Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
What is the new system service under setting - privacy - location services - system services Wi-Fi Networking. What is Wi-Fi Networking? I know turning all the other system services off have no effect on anything so I turn those all off but this one I have no idea what it does

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Probably uses GPS to locate known wiress networks. Sounds like a huge resource and battery hog to me. I shut it off immediately. It had no effect on searching for or joining wifi networks.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Probably uses GPS to locate known wiress networks. Sounds like a huge resource and battery hog to me. I shut it off immediately. It had no effect on searching for or joining wifi networks.

I have everything off under the system services, lol. Nothing benefits me, I will turn traffic on if I travel somewhere thats about it. Although frequent locations seems like something I will use, but not right now in the early stages of testing

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I have everything off under the system services, lol. Nothing benefits me, I will turn traffic on if I travel somewhere thats about it. Although frequent locations seems like something I will use, but not right now in the early stages of testing

Frequent locations looks like the worst battery drainer of all the location services. Can't imaging why anyone would even think of using it.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Frequent locations looks like the worst battery drainer of all the location services. Can't imaging why anyone would even think of using it.

I know that's why I said I'm not currently using it. I'm sure by final release it will be improved to use much less battery than what a beta uses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.