Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Julien
macrumors 601

Extreme AC Wireless Options 5Ghz

Just got a Extreme AC to replace my Extreme N. In setup it has a Wireless Options button (don't remember this before) that has a a 5 GHz option. It creates another WiFi with 5 GHz added on the end (so you have 2 WiFi). I checked this and connected this way. I had much lower speeds to my AirPort Express connecting to this WiFi. I thought 2.4/5GHz switching was auto and didn't need to be selected. Is this a new setup to the AC? I basically understand that higher frequencies can carry more data but have a more limited range. What is the beast way to setup and use?

Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Pretty much same screen for me on the (now) previous-generation Extreme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 7.44.01 PM.png
Views:	18
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	417093  
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Gav2k
macrumors 601

You must have had the generation before last not the dual band one.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Just got a Extreme AC to replace my Extreme N. In setup it has a Wireless Options button (don't remember this before) that has a a 5 GHz option. It creates another WiFi with 5 GHz added on the end (so you have 2 WiFi). I checked this and connected this way. I had much lower speeds to my AirPort Express connecting to this WiFi. I thought 2.4/5GHz switching was auto and didn't need to be selected. Is this a new setup to the AC? I basically understand that higher frequencies can carry more data but have a more limited range. What is the beast way to setup and use?

Those options have been there for quite a while. Nothing new.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
sick z33
macrumors 6502

Yes you an set up a seperate 5g SSID if you want only certain devices to utilize it. IMO i turned this off as my Apple devices will connect to the wireless using the best signal available.
sick z33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick z33 View Post
Yes you an set up a seperate 5g SSID if you want only certain devices to utilize it. IMO i turned this off as my Apple devices will connect to the wireless using the best signal available.
So by checking/creating you will have an additional 5GHz ONLY network (even though the screen allows you to select channel info for 2.4GHz) that will NOT use/switch to 2.4GHz (limiting range???)?

If you just use the "regular" WiFi you will get 5GHz and 2.4GHz (auto switching?)? If this is the case it would seem that there is little to no advantage in making a 5GHz only WiFi. Unless your devices were always in the same room as the Extreme (in which case wouldn't it just select 5GHz anyway?)?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:05 AM   #7
sick z33
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
So by checking/creating you will have an additional 5GHz ONLY network (even though the screen allows you to select channel info for 2.4GHz) that will NOT use/switch to 2.4GHz (limiting range???)?

If you just use the "regular" WiFi you will get 5GHz and 2.4GHz (auto switching?)? If this is the case it would seem that there is little to no advantage in making a 5GHz only WiFi. Unless your devices were always in the same room as the Extreme (in which case wouldn't it just select 5GHz anyway?)?
Correct. The advantage is that you can only have certain devices take priority of the 5GHZ. I found the range of 5GHZ to be very limited IMO.
sick z33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick z33 View Post
Correct. The advantage is that you can only have certain devices take priority of the 5GHZ. I found the range of 5GHZ to be very limited IMO.
Thanks, now I understand.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals