Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
One of the main gripes I've got with the current Photos app in iOS 6 is the inability to create Events and have them sync back automatically to my iMac. I don't like the idea of Albums - it's all about Events for me.

In Monday's keynote, the new photo app was explained and it appears to have similar features to iPhoto's Events feature on OS X, except on iOS it's called "Moments". Does anybody know if it'll be possible on iOS 7 turn these "Moments" into "Events" and will it sync back to iPhoto on OS X?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
One of the main gripes I've got with the current Photos app in iOS 6 is the inability to create Events and have them sync back automatically to my iMac. I don't like the idea of Albums - it's all about Events for me.

In Monday's keynote, the new photo app was explained and it appears to have similar features to iPhoto's Events feature on OS X, except on iOS it's called "Moments". Does anybody know if it'll be possible on iOS 7 turn these "Moments" into "Events" and will it sync back to iPhoto on OS X?

iPhoto will be updated with moments most likely.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Yeah, not sure if Events and Moments are the same thing and Apple just picked a new word...

I'd like to see iPhoto with Events/Moments, grouped into Collections and then grouped into Years.

Only problem with Collections is we don't have location data for many photos in our iPhoto libraries as some of these are taken with older cameras with no GPS data. And it's hard to add this metadata to 30,000 pics...

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Does anybody know if it'll be possible on iOS 7 turn these "Moments" into "Events" and will it sync back to iPhoto on OS X?

It sounds like what you want if for your Photo Stream to sync in iCloud as curated Moments/Events. I assume that you just sync Photo Stream to OS X iPhoto through iCloud?

What I know you can do right now, is take an entire "Moment" and share it as a Shared Photo Stream (you could simply only share it with yourself).

One concern that I have is that Shared Photo Streams don't always let you download the photos in their full resolution (the might be more of an iOS problem than a OS X problem).

Another interesting thing to think about is where iPhoto for iOS fits into all of this. iPhoto for iOS hasn't gotten an update, and it will be interesting to see how Apple treats it.

I use Aperture on the Mac, and I have the regular Photos app and Aperture on iOS. While its the solution for photos that I like best, there is a bit of a lack of integrated terminology and features.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My iPhoto library is sorted into Events.

I copied a number of these events to iPhoto on my other laptop running 10.9.

The events are not syncing to the Photos app in iOS 7.

The photos themselves are synced but the actual grouping of the images into the event is not present. The Photos app has created moments but they are named differently (if at all) and the photos are spread across multiple Moments.

Has anybody had their Events sync successfully from iPhoto? Albums work as there's a tab for Albums but the Events tab has disappeared.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Has anybody had their Events sync successfully from iPhoto? Albums work as there's a tab for Albums but the Events tab has disappeared.

Ah. I have only synced Albums (as I usually curate down into an album that is the better photos from an "event")

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
They're BACK!

Beta 2 puts back the events on the iPhone 4.

Hooray!

Now I know when the family update I won't get support calls asking where their photos have gone.

Awesome!

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris

Hooray!

Now I know when the family update I won't get support calls asking where their photos have gone.

Awesome!

I would love to see that too. I have no albums only events , so thats good news.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK

Hooray!

Awesome!

Thank god for that. Now I'm just hoping they decide to restore the Faces and Places Features - PLUS the Slideshow button on the lock screen for iPad.
My main use for my iPad is a photo browser, I love using faces, places etc plus the Slideshow when the iPad is just sat charging on the shelf.
WHY did they remove these features? Fair enough add new features - but don't take away features that users have been used to for years. I can't possibly add up the amount of time I have spent adding locations and face tags to my 20K photo collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.