Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ok so long story short I have 500gbs of video footage to transfer off of a g4 running tiger to my main windows 8 rig, the only issue is that I have no fricking idea how to get the two machines to talk.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If networking does not work (and I have tried many times with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Windows XP and Windows 7, sometimes it works, sometimes the same steps do not work), what about using an external HDD or HDD enclosure to put the HDD from your G4 into?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
If they are on the same network, you should have no problems with the sharing options in OSX. Failing that, every machine has Python installed, enter this in a terminal:
Code:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080

Open up a web browser on your Windows machine and go to http://ip.of.your.mac:8080. You will then be able to download any file you are able to browse through via HTTP.

If you are more confident on the commandline, scp is your friend.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Could not get sharing to work, had to re import everything clip by clip to make sure that each clip is less than 4 gigs so I can still work with it raw and transfer it over on a large external drive

tedious but it should be worth it to keep my older cameras in use for years to come

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is, very much for the consumer. But for the professional who just wants to get a bit of work done and no play. It should work just fine on my quicksilver for "This task"

That is simply wrong. Just because you can't load facebook (which I want to verify), doesn't qualify an OS as dead.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
It is, very much for the consumer. But for the professional who just wants to get a bit of work done and no play. It should work just fine on my quicksilver for "This task"

That isn't dead, your still getting use out of it and so are other people whether they are on Intel or PowerPC.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
That is simply wrong. Just because you can't load facebook (which I want to verify), doesn't qualify an OS as dead.

put it on your mdd, run firefox (won't load) run omniweb and tenfourfox and safari latest version for tiger. None of them won't load facebook

so for the consumer who just wants to use an older pro tower to check facebook

Tiger is dead

but to the professional who just wants it to edit standard deff videos in Final cut pro

Tiger will last forever

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Facebook loads fine for me on Safari and it loaded even better on Camino when I had it a few months back and loads fine on Roccat.

Who judges if a WHOLE OS is dead by whether or not a certain internet browser can load ONE, SINGLE website? :rolleyes:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
put it on your mdd, run firefox (won't load) run omniweb and tenfourfox and safari latest version for tiger. None of them won't load facebook

so for the consumer who just wants to use an older pro tower to check facebook

Tiger is dead

but to the professional who just wants it to edit standard deff videos in Final cut pro

Tiger will last forever

I will tell you that I still run Camino on my DP1.42FW800 and facebook opens fine, and the kids even watch youtube videos on it. So whatever you telling that Tiger is dead is a fallacy. Until the time comes that the hardware kisses the ground that is the time that the OS will be dead.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
If networking does not work (and I have tried many times with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Windows XP and Windows 7, sometimes it works, sometimes the same steps do not work), what about using an external HDD or HDD enclosure to put the HDD from your G4 into?

AFAIK that needs the drive to be FAT32, so Windows can read and copy the files. While Macs can read (but not write) from NTFS.

There is Tuxera, 15 days test version, that adds NTFS write drivers to 10.4 and 10.5, but I do not recommend it, others report file corruption or data loss. I had to completely erase the drive 2 times and start again with copying small numbers of files after one another, until it worked, because it hang up during copy process.

Nov 28, 2010
located
AFAIK that needs the drive to be FAT32, so Windows can read and copy the files. While Macs can read (but not write) from NTFS.

There is Tuxera, 15 days test version, that adds NTFS write drivers to 10.4 and 10.5, but I do not recommend it, others report file corruption or data loss. I had to completely erase the drive 2 times and start again with copying small numbers of files after one another, until it worked, because it hang up during copy process.

One could use MacDrive or HFSExplorer to read the HFS+ formatted volume though.

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.