Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
JonL12345
macrumors member

Parallels dilemma - share data or not?

I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon
JonL12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL12345 View Post
I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon
I only use Parallels on my work account. I share the desktop and documents. It makes it easier to work across both operating systems for me.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:01 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
LongSticks
macrumors 6502

Use Dropbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.
I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSticks View Post
I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!
That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:26 PM   #6
LongSticks
macrumors 6502

Yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.
Remember that Dropbox uses a folder on the hard drive that it then backs up to the cloud, so it can dribble away uploading in the background.

I use my MBP when out and about tethered to an iPhone to get a 3G signal and it still works fine.

Everything is then visible on Windows as well as I have created a short cut in libraries in windows back to OSX dropbox folder as my save point!

Worth considering.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store