Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Amy2005
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Will my 2007 iMac cope with 10.7?

Hi,

I have a 2007 iMac currently running 10.6.8, and with 4GB memory (see pic).



I used to have 10.7 on this iMac with 2GB memory and a 250GB hard drive, but it ran really, really slow.. So I got some extra memory and a new 500GB hard drive put in (and it had a good clean inside). Is there any chance 10.7 will work smoothly now, or is my mac just too old? I don't want to take the risk and have to do a full system restore, as my DVD drive no longer works either (Maybe time for a new mac! )

I like 10.6, but I miss having iCloud syncing my calendar

Thanks,
Amy
Amy2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
fig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
I have Lion on a late '06 iMac with 3gb of RAM. It runs well enough, though I think the SSD helps greatly.
__________________
figdigital | @figdigital | dribbble
fig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Yes it'll work just fine. 10.8 may even be faster on it than 10.7.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Amy2005
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
I have Lion on a late '06 iMac with 3gb of RAM. It runs well enough, though I think the SSD helps greatly.
Ah that's great thank you! :-) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers ))

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Yes it'll work just fine. 10.8 may even be faster on it than 10.7.
Oh wow, that's great, thank you! I'll give 10.8 a go
Amy2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy2005 View Post
Ah that's great thank you! :-) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers )
No it does not have SSD.

I have a Mid 2007 iMac running 10.8.4 with 4 GB Ram and runs just fine. From what I have read it will even be able to run 10.9 Maverick when it comes out. But I believe that will be the last OS upgrade I will be able to do. I will have to wait and see, but no problem with 10.8.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Amy2005
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
No it does not have SSD.

I have a Mid 2007 iMac running 10.8.4 with 4 GB Ram and runs just fine. From what I have read it will even be able to run 10.9 Maverick when it comes out. But I believe that will be the last OS upgrade I will be able to do. I will have to wait and see, but no problem with 10.8.
Ah thank you This news has made me rather happy! I was thinking the poor mac would be considered 'past it' and wouldn't take too kindly to the newer OS X I shall get it updated tomorrow!
May have to get rid of Adobe CS3 and Final Cut Studio 5 from the iMac though (as I've heard the compatibility with 10.7 and 10.8 isn't good), and just use them on the MacBook Pro (which I'm keeping with 10.6.8 I think) as the DVD drive on that is still going strong
Amy2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy2005 View Post
Ah thank you This news has made me rather happy! I was thinking the poor mac would be considered 'past it' and wouldn't take too kindly to the newer OS X I shall get it updated tomorrow!
May have to get rid of Adobe CS3 and Final Cut Studio 5 from the iMac though (as I've heard the compatibility with 10.7 and 10.8 isn't good), and just use them on the MacBook Pro (which I'm keeping with 10.6.8 I think) as the DVD drive on that is still going strong
I am running CS5 on my old iMac and no problems. CS4 was no problem either. Would not know about CS3, never had it installed on that iMac. My 2007 iMac is the family computer. It is used for school work, web surfing, some photo editing and the odd little design job for the family. You always have your MacBook for the heavy work. Good luck with the upgrade, pretty sure you will enjoy the new OS.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Amy2005
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
I am running CS5 on my old iMac and no problems. CS4 was no problem either. Would not know about CS3, never had it installed on that iMac. My 2007 iMac is the family computer. It is used for school work, web surfing, some photo editing and the odd little design job for the family. You always have your MacBook for the heavy work. Good luck with the upgrade, pretty sure you will enjoy the new OS.
Thank you I'm looking forward to the upgrades. I always thought of giving it a go, but always chickened out. It's a good idea I think to keep the MacBook Pro for the heavier work, and leave the iMac as more of a leisure computer Thanks again.
Amy2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
fig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy2005 View Post
Ah that's great thank you! :-) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers ))
As mentioned it does not, I installed it myself and it MASSIVELY sped up the machine overall.

And I've got CS3 running on it reasonably well, unless I get into really big Photoshop files or overly complex Illustrator files it does just fine.
__________________
figdigital | @figdigital | dribbble
fig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
KaraH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC
I have an '07 iMac running 10.6.8. I know many things did not get upgraded to work with 10.7+ and now I am getting a new machine of some sort. At this point I will leave my '07 alone so I will always (well, until the '07 actually dies) be able to run anything that worked before.
__________________
through the years: Apple ][ eventually upgraded to a //e (and it never really died), Centris 660AV, PowerMac 7600, Macbook, iPod 5G, eMac, a couple of aluminium iMacs, STILL hoping for a 2013 MP
KaraH is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using 2007 iMac as second display to 2013 iMac RicardoS iMac 4 Jan 5, 2014 02:20 PM
Migrate 2007 imac or start fresh with my new imac i-Rich iMac 3 Feb 14, 2013 04:17 AM
Upgrade 2007 iMac or get a new iMac vs Mini + Monitor combination ozone iMac 19 Jan 16, 2013 03:26 AM
How do you cope with 128GB? chrisrosemusic1 MacBook Air 31 Sep 10, 2012 12:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC