Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Considering 4.7" and 5.7" Screens for 2014 iPhone Models, iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone Due in September

Reuters reports that Apple is looking closely at larger screens for upcoming iPhone models, indicating that the company is specifically testing display sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.7 inches for iPhone models that could launch next year. The iPhone 5 carries a 4-inch display, up from the 3.5-inch displays found in prior models.
Quote:
Apple is looking at introducing at least two bigger iPhones next year - one with a 4.7-inch screen and one with a 5.7-inch screen - said the sources, including those in the supply chain in Asia. They said suppliers have been approached with plans for the larger screens, but noted it is still unclear whether Apple will actually launch its flagship product in the larger sizes.

"They constantly change product specifications almost to the final moment, so you're not really sure whether this is the final prototype," said one person with direct knowledge of the matter.
The report also addresses Apple's plans for this year, claiming that the company is expected to deliver both an iPhone 5S with fingerprint sensor technology and a lower-cost iPhone in multiple colors in the September timeframe.
Quote:
For this year, Apple is expected to launch two new models, widely referred to as the iPhone 5S, with new fingerprint technology, and a cheaper version in plastic casing, supply chain sources have said. Apple plans to dress up the cheaper phone in a range of 5-6 colors to differentiate it from the more expensive model that has traditionally come only in black and white.

The U.S. firm has discussed a price of $99 for the cheaper phone, the timing of which could slip to next year, one of the people said. It's not yet clear what the final price would be.
Rendering of color options for lower-cost iPhone
A separate report from Mac Otakara today claims that the cheaper iPhone will adopt colors from Apple's line of iPhone 4 bumpers, while the iPhone 5S will add a gold model in addition to the traditional black and white models.
Quote:
Now I got an information from reliable source what the color set of low-cost iPhone seems to be same as iPhone 4 Bumper color.

Black, white, pink, orange and blue will be set. Green seems to be removed from it according to that information.

That source did not say if (PRODUCT) red-model is planed or not.

And, iPhone 5S, which will be shipped in August, has new color model. It is Gold, which color is reported by BGR with showing SIM-tray photos.
Finally, Reuters corroborates an April report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, claiming that trial production of the lower-cost iPhone had been planned to occur this month but that issues with color coatings have slowed that progress.

Rumors of a fingerprint-sensing iPhone 5S and lower-cost plastic iPhone have been ramping up for some time, and there have also been sporadic rumors of larger-screen iPhone models as competitors have increasingly embraced displays in the range of 5 inches or more.

Article Link: Apple Considering 4.7" and 5.7" Screens for 2014 iPhone Models, iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone Due in September
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Taipan
macrumors regular

4,7" is too big already, 5,7" is ridiculous for a phone.
Taipan is offline   64 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 AM   #3
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

Looks like Dubai will be getting their gold iPhones.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
5,7" is just too big...
agreed....4.7 is believable, but 5.7 I do not see happening.
mattopotamus is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 AM   #5
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

Of course they're testing different sizes - that's what Apple does in its r&d.

They tested dozens of sizes for the original iPad, before settling on the final proportions.. we know that from the SJ biography.

It doesn't mean they're ever likely to be released as final products... nor does it rule that out.
BMcCoy is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
4,7" is too big already, 5,7" is ridiculous for a phone.

Don't buy it then.
Blue Velvet is offline   55 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 AM   #7
wouwout
macrumors member

Finally! Choice! I'd love a 5.7 screen, hardly use my smartphone for calling, it's my portable mini computer.
BTW if they wait until late 2014, their market share will drop even more. Get these larger iphones out later this year.
wouwout is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:40 AM   #8
iMacx
macrumors member

Gold? No thank you.
iMacx is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:41 AM   #9
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwout View Post
Finally! Choice! I love a 5.7 screen, hardly use my smartphone for calling, it's my portable mini computer.
Then why not buy a mini iPad?? It's even bigger... (and cheaper)
BMcCoy is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Parzival
macrumors newbie

Gold?

Last edited by Parzival; Jun 13, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
Parzival is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Vol7ron
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Vol7ron
Aw man, look at all the bling on my Gold iPhone....lol

I guess I would have to see it first before passing judgement...But I do like the size of my iPhone 5 right now. It is just the right size...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:44 AM   #12
wouwout
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCoy View Post
Then why not buy a mini iPad?? It's even bigger... (and cheaper)
Because I still make a few calls a day. Apple needs to get more options out, phone use can be very different
wouwout is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:46 AM   #13
Mic'sBook
macrumors member

This move may attract people who buy Android 'phablets' or Android phones with larger displays to the iPhone. There's clearly a market for smartphones with larger displays.

Just like iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, they have 2 different display sizes for people to choose from. Why not iPhone? About time! (though I myself prefer one-handed operation with a 4-inch display)
Mic'sBook is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Jayse
macrumors regular

Will. Not. Happen.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:48 AM   #15
chocolaterabbit
macrumors regular

Next year is leaving it way too late for a bigger iPhone.
chocolaterabbit is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:51 AM   #16
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolaterabbit View Post
Next year is leaving it way too late for a bigger iPhone.
I'm not as concerned about screen size as I am:

- Battery Life

- Durability

But that's just me...
Mr Fusion is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:52 AM   #17
teesquared
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic'sBook View Post
This move may attract people who buy Android 'phablets' or Android phones with larger displays to the iPhone. There's clearly a market for smartphones with larger displays.
absolutely! i want to join the iPhone family but i'm not going back to a small screen. my Nexus 4 is perfect size imo
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Macmuft
macrumors newbie

4.7 inches and 5.7 inches for iPhone in one word ?
ridiculous

why not a 7.9 inches iPhone ?

Macmuft is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:54 AM   #19
OMGwtfBBQwings
macrumors regular

with the whole "swipe navigation" on iOS 7, I think there may be new screen sizes in the near future. instead of trying to reach for the back button when in a message thread, you can just swipe back. this'll be handy on a 4.7" when you won't be able to reach it with one hand.
OMGwtfBBQwings is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:57 AM   #20
daneoni
macrumors G4

Dear Apple go to 4.5" and stop there. thats the best size for a smartphone.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:01 AM   #21
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

This 'article' is just a collection of rumors over the last few years.

And then the gold thing...
skippymac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:03 AM   #22
Ballis
macrumors 6502

I would actually prefer it if they started doing 3.5 again. I much prefer the iphone 4 size to the 5
Ballis is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:04 AM   #23
Osullivan1
macrumors 6502

4.7 I could live with (just about)... 5.7, just no. If I wanted a phablet I'd switch to Android. Although, that said, I'd be pretty happy with a 4.3 or maybe 4.5" phone
Osullivan1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:08 AM   #24
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

but but Schiller said that the current iphone 5 screen size is perfect

Smartass is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:11 AM   #25
snipper
macrumors member

Bigger screen for the iPhone? Could be. I would buy one and there are bigger screened smart phones.

Although I'ld like to buy an iPhone for $100, this would mean a radical cut-back in costs, ending in a extremely simplified iPhone, or an older model from a few generations back.

Remember that Apple want the top, most profitable part of the market, not necessarily the biggest part of the market. A very cheap iPhone does not fit in that model very well.
snipper is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion