Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
melb00m
macrumors member

Give Apple a break - and why we probably might see bigger changes

I've been following these forums carefully since the release of iOS 7 beta, and some people really need to calm down a little. Why do so many people expect a "final product" every time a new beta comes out, although the Apple page unambiguously states that it's not final software and targeted at DEVELOPERS only (and not the end user with an every-day phone).

It's true that in the past, most of the times the visuals displayed in a beta didn't change much, but I think this time it might be a little bit different. Here's why:

1- In contrast to all the minor evolutionary steps that the iOS UI has undertaken up to v6, this is such a major redesign it's just out of comparison. My bet is there will be tweaks on the UI (including icons...!) all the way to the final release. It just takes a lot of time, and I bet the engineers and designers at Apple are working their butts off right now. They're not stupid and know what they're doing!

2- Supporting the above: no iPad beta version -- that's a very clear sign that the visuals are most likely not yet fully ready even on the "small" iPhone screens, let alone on the bigger pads.

3- And even more: do you really think they'd really push out the UI to the millions of iPhone 4 users the way it looks right now without all the effects? Apple just has gone through the Maps disaster, I'm pretty sure they will be VERY careful that they don't draw a similar amount of hate again...

I think this beta this time is really just for developers to let them get a fist impression on the new direction of the iOS style, so they can already start adapting their apps (and make use of the new API's as well). It has come to knowledge ahead of WWDC that Apple is a little behind, but it's also unthinkable they would hold the WWDC without showing a new version of iOS. So yes, what we have now might be a little "rushed", compared to previous betas.

To put things a little into perspective, look at the "major" changes from iOS 5 to 6:
* Apple Maps (ugh!)
* Google Services gone (ugh!)
* Passbook
* Only very subtle UI changes

This time, we get a full-fledged UI overhaul with many good ideas already in place PLUS very useful new features (control center, AirDrop, real multitasking, per-app VPN, and so much more...). And all that worked out from a team under new lead and in just a couple months. How can possibly everything be ready by now? It can not!

To summarize, this beta should be seen for what it is... a preview for WWDC devs so they can learn and make use of the new UI and API.

In my opinion, we should be really thankful that Apple finally is pushing iOS forward more aggressively, and cut the engineers some slack so they can finish and polish what they already have (very successfully) begun.
melb00m is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
dominic252
macrumors member

Some things I noticed as well:

1) Notifications look unfinished. They take up too much of the screen/too tall

2) They took out "tap to tweet" and "tap to post". Why would they do that? I have a feeling we're going to be seeing some type of widget, considering Tim said they'd be interested in opening up the API more.

3) I think they're going to incorporate a quick reply method, considering it's in Mavericks

I have a feeling what we have now isn't even close to what the final release will be like
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
throys
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic252 View Post

2) They took out "tap to tweet" and "tap to post". Why would they do that? I have a feeling we're going to be seeing some type of widget, considering Tim said they'd be interested in opening up the API more.

3) I think they're going to incorporate a quick reply method, considering it's in Mavericks

I have a feeling what we have now isn't even close to what the final release will be like
Fully agree, now apple open up a bit more they will just have to continue to make iOS 7 better with each release and at the same time not do too much for average end users of iPhone.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors 604

It is possible that Apple bit off more than they can chew here. They basically redesigned the entire UI in a matter of 6 months. Iím not using the beta but from what Iím reading/seeing it seems this is in a way the opposite of maps. Where maps looked fine from an aesthetic point of view it just didnít work for a lot of people. With iOS 7 it seems the functionality and features work and are great but the UI is a bit inconsistent.

The word ďflatĒ was never mentioned during the keynote or in any of the promotional materials/videos. Yet, depth was mentioned and demonstrated several times. It seems to me Apple is trying to find the balance between the design getting out of the way and ridding the UI of ornamentation (i.e. deference to your content as Jony Ive would say) and still providing an enjoyable experience that isnít sterile and lifeless. So you have inconsistencies where some things are very flat and others arenít.

I donít think itís Jony Ive and Apple designers not knowing what theyíre doing but them trying to find the right balance and all of this being a work in progress. iOS 7 is laying down some foundations but it will change and be refined and perfected over time. Jony Ive has only been in this human interface role for 6 months or so. It will take him time to hit his stride here. In the iOS 7 promotional video he basically said itís just the beginning. I think Apple had to change and is heading in the right direction. Itís just going to take time to perfect.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:49 AM   #5
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BigB82
I agree with most comments here but I doubt they will change the icons considering they are already advertising them on apple.com homepage and they would NEVER let the general public know if they intended to change it. That is not apple like
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
l.w41sh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic252 View Post

With such a major re-design I think we are for from a finished product. I hope they have a ton of betas and they start releasing them sooner. No more bi weekly releases.
They have changed icons in betas before. (Reminders app) pocketfullofapps.com/2011/07/13/new-reminders-app-icon-in-ios-5-beta-3.html
l.w41sh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7
rasputin1969
macrumors member

There is no law that states Apple has to make a major-point release alongside each years flagship iOS release. Apple could, and should have, released iOS 6.5 with functional changes like the multi-page folders and auto-updates. They could then have taken an extra 6-12 months perfecting the new UI and released it at some point next year.
rasputin1969 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
R4z3r
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.w41sh View Post
With such a major re-design I think we are for from a finished product. I hope they have a ton of betas and they start releasing them sooner. No more bi weekly releases.
They have changed icons in betas before. (Reminders app) pocketfullofapps.com/2011/07/13/new-reminders-app-icon-in-ios-5-beta-3.html
Agreed.

On notifications in the quote you made, I like how it takes up the screen since I think this will translate nicely to the iPad
R4z3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Vertigo50
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin1969 View Post
There is no law that states Apple has to make a major-point release alongside each years flagship iOS release. Apple could, and should have, released iOS 6.5 with functional changes like the multi-page folders and auto-updates. They could then have taken an extra 6-12 months perfecting the new UI and released it at some point next year.
I would agree with you if iOS 7 were a disaster from a usability standpoint, but it's actually the opposite!

As people are saying here, the functionality is pretty brilliant, and very impressive for a first beta of a complete overhaul.

The UI look still needs some work, but that is much easier to fix during the testing process. So why wait?
Vertigo50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7