Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Humex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Hi,

Quicktime does not want to start the .AVI files. Only .MP4 files works correctly. http://d.pr/i/IJAS

The Perian support is no longer maintained and was last updated for OS X 10.8.

MPlayerX does not work on OS X 10.9 (RIP more signal developer since early 2012).

VLC is more than I but less well optimized as MPlayerX.

Someone of you has the same problem as me on Quicktime?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Yup Quicktime X will not open .avi files but VLC or Quicktime 7 will.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Hi,

Quicktime does not want to start the .AVI files. Only .MP4 files works correctly. http://d.pr/i/IJAS

The Perian support is no longer maintained and was last updated for OS X 10.8.

MPlayerX does not work on OS X 10.9 (RIP more signal developer since early 2012).

VLC is more than I but less well optimized as MPlayerX.

Someone of you has the same problem as me on Quicktime?

has anyone tried Mplayer OS X extended to see if that works on Mavericks?

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I wish Quicktime was able to play more file formats. I was using Perian but they stopped development for that. VLC will have to be my go to media player.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
It is almost definitely because the Quicktime framework has been deprecated in favor of AVkit, so things will need to be rewritten for it.

P.S. Quicktime have never played AVI's, without having something like Perian installed.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Also complicating matters is that AVI isn't actually one specific format. Instead, it's a generic container that can hold many, MANY movie codecs. For that reason, supporting AVI is far from simple.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Also complicating matters is that AVI isn't actually one specific format. Instead, it's a generic container that can hold many, MANY movie codecs. For that reason, supporting AVI is far from simple.
AVI has also some limitations, and is obsolete. The replacement is the MP4 file format.

http://handbrake.fr/news.php?article=10

AVI: AVI is a rough beast. It is obsolete. It does not support modern container features like chapters, muxed-in subtitles, variable framerate video, or out of order frame display. Furthermore, HandBrake's AVI muxer is vanilla AVI 1.0 that doesn't even support large files. The code has not been actively maintained since 2005. Keeping it in the library while implementing new features means a very convoluted data pipeline, full of conditionals that make the code more difficult to read and maintain, and make output harder to predict. As such, it is now gone. It is not coming back, and good riddance.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
it's not working

That's not true. MPlayerX does work on Mavericks.

My issue is AVI files no longer player in QuickLook and QuickTime for me on Mavericks. They used to play in Mountain Lion (via Perian?)

----------

Quicktime has never opened .avi files

Yes it does. Perhaps not a new Mac out of the box, but with Flip4Mac and Perian installed is always has opened them just fine for me. That is, it did before installing Mavericks.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
QuickTime has been handling the avi file format natively since version 5 at least. It doesn't require perian or other plugins. These are required only in the video uses certain codecs.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775
See? AVI is listed there, and it certainly doesn't assume that you have perian installed (or else they would include mkv in the list).

QuickTime is deprecated in Mavericks and as misleading as it sounds, QuickTime Player (X) no longer uses QuickTime. The new video framework don't support avi.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
QuickTime has been handling the avi file format natively since version 5 at least. It doesn't require perian or other plugins. These are required only in the video uses certain codecs.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775
See? AVI is listed there, and it certainly doesn't assume that you have perian installed (or else they would include mkv in the list).

QuickTime is deprecated in Mavericks and as misleading as it sounds, QuickTime Player (X) no longer uses QuickTime. The new video framework don't support avi.
Just to make sure we're absolutely clear: QuickTime Player (X) in Mavericks is based on something other than QTKit, the framework used when QTX was originally introduced. Alas, I don't remember its name.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Just to make sure we're absolutely clear: QuickTime Player (X) in Mavericks is based on something other than QTKit, the framework used when QTX was originally introduced. Alas, I don't remember its name.

Does this mean that QTKitServer is no longer needed? The reason why I ask is because I see QTKitSerer-(some numbers) Safari (Not Responding) in Activity Monitor regularly.

Thanks.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013

They should at least support the most common formats. IMO these are the formats any half-decent video player should support, listed as Codec/Container:

Xvid/Avi
DivX/Avi
h.264/mp4
h.264/mkv

Windows 7 can play all these out of the box with the exception of mkv files, quicktime is way too limited in its format support, it lacks support for some very common formats. Good thing we have mplayerx and vlc. I've been using MplayerX on mavericks (was using VLC previously, but its a little bit buggy on mac), and its working wonderfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.