Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:50 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Teardown of Apple's New AirPort Extreme Reveals Hard Drive Slot, but No Connectors

While iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks drew most of the attention at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, another one of Apple's introductions also generated a significant amount of discussion and controversy: redesigned AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule Wi-Fi base stations.

The new vertical designs take up considerably more volume than their predecessors, although footprints have been reduced to just 3.85 inches square. The new base stations include support for the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, and Apple has increased the number of antennas from three to six. The vertical design is intended to optimize range and signal strength by elevating the antennas, while also helping the base stations offer beamforming, which automatically finds 802.11ac devices and targets Wi-Fi signals toward those devices for optimum performance.

The teardown experts at iFixit have obtained one of the new AirPort Extreme units and have torn it apart to examine its internals. Given that the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule have identical external designs, it should be no surprise that the AirPort Extreme contains space for a hard drive, although it appears that users will not be able to build their own Time Capsules by simply adding hard drives to their AirPort Extremes.
Quote:
We free the top cover, only to find...3.5? of empty space. While the AirPort Extreme doesn't come equipped with storage, we dug up a standard 3.5? SATA hard drive, just to test it out. Perfecto!...Except we can't find any connectors where we'd plug in the hard drive, only empty spaces on the logic board--so chances of DIY AirPort Extreme to Time Capsule upgrades are slim.
Looking further, iFixit found the usual array of chips on the logic board, and was also able to trace the antenna cable up through the center of the device to a large plate at the top which serves to distribute the Wi-Fi signals. And overall, iFixit gives the AirPort Extreme a repairability score of 8 out of 10, citing standard Torx screws, a relative lack of glue, and modular components as positives and slightly difficult prying to open, difficult fan access, and breakage-prone connectors as negatives.

Apple's new AirPort Extreme is priced at $199, while the AirPort Time Capsule base stations incorporating hard drives for wireless backup storage are priced at $299 for 2 TB and $399 for 3 TB.

Article Link: Teardown of Apple's New AirPort Extreme Reveals Hard Drive Slot, but No Connectors
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Jack97
macrumors regular

I still don't know what to make of the new design...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack97 View Post
I still don't know what to make of the new design...
Agreed.

I've got the current shape Extreme and it's classy, yet unobtrusive.

This design is perplexing.
JaySoul is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
downpour
macrumors 6502

No USB 3.0, No sale...

http://www.netgear.com/home/products...R6250.aspx#two

The USB 2.0 bottleneck will mean the AirPort Extreme is pretty useless as a NAS.

Last edited by downpour; Jun 12, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
downpour is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Jack97
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Agreed.

Yep - whereas this design doesn't feel like it could be tucked away neatly - it actually feels bigger.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #6
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Probably because it's the same shell as the Time Capsule.

chrf097 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #7
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

They really should have made a smaller profile design instead of wasting space with the Extreme version... I'm hoping there will be 3rd party connectors for sale later on that will let us add our own hard drives.

Also, seriously.... still only 3 ports? -_- that tower can easily fit 10 ports at least. Come on now.
lotzosushi is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #8
GermanyChris
Banned

Yea USB three is vitally important for printers and backup's while you sleep..
GermanyChris is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:04 AM   #9
ctcampbell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
They really should have made a smaller profile design instead of wasting space with the Extreme version..
They did. It's called an Airport Express.
ctcampbell is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Hate the design. Been looking forward to AC and beter range, but my next wireless will not be from apple. I want something thats wall mountable. the previous generations was with 3rd party mounts.

And only 3 ports on that thing... Come on.
Ballis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

They took a more function over design with this one. which i like.
you cant really slap 6 antennas in the current model and allow it to really make much difference, without being pointless and the signal not getting degraded anyway.

i love the ventilation on the AEBS and APTC.
ZMacintosh is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:07 AM   #12
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Repairability score, or "can we sell parts/ make money off of this".
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:08 AM   #13
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

I like it. 6 antennas, beamforming, 802.11ac, better wireless range... I think I'll pick one up!
gmanist1000 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
napabar
macrumors regular

Jeez, people! Do you not READ? The tower design is to help with the antennas and the 802.11 AC performance. Stop whining and READ!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

The design makes sense as explained in the article. Taller and more antennas, perhaps those were issues that needed addressing based on the previous model consumer feedback and testing. It does have a smaller footprint and might look cool on your desk just like your Darth Vadar head coffee mug that holds all your pens and pencils.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:12 AM   #16
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMacintosh View Post
i love the ventilation on the AEBS and APTC.
I think Apple must have seen the light. The AppleTV 1 and 1st generation Time Capsule both had thermal problems for me. These new designs seem somewhat inspired by Seymour Cray's design philosophy.

"Cray frequently cited two important aspects to his design philosophy: remove heat, and ensure that all signals that are supposed to arrive somewhere at the same time do indeed arrive at the same time."

B
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:13 AM   #17
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour View Post
Quote:
Yep - whereas this design doesn't feel like it could be tucked away neatly - it actually feels bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
They really should have made a smaller profile design instead of wasting space with the Extreme version... I'm hoping there will be 3rd party connectors for sale later on that will let us add our own hard drives.

Also, seriously.... still only 3 ports? -_- that tower can easily fit 10 ports at least. Come on now.
The focus is on wireless.

No USB 3.0 because USB 2.0 is faster than the bandwidth of a wireless connection anyway.

The profile is to provide better wireless range and performance.

And only three wired ports because that's a secondary, edge case for this device.

I don't understand the one USB port though. This thing should be a hub for your shared printer and time machine backup drives.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #18
rcp27
macrumors regular

I bet I could fit a Raspberry Pi in there. Could make a nice little DIY NAS box.
rcp27 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #19
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Agreed.

And the current design cannot tip over... unless there are some weird gravitational issues where you live...

I really wish this is about functional needs, like new antennas for ac and what not. And not just a designer whim. I could accept that.

But it currently is a non-issue for me as I have no plans to change my 2010 MBP and TC for the foreseable future.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:17 AM   #20
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp27 View Post
I bet I could fit a Raspberry Pi in there. Could make a nice little DIY NAS box.
Now this is a good idea! Love my Raspberry Pi
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 AM   #21
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by napabar View Post
Jeez, people! Do you not READ? The tower design is to help with the antennas and the 802.11 AC performance. Stop whining and READ!
That's fine but my current Extreme works flawlessly well in my house, and the design is better.

I don't need 6 antennas and ac right now, nor will I in the next 3-5 years probably.
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 AM   #22
downpour
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
No USB 3.0 because USB 2.0 is faster than the bandwidth of a wireless connection anyway.
No it isn't.

802.11ac is 1300Mbps

USB 2.0 is just 480Mbps (much less in reality)

Other manufactures are including USB 3.0 (5000Mbps) in their routers and charging less.

Last edited by downpour; Jun 12, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
downpour is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 AM   #23
jakebot
macrumors member

Definitely Pick one up once I have a device that supports ac. In the future, they should definitely include usb3 and more ports... even if it's mostly used for backup over wifi, why limit the speed to usb2. More ports would also be useful as well. For now, it has enough to fit my home setup so let's go iphone with ac!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Mike3300
macrumors newbie

Probably the design is to match and be put next to the new Mac Pro?
Mike3300 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:21 AM   #25
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
You can have a smaller device, or faster 802.11ac and faster 802.11n. Not both.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion