Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GatorsUF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
My iMac just the past two days has been giving me trouble when I try to wake it up from sleeping. Since I have owned it I would just go up and click the mouse and it would wake right up, same is true if I hit a key on the keyboard.

Since yesterday when I click the mouse I can hear the cd-drive make a noise but nothing else happens. To get the screen to come on I have to hit the button on the back.

I have seen other threads reporting similar things, but those people state they have to actually shut the computer down to get it to come back on. This is NOT the case for me. I checked bluetooth setting already and it is set to allow bluetooth devices to wake the computer. The only change I can think of is I upgraded to OSX 10.8 just a few weeks ago, but it worked fine up until yesterday.

Any ideas?

Specs:
21.5" iMac
3.06 Intel i3
8gb DDR3
ATI Radeon
OSX 10.8.3

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Since you are on 10.8.3, maybe you should try updating to 10.8.4?

Since you are having a problem waking the computer with the mouse and the keyboard, what type of mouse and keyboard are you using? If they're wireless, maybe the batteries are weak?

GatorsUF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
They are wireless, I just changed the battery in the mouse. I guess I could change the keyboard batteries, it does say they are weak.

However like I said I can hear the dvd drive wake up when I click the mouse, but the screen doesn't wake unless I hit the power button on the back of the computer.

mlfowler

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
Aha! Check default settings in Prefs-

Though the Apple Advisor did not indicate this, what worked for me to begin to wake my iMac immediately after sleeping was to un-check the following setting in Preferences, which I had re-set to "default":

Prefs->Energy Saver->UNCHECK "Wake for network access"

I think the default setting was to wake "when the network was found," (everyday English), but I do not mind waiting 10 seconds while the network establishes itself. I DO mind thinking my iMac won't wake up, and wondering where was it, and what was it doing for those 10 or 20 seconds.

Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.