Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Several of the new features of iOS 7 seem to be geared for iPhone users only. For instance, moments in the Photos app sorts photos by location, but when the iPod touch isn't near any networks, how will it know the location? In Today, how will it know which routes are traveled without GPS? And how will the new compass work? I wish the iPod touch had GPS :(

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Several of the new features of iOS 7 seem to be geared for iPhone users only. For instance, moments in the Photos app sorts photos by location, but when the iPod touch isn't near any networks, how will it know the location? In Today, how will it know which routes are traveled without GPS? And how will the new compass work? I wish the iPod touch had GPS :(

The photo will not have a location tag on it then. It will use wifi to tell location.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida

You want GPS? It's really simple -- get an iphone.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

Much the same way as iOS 6 does it. It uses the position of nearby Wi-Fi networks to determine location. Initially Apple used 'Skyhook Wireless'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

But now I believe Apple uses their own database of Wi-Fi networks.

I encountered this issue when using iOS 5 on iPod Touch 4G. I was taking photos out and about and they were all tagged with locations which confused me, so I googled it and found the above.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
You want GPS? It's really simple -- get an iphone.
I'm sorry I'm 15 and in high school with two siblings in college and my parents won't pay $40+ a month not to mention the cost of the phone itself just for me to have GPS when I already have the iPod touch 5. I don't even have a cell phone of my own at all. Please don't assume everyone can afford it just because you can.
Much the same way as iOS 6 does it. It uses the position of nearby Wi-Fi networks to determine location. Initially Apple used 'Skyhook Wireless'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

But now I believe Apple uses their own database of Wi-Fi networks.

I encountered this issue when using iOS 5 on iPod Touch 4G. I was taking photos out and about and they were all tagged with locations which confused me, so I googled it and found the above.
Oh okay, thanks for the information.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... I don't even have a cell phone of my own at all. Please don't assume everyone can afford it just because you can...

People here forget the MOST adults can't afford an iPhone. Yes many can. But simple cell phones can be dirt cheap. The prepaid phones have no contract you you only pay about 10 sets per minutes you use. Unless you are a teen age girl it would only cost less than $1 week to have a basic phone.

What the iPod does is look at the relative signal strengths of nearby WiFi. It does not need to connect to WiFi. It figures that if the signal is good you must be close so it looks at which are strong and which are weak signals. It can sometimes be very accurate and other time "off" by a few miles.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
They use WLAN (iOS 6.x.x and older) access points. They do not support GPS-devices via Bluetooth (NMEA 0183 or other protocols). And btw, even cheap Samsung media players have GPS:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-G70CWY/XAA-specs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.