Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
So I tried restoring my phone today and it told me I had to disable find my iphone. I jsut went into DFU to restore it, but it got me thinking. Do you think Apple will be able to prevent people from restoring and wiping with DFU mode and still require you to do something involving find my iphone?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
So I tried restoring my phone today and it told me I had to disable find my iphone. I jsut went into DFU to restore it, but it got me thinking. Do you think Apple will be able to prevent people from restoring and wiping with DFU mode and still require you to do something involving find my iphone?

Hopefully, otherwise all the rigamoral was a waste.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Every iPhone has to be activated with Apple's servers after a restore.
iOS 7's new Activation Lock feature requires that phones that have been securely locked/wiped in the new fashion type in their Apple ID to complete activation.
Apart from a jailbreak hacktivation, there's no way around it.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Apparently not cause my phone activated before it asked me to sign in. Seeing as DFU mode replaces everything on the phone there's no way around that.

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Apparently not cause my phone activated before it asked me to sign in. Seeing as DFU mode replaces everything on the phone there's no way around that.

Huh. Mine didn't, and I even used DFU to restore back to 6. "This iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID. Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPhone."

Of course, stuff like this is why it's a beta... but I'm betting it is supposed to block activation even with a DFU restore.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

But it doesn't erase your phone's info from Apple's servers and that's the key.
Nothing has to be left on your phone for this new lock to work.
Once a phone gets linked to an Apple ID it can never be activated to a new ID without first unlinking the old.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY

This is what I was presented with after a DFU restore to 6 from 7.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 12.01.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 12.01.57 AM.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 197
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.