Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Working with Logitech and MOGA on Upcoming MFi Game Controllers

During Apple's WWDC keynote, the company revealed that a number of new APIs will be introduced with iOS 7, including support for MFi (Made for iPhone) certified hardware game controllers, which will allow manufacturers to design and release dedicated iOS gaming peripherals.

Some new information on the controllers has been made available to us from a variety of sources, including Czech site Jablickar.cz, which reports that Apple will team up with both Logitech and MOGA to produce the upcoming controllers. While no details on design have been leaked, Apple did provide two reference images to developers displaying a standalone handheld controller and an iPhone enclosure.

A MOGA Controller
Both of the aforementioned companies already produce gaming controllers for use with PCs and Android. Major gaming companies like Gameloft, Mad Finger Games, SEGA, and Rockstar Games all offer support for MOGA's Android controllers, suggesting that support for Apple's upcoming controllers is likely too.

Games that include support for the controllers will be required to support traditional touch-based gaming input as well. Though Apple has prototype controllers on-hand at WWDC, the company is expecting the third party controllers to debut in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Working with Logitech and MOGA on Upcoming MFi Game Controllers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Shattentor
macrumors member

Now open the ATV for 3rd party apps and my gaming dream will come true
Shattentor is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
GSPice
macrumors 68000

All we're asking for is a legal NES emulator.
GSPice is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular

They just need to come up with something like this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...into-a-console
Speedy Gonzalez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Sky Blue

Apple said during one of the WWDC videos that Logitech and MOGA controllers will be out in the fall.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:27 PM   #6
jm001
macrumors 6502

Off da hook! Sweet!
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Controller support is one of my favourite iOS 7 features.
Bathplug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Though I agree something is cooking in the oven with the ATV and gaming, I am reluctant to say it will be coming this fall since Apple would have debuted it for their developers last week so they could bring their games to the ATV app store.
knemonic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:05 PM   #9
afawcett
macrumors member

I hope they make a controller that looks more like the reference images. The Moga is fugly.
afawcett is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
NES? Uh, no. GBA, GC, and N64 please!

Actually, there is an NES emulator (or at least there was recently) on the App Store disguised as something else. It's called Gridlee I think. It looks like a normal game, but it's an NES emulator with a built-in ROM that you can switch out with something like Diskaid for other ROMs... totally "legal", non-jailbreaking, sanctioned by Apple.

Last edited by donutbagel; Jun 13, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:30 PM   #11
CReimer
macrumors member

Still waiting for Apple to support the original Atari joystick for those of us who only need ONE button on our joysticks.
CReimer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Eminemdrdre00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
With the way the Wii U is selling... Nintendo will have no choice but to release their games on iOS!
16GB iPad Air
Eminemdrdre00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #13
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattentor View Post
Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted). Fine for racing in my view, and puzzles and strategy... not so good for twitch shooters or ultra-precise platformers. (Although the game parameters could be tweaked to help hide the lag for some actions.)

I love gaming from iOS to TV, and would love a controller, but I'm realistic about the limitations. iOS is best on its own screen. (Which would make portable controllers for iPhone/iPad Mini very tempting.)
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #14
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted). Fine for racing in my view, and puzzles and strategy... not so good for twitch shooters or ultra-precise platformers. (Although the game parameters could be tweaked to help hide the lag for some actions.)

I love gaming from iOS to TV, and would love a controller, but I'm realistic about the limitations. iOS is best on its own screen. (Which would make portable controllers for iPhone/iPad Mini very tempting.)
Hi mate!
If AppleTV itself runs the game, the only little lag would be on the controller itself. For iOS most action games would be lag free only on its screens, but official joypad support would be cool imho.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:45 PM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
With the way the Wii U is selling... Nintendo will have no choice but to release their games on iOS!
What makes you say that? Nintendo has enough cash on hand to run the company at a loss for several years. Nintendo and Apple are a lot alike - neither of them will ever compromise of having control of the entire system. If its their software, it's on their hardware, and if its on their hardware, it's been approved by them if it isn't by them.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:46 PM   #16
portishead
Banned

Quote:
I didn't even think about Apple TV, that would be awesome. iPad Mini would be an awesome portable gaming machine.

Quote:
I would die happy. But I don't think it will happen. I suspect some developers will release games on their own. Can I just get Tecmo Super Bowl please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Controller support is one of my favourite iOS 7 features.
Yup, same here!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted).
Lightning HDMI connector has lag? That's VERY disappointing. Airplay is understandable as it's wireless, but there shouldn't be lag with a lightning connector to HDMI.
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #17
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Wii Pro

I hope someone makes a controller like the Wii U Pro controller. I know sounds weird, but it's a great design. I want that one on my iOS devices.
theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Apex2206
macrumors newbie

ive been thinking this forever whats the hold Up!!!? Apple..

Quote:
ive been thinking this forever whats the hold Up!!!? Apple..
Apex2206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:30 PM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I don't understand anyone who says Apple needs an App Store or an SDK for the Apple TV. Both iOS and OS X already:

1 - Have app stores
2 - Have SDKs
3 - Can stream any content to an Apple TV

There's no need for the Apple TV to have an official App Store - all that Apple needs is for developers to start making more apps that can stream content to the Apple TV and to promote those apps.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:00 PM   #20
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand

...the need for a controller for a handheld device. Now if this can be used on the mac I'm in.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Motawa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Apple said during one of the WWDC videos that Logitech and MOGA controllers will be out in the fall.
what video? didnt hear them saying that.
Motawa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:06 PM   #22
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I don't understand anyone who says Apple needs an App Store or an SDK for the Apple TV. Both iOS and OS X already:

1 - Have app stores
2 - Have SDKs
3 - Can stream any content to an Apple TV

There's no need for the Apple TV to have an official App Store - all that Apple needs is for developers to start making more apps that can stream content to the Apple TV and to promote those apps.
Try streaming a game - or anything dynamic besides straight video - to the Apple TV.
donutbagel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Sol
macrumors 65832

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
At the rate that iOS devices get hardware upgrades, an iPhone could be more powerful than a PS4 before the next generation of consoles is over.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:52 PM   #24
Namjins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post

I would die happy. But I don't think it will happen. I suspect some developers will release games on their own. Can I just get Tecmo Super Bowl please?
Not trolling with this, but I just never saw the appeal of Tecmo Super Bowl. I bought it at a yard sale when i was young and never got more than 5 minutes into it.
Namjins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:04 PM   #25
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namjins View Post
Not trolling with this, but I just never saw the appeal of Tecmo Super Bowl. I bought it at a yard sale when i was young and never got more than 5 minutes into it.
troll harder. http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/sto...ideo-games-all
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion