Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Apple is looking closely at larger screens for upcoming iPhone models, indicating that the company is specifically testing display sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.7 inches for iPhone models that could launch next year. The iPhone 5 carries a 4-inch display, up from the 3.5-inch displays found in prior models.
Apple is looking at introducing at least two bigger iPhones next year - one with a 4.7-inch screen and one with a 5.7-inch screen - said the sources, including those in the supply chain in Asia. They said suppliers have been approached with plans for the larger screens, but noted it is still unclear whether Apple will actually launch its flagship product in the larger sizes.

"They constantly change product specifications almost to the final moment, so you're not really sure whether this is the final prototype," said one person with direct knowledge of the matter.
The report also addresses Apple's plans for this year, claiming that the company is expected to deliver both an iPhone 5S with fingerprint sensor technology and a lower-cost iPhone in multiple colors in the September timeframe.
For this year, Apple is expected to launch two new models, widely referred to as the iPhone 5S, with new fingerprint technology, and a cheaper version in plastic casing, supply chain sources have said. Apple plans to dress up the cheaper phone in a range of 5-6 colors to differentiate it from the more expensive model that has traditionally come only in black and white.

The U.S. firm has discussed a price of $99 for the cheaper phone, the timing of which could slip to next year, one of the people said. It's not yet clear what the final price would be.
lower_cost_iphone_colors.jpg
Rendering of color options for lower-cost iPhone
A separate report from Mac Otakara today claims that the cheaper iPhone will adopt colors from Apple's line of iPhone 4 bumpers, while the iPhone 5S will add a gold model in addition to the traditional black and white models.
Now I got an information from reliable source what the color set of low-cost iPhone seems to be same as iPhone 4 Bumper color.

Black, white, pink, orange and blue will be set. Green seems to be removed from it according to that information.

That source did not say if (PRODUCT) red-model is planed or not.

And, iPhone 5S, which will be shipped in August, has new color model. It is Gold, which color is reported by BGR with showing SIM-tray photos.
Finally, Reuters corroborates an April report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, claiming that trial production of the lower-cost iPhone had been planned to occur this month but that issues with color coatings have slowed that progress.

Rumors of a fingerprint-sensing iPhone 5S and lower-cost plastic iPhone have been ramping up for some time, and there have also been sporadic rumors of larger-screen iPhone models as competitors have increasingly embraced displays in the range of 5 inches or more.

Article Link: Apple Considering 4.7" and 5.7" Screens for 2014 iPhone Models, iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone Due in September

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Of course they're testing different sizes - that's what Apple does in its r&d.

They tested dozens of sizes for the original iPad, before settling on the final proportions.. we know that from the SJ biography.

It doesn't mean they're ever likely to be released as final products... nor does it rule that out.

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
Finally! Choice! I'd love a 5.7 screen, hardly use my smartphone for calling, it's my portable mini computer.
BTW if they wait until late 2014, their market share will drop even more. Get these larger iphones out later this year.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Aw man, look at all the bling on my Gold iPhone....lol

I guess I would have to see it first before passing judgement...But I do like the size of my iPhone 5 right now. It is just the right size...

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
This move may attract people who buy Android 'phablets' or Android phones with larger displays to the iPhone. There's clearly a market for smartphones with larger displays.

Just like iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, they have 2 different display sizes for people to choose from. Why not iPhone? About time! (though I myself prefer one-handed operation with a 4-inch display)

teesquared

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
This move may attract people who buy Android 'phablets' or Android phones with larger displays to the iPhone. There's clearly a market for smartphones with larger displays.

absolutely! i want to join the iPhone family but i'm not going back to a small screen. my Nexus 4 is perfect size imo

Macmuft

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
4.7 inches and 5.7 inches for iPhone in one word ?
ridiculous

why not a 7.9 inches iPhone ?

…

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
with the whole "swipe navigation" on iOS 7, I think there may be new screen sizes in the near future. instead of trying to reach for the back button when in a message thread, you can just swipe back. this'll be handy on a 4.7" when you won't be able to reach it with one hand.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Dear Apple go to 4.5" and stop there. thats the best size for a smartphone.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
4.7 I could live with (just about)... 5.7, just no. If I wanted a phablet I'd switch to Android. Although, that said, I'd be pretty happy with a 4.3 or maybe 4.5" phone :)

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
Bigger screen for the iPhone? Could be. I would buy one and there are bigger screened smart phones.

Although I'ld like to buy an iPhone for $100, this would mean a radical cut-back in costs, ending in a extremely simplified iPhone, or an older model from a few generations back.

Remember that Apple want the top, most profitable part of the market, not necessarily the biggest part of the market. A very cheap iPhone does not fit in that model very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.