Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
iOS-6-vs-iOS-7-Icons.jpg

Phone: iOS 7 because of the lack of stripes.
Passbook: iOS 6
Mail: iOS 6
Photos: iOS 6 tough call though.
Facetime: iOs 7
safari: iOS 6 by a long shot
Maps: iOS 7 (one of the few new icons I really like
Notes: iOS 7
Stocks: iOS 7 (pretty good icon)
App Store: iOS 6 (because the circle is smaller and that makes it look more harmoneous)
Weather: I'd say draw. Both are pretty bad though
Clock: iOS 6
Reminders: iOS 6 (these neon colours...)
Newsstand: iOS 6 (I like neither but the new one is just off limits ugly)
Music: iOS 6 clear winner
Vidoes: iOS 6 (that gradient on the 7.... )
Game Center: iOS 7 (though the icon makes no sense to me)
Contacts iOS 6
Compass: iOs 7 by far.
Camera: iOS 6
Calculator: iOS 6
Calendar: iOS 6 (just because its so much easier to read)
iTunes: iOS 6

Overall: iOS 6 vs 7: 15:7

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
The only one I don't like is game center. Just because there is no relationship between those 4 colored bubbles and games.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
The exact opposite of you, except the phone, calendar, passport, photos, reminders and newsstand. I prefer the newer weather app.

Icons are probably what I care about the least though.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Frankly I don't care for either set. iOS 6 ones are more polished, but the gloss and style makes them look very dated. The new ones are simple to a fault, have a bad color palette, and just look lazy. Flat icons just don't look great, they look like random splotches of color, no sense of "touch me." I think what I want is the tactility, somewhat more complex icon like this shot on Dribbble by Webshocker:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 121

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
iOS6 blows these icons out of the water. I dont understand how people can like the newer ones more...

The phone (as it is) looks extremely refined and professional. The new ones look kiddish and flat, they have no definition to them.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I like all of the iOS 7 icons more than the iOS 6 ones.

I don't like either game center icon. The iOS 6 one at least makes sense though. I don't know what the iOS 7 one is supposed to represent.

pssmith84

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
I like all the iOS 7 ones more, except for Safari and Calendar as those two look unfinished to me.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
The only one I don't like is game center. Just because there is no relationship between those 4 colored bubbles and games.

I think the bubbles are supposed to represent you and your friends (the bubbles) and the similarities between you all (the overlaps). This is the feeling I get from it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I actually like or am ok with most of the icons except for Safari, Reminders, and not listed here, Settings.

I like the original passbook but understand the shift and in making them all similar, am fine with that too. The new passbook is cool as well.

I like that iTunes and App Store icons lost the starburst effect. I like the new FaceTime much much much better. I'm not sure the trim borders had to get so thin pushing the icons symbol closer to the edge. I like that they ditched the half circle highlighting glow. And I suppose I'm fine ditching all the depth shading. I like the old camera lens icon but the new one is perfectly fine.

And while the new stocks is fine, I like the blue.

S

syd430

I notice the worst offender of them all is noticably absent - Settings. That icon is shockingly horrible and have no idea how it was approved.

Also, the cal icon is a bit misleading. There is no boarder around the icon. Those with access to the beta, change the background to a pure white background and see what happens to the cal app. It disappears except for the graphic. Same thing happens to Stocks and a few others when you switch to pure black.

One last thing - the icons might look fairly decent in isolation and on a large monitor, but on a small 4" screen with those thin fonts and lines, and just they way they all mis-match with each other... it's well.. a mess.

Just noticed something else - You give a win to iOS 7 for Phone (for 'lack of stripes') but call it a draw for Messages... doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Yeah - I was impressed my the video and keynote, as were the devs in the hall itself. Hell, the videos on Apple's website still look great. It's when you have the OS in hand that you you see how off-balance everything is. If you go with a plain black wallpaper (as I do) folders look like grey/blue blobs. The dock looks like a grey blob. A plain white background is no good either. Things pick you if you choose the right wallpaper but a UI should not be so dependent on one user changeable property.

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I like tho iOS 7 icons, except for camera, settings and safari. I prefer just the "lens" pictured instead of the camera clip art. For safari, I like some of the other examples I've seen. Just use the old icon graphic, but take out the N,W,E,S letters, leaving the needle, and it's cleaner and nicer. Settings is supposed to mimic clock gears. But it's too cluttered and ugly. The old one is way better. Flatten that same basic design a bit and its golden.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Phone: iOS 7
Mail: iOS 7
Photos: iOS 6
Facetime: iOS 7
safari: iOS 6
Maps: iOS 7
Stocks: iOS 7
App Store: iOS 7
Weather: iOS 7
Clock: iOS 7 How can you not like the live icon?
Reminders: iOS 6
Newsstand: iOS 6
Music: iOS 7
Vidoes: iOS 7
Game Center: iOS 6
Contacts iOS 7
Compass: iOS 7
Calculator: iOS 7
Calendar: iOS 6
iTunes: iOS 7

And you forgot to include Settings, which I prefer iOS 6.

Overall: iOS 6 vs 7: 9:16

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
For me I largely prefer the ios 6 icons, I have included settings in my counting. For me the worst offenders, are Settings and Safari, with the runner ups being compass, Game centre and news stand. I also dislike how the circles on the app and itunes stores are large, they should be made smaller again...

Overall its 15:10 for me (the 15 being ios 6)

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
I prefer the iOS 7 icons for all of them. The only 2 I have issues with are Game Center and Newstand. These 2 stick out like a sore thumb from the rest. I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind the bubbles for game center.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Phone: iOS 6 - too light on iOS 7
Photos: iOS 7
Safari: iOS 6. Not even close.
Maps: iOS 7 - the best redesigned icon. More like this!
App Store: iOS 6 - horrid gradient and circle in iOS 7.
Weather: iOS 6
Clock: iOS 7
Newsstand: iOS 6
Music: iOS 6
Videos: iOS 6
Contacts iOS 7
Calculator: iOS 7
Calendar: iOS 6... iOS 7 if it had a border.
Settings: iOS 6 by a long way.

Overall: iOS 6 vs 7: 16:9

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Phone: iOS 7
Passbook: iOS 7
Photos: iOS 7
Safari: iOS 6
Maps: iOS 7
App Store: iOS 6
Weather: iOS 6
Clock: iOS 7
Newsstand: iOS 7
Music: iOS 7
Vidoes: iOS 7
Contacts iOS 7
Calculator: iOS 6
Calendar: iOS 6

Overall: iOS 6 vs 7: 11:13

Surprising result!

Heres a crazy theory (yeah i know it wont be the case) - the icons that are white are temporary - Safari, Photos, Reminders, NewsStand, Game Centre, Calendar - you know, all the bad icons ;)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The neon greens kind of hurt, even if I like the design otherwise.

Phone: 7
Passbook: 7
Mail: 7
Photos: 6, too different, lost familiar identity.
Facetime: 7, but should not be green. I associated green with carrier services, calls/sms.
safari: 6, ew, ugggh :barf:
Maps: 7
Notes: 7
Stocks: 7
App Store: 7
Weather: 7, both fail. I understand technological limitation of accurate real weather. They should be weather neutral. 4 quadrant calculator app could be mimicked showing 4 seasons.
Clock: 7
Reminders: 7
Newsstand: 7
Music: 6, changed too much, color identity, should have remained orange.
Videos: 7
Game Center: 6, changed too much, lost identity. Should have stylized a scoreboard or something.
Contacts: 7
Compass: 7
Camera: 7
Calculator: 7
Calendar: 7
iTunes: 7
Settings: 7

iOS6 : iOS7 :: 4:22

Last edited:

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Love the new icons. I think they are a move forward and I find them making my phone look fresh and bright.

The only one I don't LOVE is Settings.

I am SO GLAD we did away with the sunflower Photo icon. How many pictures of sunflowers have I taken? None. The color wheel makes a lot more sense.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The BIG question.

When does OSX get updated for these new icons. Why no synergy between OSX and iOS? For AppStore, Safari, etc!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.