Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro and I haven't been able to take advantage of airplaying my Mac desktop to my apple TV . Yes, I know of all the 3rd party apps that do this but Its really not somethhing that is THAT important enough to go purchase somewhere. Has anyone heard if this will be changed in Mavericks? Website doesn't show the disclamer like it did on mountain lion so I am curious if something changed?.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
From my understanding, Mavericks will still depend upon the hardware support being in the CPU. I don't expect previous models to begin working in this version either. Sorry :(

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
It's all a hardware limitation. No OSX update will add airplay mirroring on older devices because of this. The only way that Apple would be able to do it would be by using an Airparrot type of solution, but I don't see this happening due to the lagging it would cause.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
It's all a hardware limitation. No OSX update will add airplay mirroring on older devices because of this. The only way that Apple would be able to do it would be by using an Airparrot type of solution, but I don't see this happening due to the lagging it would cause.

Don't tell the hacks at gizmodo that the actually have to look up hardware functionality :)

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Nope

I have a 13-inch, Mid 2009 MacBook Pro running Mavericks and no airplay. I use Airparrot - works ok most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.