Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1
skewedview
macrumors newbie

Seven Guys, One Server [Finder Issues]

I'm hoping to possibly find a solution to a problem that has driven me crazy for a long time. In our office, we have a Mac Mini Server that seven of us are using to store all of our projects.

The problem is, two guys are graphic designers working with a couple hundred clients, one is strictly creating ads for two clients, I am a web developer, etc.

The graphic designers are constantly accessing the server, opening up folders and sorting by "Date Modified," as many of these clients have been with us for 15 years. The ad creator really only needs to see two of the client folders on the server.

We seem to constantly be battling between how our Finder windows look ... as when we make any change to sorting option, default view, etc, it is changing it on the server. So while I prefer to browse in a column list view, I open up the server folder and find everything is in Icon view.

I had downloaded PathFinder to see if perhaps it was just Finder changing those settings, and maybe by using a different file client, it would alleviate the problem. Alas, it has not. Any suggestions out there?
skewedview is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:15 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Code:
# Avoid creating .DS_Store files on network volumes
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool true
.DS_Store files are the ones that store the Finder view.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
ATorontoGirl
macrumors newbie

Some detail please

Our office has the exact same problem! I would love an elegant and permanent solution but am not sure how to execute the response. Is this entered into Terminal? Will this work on Mavericks?
Thanks for your help!
ATorontoGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion