, I got only 2 hours of usage!
ZaYoOoD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7