Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Had an iphone since the 3g, never ever have i pocket dialed a number or sent a random text message.

But since beta 1, i've made atleast a dozen pocket dials, sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket, and sent a few garbled sms'es. I have no idea whats going. I swear sometimes my phone isn't even in my pocket its on the table I pick it up and i see i made 4 calls and cancelled them.

Nothing about my habits has changed. When i'm putting my phone into my pocket i instinctually press the power button to sleep. Somes i forget to press it. same as ever. yet these random dials and sms's have become ridiculous.

I don't know if its because the slide to unlock thing is too sensitive. Or if something else is going on with my phone. Makes me think it was the smartest decision ever to have a slide to unlock area as before rather than the whole screen being an unlock zone. i'm sure sometimes when i'm taking my phone out of pocket i unlock it accidentally too if my finger rubs against it.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, I think having the entire screen swipe-able was a bad idea, as it's very easy to trigger in your pocket. The swipe up gesture for the control center is the same way.

I also think it is set to be too sensitive right now, though. I used to have to be very specific about the slide to unlock gesture before. Now I just do a quick swipe and it works every single time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aside from pretty much the full screen now being the target area it also seems that it just requires only a swipe of about 1/3 of the screen to the right before the lockscreen can be dismissed.

This is all also discussed in some more detail at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1596017/

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
would a pass code help? until they fix it?

Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode. These days our entire lives are accessible via these devices - personal data, financial, social networks, on and on. How people go without protecting that is beyond me.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode. These days our entire lives are accessible via these devices - personal data, financial, social networks, on and on. How people go without protecting that is beyond me.

I don't want one, hey there is an excuse that works for me.

That ends up making this particular problem even worse though because then you just have a phone that is completely locked from too many failed passcode attempts while in your pocket.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I don't want one, hey there is an excuse that works for me.

That ends up making this particular problem even worse though because then you just have a phone that is completely locked from too many failed passcode attempts while in your pocket.
The wipe when 10 failures occur is optional.

----------

This is an unwise choice, kemosabe.
Some children have to learn the hard way. Can't be helped.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

It would help against pocket dialling, but it would also mean a risk of locking the phone due to the wrong pass code being entered.

----------

The wipe when 10 failures occur is optional.

Yes, but the phone being rendered unusable for an ever increasing amount of time isn't.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode.

I feel that the 5-minute delay on a passcode provides adequate safety and is a huge time saver during those times when I'm pulling my phone out repeatedly every few minutes.

Point is, I think my phone is safe and yet this pocket-dialing issue would still hit me.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

That's your personal opinion...Every app that I consider important already have built-in passcodes.

Am I worried someone will steal my iPhone and temporarily read my mundane text conversations, see my 'artsy' food pics, and post something on my Facebook (God knows I don't)? Nope.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
That's your personal opinion...Every app that I consider important already have built-in passcodes.

Am I worried someone will steal my iPhone and temporarily read my mundane text conversations, see my 'artsy' food pics, and post something on my Facebook (God knows I don't)? Nope.

Most people's lives could be ruined in a matter of minutes with malicious texts, e-mails, phone calls, Facebook status updates, tweets, Instagrams, YouTube videos, and much more that aren't protected by any kind of app-level passcode or security.

Also, all 2-step verification systems currently use SMS or apps on your phone as the method of validating who you are. That means that someone could easily gain access to additional data if they really wanted to.

Lastly, every time I see a post on the forums about a stolen iPhone or iPad where the thief put the phone in Airplane mode before it cold be tracked via Find My iPhone get no sympathy from me. With a passcode, the only option they have is to turn it off.

Bottom line, you're playing with fire if you think there's no need for a passcode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think we have established that at this point of the passcode is not really the underlying solution. Even with the passcode there still an issue with pocket dialing trying to enter the passcode too many times and locking out you from your phone (not erasing data but just locking out because after number of attempts you have to wait for longer longer period of time to enter the passcode again) so that's not really a solution to this problem.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I think we have established that at this point of the passcode is not really the underlying solution. Even with the passcode there still an issue with pocket dialing trying to enter the passcode too many times and locking out you from your phone (not erasing data but just locking out because after number of attempts you have to wait for longer longer period of time to enter the passcode again) so that's not really a solution to this problem.

Fair enough. My ranting on passcodes was somewhat tangential, albeit important IMO.

Regarding the pocket dial issue, it seems bizarre to me that the home button or sleep/wake is pressed, a full slide is performed, and multiple inputs are received in your pocket. I feel like my phone doesn't move around that much in my pocket.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fair enough. My ranting on passcodes was somewhat tangential, albeit important IMO.

Regarding the pocket dial issue, it seems bizarre to me that the home button or sleep/wake is pressed, a full slide is performed, and multiple inputs are received in your pocket. I feel like my phone doesn't move around that much in my pocket.
Well one of the big differences that you no longer really need a full slide you just need to slide about a third of the screen over. And now pretty much the whole screen is a target for slide to unlock instead of a smallish area size of a button toward the bottom of the screen as it used to be in the previous versions. That can make quite a difference for some.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I don't have a passcode, because I don't want to have to type in those 4 digits dozens of times a day. It makes no sense.

I live in a safe area. I trust everyone around me, and I live in the suburbs where I know everyone, not an inner city where I walk by strangers all the time. I use it at home, at work, and in my car. Rarely anywhere else, and I don't use it while walking down the street.

It all depends on your use case. I think there is zero excuse TO have a passcode.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013

I leave my passcode off because I don't really have information on my phone that would ruin my life if someone was to steal it, and my second reason is if someone was to find your iphone and they are good people, they can easily go into your contacts and call someone like 'mom' or 'dad' or 'wife'.

----------

you don't have to press power button or home button to turn the screen on, whenever message comes the screen turns on by itself

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I think the issue is the Notification Center being accessible from the lock screen. That takes much less of a flick to access, then a quick tap of a text message takes you right to it and let's you call people too.

I never understood why people want to access functionality from the lock screen. Doesn't that completely defeat the lock purpose?? I personally don't want anything on my lock screen. The only things I allow are missed phone calls and reminders. Anything else can wait until I open my phone.

Anyway, try disabling NC from opening on the lock screen and see if that helps.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2012
I think the issue is the Notification Center being accessible from the lock screen. That takes much less of a flick to access, then a quick tap of a text message takes you right to it and let's you call people too.

I never understood why people want to access functionality from the lock screen. Doesn't that completely defeat the lock purpose?? I personally don't want anything on my lock screen. The only things I allow are missed phone calls and reminders. Anything else can wait until I open my phone.

Anyway, try disabling NC from opening on the lock screen and see if that helps.

How do you do this?

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008

i actually already have a passcode. have had for a while. set to relock my phone again after 5 minutes. so basically what happens is if i do have the lock on, is that either i'm in the emergency call screen a lot trying to dial a number. Or Its accidentally input an incorrect passcode enough times that when i take it out it says phone locked too many attemps wait x minutes.

if they keep this slide feature the way it is in current form, basically wipe after 10 attempts becomes useless. I can just imagine the number of pocket erases. also having a passcode becomes necessary but a pain at the same time. without a passcode we'll all be dialing in our pockets constantly. having a code though with immediate relock would mean i'd be inputting my lock code every 10 seconds.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
i actually already have a passcode. have had for a while. set to relock my phone again after 5 minutes. so basically what happens is if i do have the lock on, is that either i'm in the emergency call screen a lot trying to dial a number. Or Its accidentally input an incorrect passcode enough times that when i take it out it says phone locked too many attemps wait x minutes.

if they keep this slide feature the way it is in current form, basically wipe after 10 attempts becomes useless. I can just imagine the number of pocket erases. also having a passcode becomes necessary but a pain at the same time. without a passcode we'll all be dialing in our pockets constantly. having a code though with immediate relock would mean i'd be inputting my lock code every 10 seconds.

Since when does the phone randomly wake up without hitting the lock or home button first? I don't understand? You can't unlock the thing by swiping when the screen is off.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
to answer another frequent comment in this thread...i carry my phone in my pocket without anything in that pocket. no keys. no change.

Maybe its something specific to me but sometimes i'll have my hands in my suit pockets. one of them has my phone in it. i've never ever encountered a pocket dial uptil ios 7.

The point is that my habits haven't changed. I bet those others complaining about this being issue are in the same boat. their habits haven't changed. yet they are seeing this horrible phone behaviour.

As for passcode lock, i agree its important but again because it IS an option in ios to leave it on or off, phones features should normally and fully work whether they have a code lock or not depending on preference.

----------

Since when does the phone randomly wake up without hitting the lock or home button first? I don't understand? You can't unlock the thing by swiping when the screen is off.

so two aspects to this. first of all when you get a email, sms, etc the phone turns on, thus allowing the swipe feature to work. now take phones, sms, facebook notifcations, whatsapp, viber, news apps, alarms, reminders, and the lots and lots of other push apps we all have on our phone and theres ample opportunity when the phone screen is on in our pockets.

Secondly, like I said, I'm also trying to sort out WHY exactly this is happened in ios 7 and never before. you're right to be skeptical because its obviously not happening to you. but the point is it IS happening to some of us. and the direct culprit is the change in phone unlock behavior. I initially actually thought there was some bug in beta 1 that was doing random things in my phone. but when i noticed that my phone was locking me out for x minutes, or i was trying to dial a number on the emergency screen i realized its to do with the slide feature.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
so two aspects to this. first of all when you get a email, sms, etc the phone turns on, thus allowing the swipe feature to work. now take phones, sms, facebook notifcations, whatsapp, viber, news apps, alarms, reminders, and the lots and lots of other push apps we all have on our phone and theres ample opportunity when the phone screen is on in our pockets.

Secondly, like I said, I'm also trying to sort out WHY exactly this is happened in ios 7 and never before. you're right to be skeptical because its obviously not happening to you. but the point is it IS happening to some of us. and the direct culprit is the change in phone unlock behavior. I initially actually thought there was some bug in beta 1 that was doing random things in my phone. but when i noticed that my phone was locking me out for x minutes, or i was trying to dial a number on the emergency screen i realized its to do with the slide feature.

I didn't think about the screen turning on when you get an incoming notification, but now that you mention it, I can definitely see how it would happen then.

I don't see how it could happen if you didn't get a notification though... it has to either be a bug in the beta or you're accidentally bumping one of the buttons and not realizing it.

Definitely a weird issue though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.