Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
im in the same boat as many of you. I had cash in hand waiting for the Haswell update to the 15" rMBP after a friend stepped on the screen of my workhorse of a Mac, my trusty and reliable Macbook Core2Duo from 2009. So I've really been wanting to have, and now in fact NEED a new computer... so this is a very fristrating wait for someone who only gets one computer every 3 years. So my solution is to "rent" computers from the Apple Store until the new rMBPs are released. Taking advantage of their 14-day return policy on all models, it will give me the oppertunity to also try out different specs until I find the perfect balance of size vs power.

what do you guys think of this plan? Can you also buy apple refurbs from the apple store online and then return them in a physical store in the same 14-day return window? there's nothing that says you can't.

Maybe this isn't the most convenient option, but I need a new computer now, and don't feel like buying a one year old computer when a new model will be out in the undetermined near-future.

so first up in my first week of Apple Store rentals is the brand new Macbook Air 13". I needed one asap so opted for in-store pickup and was limited to the 13" with 4GB of ram and 256GB ssd. Initial reports I have is that the computer is very fast, very cool, and the battery life is just crazy. I used it for four hours on full brightness and it went down 8%. The build is great, the keyboard feels nice, but the screen is a big letdown in comparison to my iPad 4.

Got the new Airport Extreme AC router to play with as well and so far haven't been able to get it to connect anywhere close to the theoretical max, but have to do some more tests. its an awesome router and I love that it finally has a fan.

Gonna install Windows 8 and look at it some more.

which computer should I get after the 14 days are up? and do you all think im crazy?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Your returns create refurbs. Apple loses about 10-15% on each computer that has to be resold, even those with no problems. Foxconn is held accountable for any defects, and has to repair them at their cost; machines which were not returned for a defect of any kind are thoroughly inspected and then resold. Not your problem, right? Except guess who gets to eat those extra costs? It gets passed right along to the customer.

...in all seriousness, the return policy is for making sure you are happy with your expensive purchase, so by all means, make sure your money stays on the right machine.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I think that is a very crappy thing to do. If you need a computer, then buy one and be done with it. If not...then wait.

But this attempt to try and justify gaming the return policy because you can't or won't hold off any longer is just not cool. Do you really want to sell of your integrity for a laptop?

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Of course we don't think you're crazy.

We know you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I think that is a very crappy thing to do. If you need a computer, then buy one and be done with it. If not...then wait.

But this attempt to try and justify gaming the return policy because you can't or won't hold off any longer is just not cool. Do you really want to sell of your integrity for a laptop?

Integrity? Really? You think the op has sold away his integrity for doing something that's well with Apple's own return policy?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Get it from Best Buy. While at it, register for Rewards Zone so you get the 60 (iirc, or is it 45 ) day remorse period instead of the 14 ( new policy ). There is no re-stocking fee at BB anymore!

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Integrity? Really? You think the op has sold away his integrity for doing something that's well with Apple's own return policy?

wow, I really wasn't expecting such a harsh response. I did in all honesty want to try out the new air, and now having purchased it I can see if its for me. Its a great computer.... leagues above what I had before... but I can't get over the lack of a retina display. yes, I knew that going in... but there still could've been a chance that its size and performance could've made up for the lack of the screen. but it turns out it bothers me too much. in all reality i'll likely return this computer in a week and end up just waiting patiently for the eventual release of the new computer. But I guess my real question is would I also be able to return a refurb computer like the previous gen retina macbook pro within the same 14-day period at an actual apple retail store as well? I'd be astonished if the update takes longer then a month... but I also know there's a chance that it could. I'm definitely keeping the new router regardless. You also keep talking about a restocking fee. I thought Apple Stores no longer had a restocking fee. its certainly not mentioned anywhere. and also, I am making an extremly expensive purchase and I SHOULD be happy with it! I certainly plan on telling lots of friends that other then the screen, its a great computer at a fairly impressive price... probably creating tons of additional sales for Apple. I guess what I'm saying is I really don't see how this hurts Apple or makes me disohnest in any way. its not like I'm using an education discount when Im not in schoool like some other people on here.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out how your friend stepped on your Macbook's screen...I usually don't put my computers on the ground in walking areas, but that could just be me...

I'm sure there's nothing from a technicality point of view to stop you from doing what you propose, but rather than take advantage of the system in ways it wasn't meant to be used, why not ask your friend for some compensation to make up for the loss you had to eat? That's what I would be focused on...

If you're really unhappy without having Haswell and a retina screen on your laptop, you can always just resell what you have later on when the retina models do get refreshed. You'll probably take a slight loss, but that's pretty much equivalent to "renting".

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I'm still trying to figure out how your friend stepped on your Macbook's screen...I usually don't put my computers on the ground in walking areas, but that could just be me...

I'm sure there's nothing from a technicality point of view to stop you from doing what you propose, but rather than take advantage of the system in ways it wasn't meant to be used, why not ask your friend for some compensation to make up for the loss you had to eat? That's what I would be focused on...

If you're really unhappy without having Haswell and a retina screen on your laptop, you can always just resell what you have later on when the retina models do get refreshed. You'll probably take a slight loss, but that's pretty much equivalent to "renting".

the other thing thats bugging me is simply the configuration of my laptops alone is a huge time investment. Its like at least a day to get everything working the way I like, only to have to zero out the computer and start over again with a new one. But this Best Buy idea intrigues me. its really a 60-day return policy with no restocking fee?! thats amazing! I'd say 60 days definitely sounds like enough time to pass for waiting for the update to come out. thanks so much for that information! After I return the air in a week I'll go to best buy and get a 13" retina macbook pro and then when the updates release get the 15". truly great idea.

----------

you've never put your laptop closed on the floor? the old non-unibody plastic macbooks are quite "squishy" in body and can't support the weight of someone stepping on them. despite literally peaking liquid crystal the screen astonishingly still works!!

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
you've never put your laptop closed on the floor? the old non-unibody plastic macbooks are quite "squishy" in body and can't support the weight of someone stepping on them. despite literally peaking liquid crystal the screen astonishingly still works!!

No, not even phone, or ipad...i would never put any electronic devices on the floor....thats just.....stupid.....
you risk your laptop being stepped, liquid drips, objects falling from desk into laptop...etc etc
consider it a lesson and always put the laptop on your desk or somewhere safe.

anyway, about the return period. sure you can do this many times, God knows what will happen if you do it the X-th time...
blocked card from purchasing, cancelled Apple IDs...etc....well i just imagining....
i don't think that anybody can get away with this.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The store manager has the discretion to both deny you a sale and deny you a return. Apple keeps track of every transaction you make.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Why don't you spend 8 hours daily playing around with laptops at your local apple store? Or send your resume to work in your local store? You would have access and test all possible configurations... :D

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
This thread made me register so I could make a comment.

For year, and I do mean years, I've gone through mouses like crazy. Specifically the Logitech G500. Great mouse, but I guess I'm rough on them; anyway, I have not bought a new mouse in years. I just "rent" one from Bestbuy, wait a couple days, and return the one i broke. I make sure to tell the customer service clerk it is defective so that another customer doesn't get my broken one, and it gets sent back to Logitech. I've used this type of buying practice for other things too. Like tomorrow I have to "rent" an air mattress for a friend who will be visiting from out of town for a couple weeks from Target.

As long as you know the return policy, and are within the correct period of time, I'd say go for it. But I'd also suggest using Bestbuy as your "rental" store. They give you 15 days, and if you spend like $2500 in a one year period of time, you get silver membership which gives you 60 days to return products.

And don't listen to these people who are mean about this type of practice. You do intend to buy a computer, you just want to see all you options. Who knows, you may end up liking an air model so much you keep it and not get a Reting Macbook Pro.

So, for Bestbuy just to sum up:

15 day return policy, 60 day if you have their Silver Reward Program.
No restocking fee.
If you do more then say 2 returns in a 2 month span, have a friend, spouse, etc... come with you on your next return. They do ask for ID on the return. I'm not sure if it is monitoring or what. But the less your ID is showing up for a return, the better.

Last edited:

LogiTek

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
This thread made me register so I could make a comment.

For year, and I do mean years, I've gone through mouses like crazy. Specifically the Logitech G500. Great mouse, but I guess I'm rough on them; anyway, I have not bought a new mouse in years. I just "rent" one from Bestbuy, wait a couple days, and return the one i broke. I make sure to tell the customer service clerk it is defective so that another customer doesn't get my broken one, and it gets sent back to Logitech. I've used this type of buying practice for other things too. Like tomorrow I have to "rent" an air mattress for a friend who will be visiting from out of town for a couple weeks from Target.

As long as you know the return policy, and are within the correct period of time, I'd say go for it. But I'd also suggest using Bestbuy as your "rental" store. They give you 30 days, and if you spend like $2500 in a one year period of time, you get silver membership which gives you 60 days to return products.

And don't listen to these people who are mean about this type of practice. You do intend to buy a computer, you just want to see all you options. Who knows, you may end up liking an air model so much you keep it and not get a Reting Macbook Pro.

So, for Bestbuy just to sum up:

30 day return policy, 60 day if you have their Silver Reward Program.
No restocking fee.
If you do more then say 2 returns in a 2 month span, have a friend, spouse, etc... come with you on your next return. They do ask for ID on the return. I'm not sure if it is monitoring or what. But the less your ID is showing up for a return, the better.

Best Buys standard return policy is only 15-days:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Returns...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM

You're right, that is very new. I have silver so i didn't know it changed. Looks like it did in March of this year. I still think Bestbuy would be his best bet. Unless he is in a big area, he wouldn't have multiple Apple stores to return at. Even with 15 days at Bestbuy, you can buy at one return and buy at another and so on. It is harder to string Apple along like that imo.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
Test driving every Mac would be awesome, but how is this even going to work? They would have to be insane to let you keep buying and returning computers every two weeks, like clockwork, for what could be 4-6 months. They'll catch on and deny your return and then you're stuck with a laptop you never actually wanted.

A 2008 C2D MacBook sold for $130 on eBay today. Win a cheap replacement for your broken MacBook, use it for a few months, and don't risk your money!

Last edited:

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
You are taking a risk doing this. Keep in mind that most electronics retailer's return policy states that the item must be in NEW condition. This means that if you get a nick, dent, scratch, spill, etc - You could be stuck with it. Applecare or Best Buy's plan may cover damage, but they still repair your item, they dont swap it out.

Seeing as you are in need of this computer because someone manager to physically damage your old laptop I would think twice about 'renting' one. Maybe just get a video adaptor and plug in an external monitor until you get your new Mac?

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Return policies are meant for people who are genuinely unhappy with the purchase or it did not meet their intended need. Not for some of you slime buckets here that think it is your "right" to abuse a policy meant for honest people. Crap like this and people wonder why prices increase? This is why return policies are shortened or turned into a exchange only policy. Some folks think their actions have no impact. They are wrong.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Yes. If you go in there, buy a laptop with no intention of keeping it, and then return it only to buy another and repeat this process all over again with no intention of keeping any of the computers you purchase in an attempt to game the return policy while you wait for the computer you really want.....then yes, I do think you've compromised your integrity. Especially when you factor in that they now can't sell the computer as new anymore, you're pulling money off their bottom line to do it.

Now this is all working under the assumption that the person doing all of this is doing it with no intention of actually keeping the computer. If the guy wants to try it out and has legit interest in actually keeping it, then that is fine. That's keeping with the spirit of the return policy. But "renting" laptops while you wait for the next latest and greatest is just wrong.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I certainly plan on telling lots of friends that other then the screen, its a great computer at a fairly impressive price... probably creating tons of additional sales for Apple.

I'm sure you telling all your friends will generate "tons" of additional sales.

/sarcasm

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
You're right, that is very new. I have silver so i didn't know it changed. Looks like it did in March of this year. I still think Bestbuy would be his best bet. Unless he is in a big area, he wouldn't have multiple Apple stores to return at. Even with 15 days at Bestbuy, you can buy at one return and buy at another and so on. It is harder to string Apple along like that imo.

That link still says 60 days for silver premier reward members...

Augustine864

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2013
I just think you'll get tired of the hassle and and end up falling in love with one and keeping it anyway. Two weeks? What a pain in the butt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.