Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
iOS 7 is officially in beta!

Many forum members are curious as to what is new in the latest version of iOS 7 so I decided to start a thread with an FAQ, a changelog and screenshots!
(Yes, I saw the sticky thread here. But I felt like making one of my own. If any MODs feel differently, I'll happily abandon it.)

FAQ:

• What is "iOS 7"?
    iOS 7 is next generation operating system (OS) for the iPhone, iPad and iPod. iOS 7 was unveiled at WWDC 2013 in San Francisco, California on June 10th.
  • So, how do I get it?
    Well, iOS 7 is in beta and as usual Apple has made iOS 7 beta only available to registered developers.
  • But my friend has it and he's not really a developer!
    For whatever reason, some people have decided to pay the $99 registration fee and have become an official developer just to get access to the beta. Others have also paid for UDID slots to register their device on a developers account and then downloaded the beta from an unofficial source. If you are not intending to actually develop and test your own app on iOS 7 then it is not recommended you try to install it on your device. Any requests or offers for UDID slots is prohibited on these forums. See here for more info.
  • Then when will it be available?
    This Fall. No more information was given by Apple.
  • Is my device compatible with iOS 7?
    Currently, the only devices compatible iOS 7 Beta 1 are:
    - iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
    - iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
    - iPhone 4S
    - iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
    - iPhone 4 (GSM)
    - iPhone 4 (CDMA)
    - iPod touch (5th generation)

Although iPad is not listed, it is expected to be available sometime soon.
    Compatibility with iOS 7 is subject to change.

CHANGELOG

Springboard
    - The default font used across iOS 7 is Heveltica Neue Light
    - All stock apps have had their icons redesigned with a flatter and brighter look.
    - The signal bars in the system menu bar has been replaced with 5 circles from left to right.
    - While charging, a new pulsating bright green lighting bolt icon appears to the right of the battery in the system menu bar.
    - Spotlight search has been moved to the top of every springboard page accessible by pulling down from anywhere in the homescreen outside the dock and system menu bar.
    - The dock has replaced the glass shelf with a translucent background.
    - App names no longer have a drop shadow.

Compass
    - A new second page in the compass app reveals a level tool.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.