Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I simply must have 4G VRAM on my next card. I'm ready to buy next week.

Does the GTX6804G version require extra power? I've got the 2009 MP and it's almost maxed out (drives/PCI).

I'd be replacing an existing.

Also: Since the 2Gig version now is fully supported in 10.8.4...can we say the same of the 4G version?

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
339 views of this question...and no one with an answer.

Can anyone help...it appears there are a lot of people interested in the answer. :D

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
card works fine

Nvidia has done lovely job with drivers.

We offer an EFI version that gives PCIE 2 speeds in OSX and WIndows or you can use any PC version for partial function.

Some come with just 2 @ 6 pin, some have 6 & 8 and the 8 pin will work with just a 6 plugged in, meaning card is designed to throttle down for reduced power

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you NEED to get a 4GB model GTX 680, then I suggest you act fast. The 2 x 6-pin's are getting quite hard to find these days. If you need the EFI version, go with MacVidCards - TONS of great feedback and quality work/support.

For off the shelf 4GB PC versions, the PNY VCGGTX6804XPB was one of the few that was still available at retailers a week ago. The Zotac ZT-60103-10P is the only other 2 x 6-pin model that had availability in the past month that I'm aware of. Supplies of both are drying up with the 7xx series now available.

I recall reading that the EVGA FTW (or FTW+) 680 cards can be used with 2 x 6-pin power, even though they are 6-pin/8-pin configured. I do not have any personal experience with them, but someone wrote about it a few weeks ago.

If adding a power supply, then the options open up a bit more.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I just bought one from MacVid. I've wanted to support his efforts...and I wanted a fully appointed no-fuss option.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
It's been awhile since I've had my 2009 macpro open.

Does that machine have two easily accessible 6volt cable connections...or will I have to run something down from the optical bay?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you're replacing an existing, then I'd suggest running the power adapters that are on the motherboard - should be two of them, small "rectangles" with 6-pins each.

Cable that connects to them looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UR1654

Large side 6-pin's go to the graphics card, the smaller 6-pins go to the motherboard.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
If you're replacing an existing, then I'd suggest running the power adapters that are on the motherboard - should be two of them, small "rectangles" with 6-pins each.

Cable that connects to them looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UR1654

Large side 6-pin's go to the graphics card, the smaller 6-pins go to the motherboard.

Thanks for the info bsbeamer. The card might arrive tomorrow and I'll open the baby up again and take a look.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
card works fine

Nvidia has done lovely job with drivers.

We offer an EFI version that gives PCIE 2 speeds in OSX and WIndows or you can use any PC version for partial function.

Some come with just 2 @ 6 pin, some have 6 & 8 and the 8 pin will work with just a 6 plugged in, meaning card is designed to throttle down for reduced power

I wish I'd paid a bit more attention to this last paragraph. The card you sent me has one 6 pin and one 8 pin. So will I see throttled down performance along with the throttled down power?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have tried it with external power connected to power and internal, same exact benchies.

I do no mods to power circuit, it was designed to run either way.

My understanding is that the 8 pin would allow gamers to further overclock it.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I have tried it with external power connected to power and internal, same exact benchies.

I do no mods to power circuit, it was designed to run either way.

My understanding is that the 8 pin would allow gamers to further overclock it.

So far I'm very satisfied. You done good. I needed the 4GB...and I didn't want to fuss with kext editing, power modding, etc.

I wanted power w/out the fuss... And that's what I got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.