Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Utrecht - The Netherlands
Does anyone has experience editing 10 Bit 4:2:2 material on a Powerbook 1.67GHz in Final Cut Pro?

Im used to a G5 with a Blackmagic card, and think a PB can't edit it in Realtime Preview?

I hope someone can proof me wrong couse I've orderd a PB 17" two days ago.:)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
no experience perse but I can tell you that it will be near impossible to get a realtime preview even on a G5 without some sort of super card in it.

You are looking at HUGE HUGE HUGE detailed video files and you want to work with them on a laptop...

srry i have to laugh.

that aside, you can probably work with it but you wont get snappy response nor good render times and might want to rip your hair out by the end.

:confused:

DSign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Utrecht - The Netherlands
no experience perse but I can tell you that it will be near impossible to get a realtime preview even on a G5 without some sort of super card in it.

Im used to editing 10 bit Uncompressed on a Dual G5 2GHz with a Blackmagic card in it wich works perfectly. ?Near impossible? Nope.:)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I don't think you can. I edit 10-bit Uncompressed with a Cinewave card on a dual 2.0 G5, but when I try to bring the footage onto a Powerbook...it's impossible to play without every other frame stopping. It's not the processor so much, it's the hard drive speed and interface. We use a large RAID array with a high speed interface, but even when I play the footage off the SATA internal drives on the G5, it's darn near impossible to play smoothly. So I would say no....

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
MovieCutter said:
It's not the processor so much, it's the hard drive speed and interface. We use a large RAID array with a high speed interface, but even when I play the footage off the SATA internal drives on the G5, it's darn near impossible to play smoothly. So I would say no....

I have no experience with editing video (exept dorking around with iMovie), but if it's the HDD that's the bottleneck, couldn't you use a FW800 external?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
SATA is 1500 Mbps, whereas FW800 is 800 Mbps...so no...you couldn't use a FW800 drive. Uncompressed video requires a great deal of storage, bandwidth and processing power, hence the need for special RAID setups when dealing with this format...especially DigitalBeta 10-Bit Uncompressed like I do.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I think most people who edit on a PB do so with DV25 footage or JPEG proxies. I think it impossible now to edit 10-bit uncompressed on a PowerBook, unless you have a raided drive. Even then, not sure of the throughput.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.