Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

New iWork for Mac (and iOS) coming later this year

Hi Forum,

So that Roger guy confirmed that a new version of iWork will be coming later this year. What kind of features would you like to see in this new version?

Personally, I'd like some grammar correction since English isn't my native language but I use it my study.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
travod
macrumors member

I know at least in my iWork '09 there's no autosave, which has led to many nightmare situations in which certain five page papers have disappeared...

Another thing in mine is that I can't place pictures or tables wherever I want them, because they just end up defaulting to like top left or something.
travod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

A much improved autofilter in Numbers. One that I can just click on a button and see a list of unique column entries and select an entry to filter the the database. Do that...and I dump Excel.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
teejaysplace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travod View Post
I know at least in my iWork '09 there's no autosave, which has led to many nightmare situations in which certain five page papers have disappeared...

Another thing in mine is that I can't place pictures or tables wherever I want them, because they just end up defaulting to like top left or something.
Dude, seriously? Autosave didn't exist when I was in college and I never lost a single paper. It's ⌘+S, bud.
teejaysplace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:53 PM   #5
mfvisuals
macrumors member

Quote:

Autosave was introduced in OS X Lion 10.7.

Update your OS.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:

For many years I used word processors that had no autosave and never lost more than a paragraph or two. Don't blame the software

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaysplace View Post
Dude, seriously? Autosave didn't exist when I was in college and I never lost a single paper. It's ⌘+S, bud.
All I had was a typewriter, but I never lost a single paper either.
old-wiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #7
travod
macrumors member

I'm not blaming the software. I'm blaming myself because I dare to write papers without plugging my laptop in. I never quite know when it's going to shut down - sometimes it goes off at 20% and others it can stay on 0% for a while.
travod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Put the "Save As…" menu choice back into the menus...
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Attonine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Hi Forum,

So that Roger guy confirmed that a new version of iWork will be coming later this year. What kind of features would you like to see in this new version?

Personally, I'd like some grammar correction since English isn't my native language but I use it my study.

I teach freshman comp as well as various ESL related courses. As far as I can tell there has never been useful grammar correction in any word processing application, it tends to cause total confusion. I have had more arguments than I can count with students who swear they have done the right thing by allowing the application (usually Word) to auto correct their grammar, usually leaving a totally incomprehensible sentence!
Attonine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

I'm interested to see what Apple does this fall as well. I have office on my aging macbook, but I'll be getting a new mac soon and I'm kind of thinking I'll start fresh with iWork instead of Office.

It'll be interesting to see if iWork is a paid upgrade for existing MAS iWork users. I think it'll also be interesting to see how Apple implements iWork in the Cloud (free with purchase? recurring fee?)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
It'll be interesting to see if iWork is a paid upgrade for existing MAS iWork users. I think it'll also be interesting to see how Apple implements iWork in the Cloud (free with purchase? recurring fee?)
Thats exactly what I was wondering as well. I would like to think that it should be a free upgrade, however they could do the same thing what they do with OS X and offer a paid version instead. This will also give us a good indication as to whether future versions of iLife will be paid upgrades or not.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
Thats exactly what I was wondering as well. I would like to think that it should be a free upgrade, however they could do the same thing what they do with OS X and offer a paid version instead. This will also give us a good indication as to whether future versions of iLife will be paid upgrades or not.
It's a tough call about whether they will charge for iLife upgrades. On one hand, it comes with every new Mac. On the other hand, It's time to pay for both an OS and iLife upgrade, maybe it's time to buy a new computer anyway and get that as part of the new computer.

I suspect iWork will be charged for. right now some people have the current version originally installed from DVD and some from the App Store.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Zauberer
macrumors member

I expect they will charge for iWork, but one license will work across all devices.
Zauberer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #14
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
Put the "Save As…" menu choice back into the menus...
Command shift S
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:05 PM   #15
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
Command shift S
Or just put it back in the menu. Lion and Mountain Lion are shining examples of how, like MSFT, Apple sometimes tinkers with features that are just fine to begin with.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:16 PM   #16
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

Quote:

You must be using Pages. Either switch to the Layout template which lets you place images and graphics anywhere or us the inspector and select floating instead of in-line for those objects.

I'd like to see a lot of improvements.

Keynote
A timeline like in GB for accurate alignment of animations and soundtracks.

Some sort of layering to make it easier to deal with complex slides. I want to turn layers on and off during editing and rearrange their display hierarchy.

I'd like to pull down a light table providing quick access to a page of pre made slides and stacks of slides that I use often. When I make a presentation I have some new material but also would like to re-use sequences that convey specific information. This would really speed up the assembly of a keynote.

A reliable peer-to-peer remote control on my iPhone or iPad for driving Keynote on a Mac.

Pages
Not sure of the name, I'd like to see a linkage between something like Figure 1 in the text and the actual figure. In a large document that becomes hard to track.

Master pages like in Keynote.

Pages for the iPad should gain the Layout mode available on the Mac.

Auto paging should work in layout mode.

Numbers
Charting should accommodate larger sets of numbers. Currently it chokes if you try to plot a spectrum with 1024 values or more.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:46 PM   #17
kal101
macrumors member

"Save As..." is still in the menubar.

Go to the "File" menu (as you normally would) and press the "Option" key.
kal101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:32 AM   #18
saberahul
macrumors 68040

One thing numbers really needs is pivot tables
Old Jun 23, 2013, 04:12 AM   #19
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Numbers need to be faster. It is slower than a tortouise. I mailed Apple about it a year ago, and they wrote me back stating that they knew about it and were working on it, fortunately.
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"Go to the "File" menu (as you normally would) and press the "Option" key."

Nope.

What version of the OS, and what version of Pages are you using?

I'm using OS 10.8.4, Pages '09 version 4.3 (1048), on a 2012 Mac Mini.

"Save" menu (no option key pressed) gives me:
Close
Save
Revert To Saved…
Export >

Choosing from the "Save" menu WITH the option key pressed gives me:
Close All
Save
Revert To Saved…
Export >

I also have iWork installed on an older iMac (2007, white Intel) running OS 10.6.8. On that setup, Pages DOES give me a "Save As" option.

But NOT on the most modern Mac running the most recent version of the OS.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store