Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
They told me they got my resume via the WWDC student competition I entered. They told me congratulations on winning (I didn't, as far as I know) and that they want to meet up with me at WWDC tomorrow (I'm not there - I couldn't be further away without leaving the country.)

The email appears to be completely legitimate and from someone at Apple. I did enter that contest, but I received an email saying I hadn't won.

I've responded by explaining that. Now I'm awaiting a response. Also feeling quite trembly. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more than I've wanted to work inside Apple, and for the first time it's seeming like there's some chance for it to happen.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
They told me they got my resume via the WWDC student competition I entered. They told me congratulations on winning (I didn't, as far as I know) and that they want to meet up with me at WWDC tomorrow (I'm not there - I couldn't be further away without leaving the country.)

The email appears to be completely legitimate and from someone at Apple. I did enter that contest, but I received an email saying I hadn't won.

I've responded by explaining that. Now I'm awaiting a response. Also feeling quite trembly. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more than I've wanted to work inside Apple, and for the first time it's seeming like there's some chance for it to happen.

Well I am hoping you get through and it's all legit!

Good luck!! :cool:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Well I am hoping you get through and it's all legit!

Good luck!! :cool:

I heard back. They said they're sorry that a miscommunication occurred and that they were thoroughly impressed by Battery Status and that I should have received a pass to WWDC. They don't sound like they'll be making that up to me in any way, but that's okay, I guess... I probably am missing out on untold amounts of revenue from the exposure of having my app featured by Apple, but my dream isn't to be rich, it's to have a job I love (which I may or may not find at Apple. But I suspect I will.)

They want to have a 30 minute phone interview. I need to nail this. I don't even know what to do right now to prepare myself.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
They want to have a 30 minute phone interview. I need to nail this. I don't even know what to do right now to prepare myself.

Just be yourself and explain why you develop for Apple. :cool:

They (Apple) strike me as the type of company who look for talented, passionate developers who love what they do. I think you fit the bill.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I heard back. They said they're sorry that a miscommunication occurred and that they were thoroughly impressed by Battery Status and that I should have received a pass to WWDC. They don't sound like they'll be making that up to me in any way, but that's okay, I guess... I probably am missing out on untold amounts of revenue from the exposure of having my app featured by Apple, but my dream isn't to be rich, it's to have a job I love (which I may or may not find at Apple. But I suspect I will.)

If the are real Apple people: "Ordinary people do extraordinary things at Apple every day", "What will YOU do?"
I think you really need to get it together fast, and home in on what your value is to them, and sell it.

Congrats on this much regardless :)

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia

I hope it's legit. Be really aware of fraud however. There are lots of scam artists out there. Figure out a way to confirm that it's really Apple before you provide any personal information, and under no circumstances would a company like Apple ask for money "to process your application" or anything like that.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Apple always has a lot of openings. You can find them on their web site. Most require working in Cupertino.

Good luck Art.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Have you done anything to confirm the contact is legit?

The HR and HID person (the Human Interface Designer approached me first and mentioned wanting to chat, then the Human Resources person arranged the phone interview) both appear to have emails ending with @apple.com

I'm not very strong at web technologies but I think I've heard that those email addresses can be spoofed. How would I verify their legitimacy?

The HR person's signature looks pretty legit, but the HID person has no signature at all in tr emails.

I could probably look them up on LinkedIn, but that could just be part of a hoax...

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
The HR and HID person (the Human Interface Designer approached me first and mentioned wanting to chat, then the Human Resources person arranged the phone interview) both appear to have emails ending with @apple.com

I'm not very strong at web technologies but I think I've heard that those email addresses can be spoofed. How would I verify their legitimacy?

The HR person's signature looks pretty legit, but the HID person has no signature at all in tr emails.

I could probably look them up on LinkedIn, but that could just be part of a hoax...

If they haven't asked for money or mentioned banking details - I would say it's a safe bet that they're legit.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I would say that if you have sent them e-mails to apple.com (don't reply, actually type in their supposed address) and received replies that you're probably dealing with Apple. You could always dig into the e-mail headers if you are still concerned.

B

lastcall

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
Dumb question, but what job position are you interviewing for? Or is this some kind of pre-screening interview so you can get yet another interview for a real job?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Dumb question, but what job position are you interviewing for? Or is this some kind of pre-screening interview so you can get yet another interview for a real job?

The person who contacted me said they run the Human Interface Devices team, but I don't know anything beyond that. I'd simply included my resume as part of a WWDC student competition submission, which is how he got it - I've applied to a few positions for their iWork team and other Apple software teams over the past few years but I've never heard back from them before now.

That's an excellent question and I'm going to write to them to find out right now... it'll help immensely with preparing for the interview, I think, if I actually know what kinds of tasks I'll be assigned should I get the job.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Have they provided you with any information that you provided them with in the first place?
To verify it's them, rather than just knowing you have an App?

----------

Did you look at the email headers?

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Can you not just phone them up and ask for them by name? That's usually the most effective non-repudiation method.

Also, well done!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If they haven't asked for money or mentioned banking details - I would say it's a safe bet that they're legit.

^That.

If u get to Cupertino, it's $1,800/month for a tiny apartment but the weather is great and biking is superb. :) Expect lots of overtime (but you are not paid by the hour).

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I would say that if you have sent them e-mails to apple.com (don't reply, actually type in their supposed address) and received replies that you're probably dealing with Apple. You could always dig into the e-mail headers if you are still concerned.

B

This. I got picked out by an Apple headhunter over LinkedIn. I didn't log into LinkedIn, I just took that Linked in email, pressed reply, erased the LinkedIn reply line, and manually typed in apple.com email address from the woman's signature line, and turned out legit.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
This. I got picked out by an Apple headhunter over LinkedIn. I didn't log into LinkedIn, I just took that Linked in email, pressed reply, erased the LinkedIn reply line, and manually typed in apple.com email address from the woman's signature line, and turned out legit.

You didn't setup the OP right? Or did you?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Think very well for the phone interview, what do you like doing, why would you want to work for Apple? Be honest about it, don't show any doubts...
Do not discuss money...unless they bring it up...answer something like...I am pretty sure that you are very generous and compensate your employees very well, we can discuss it later, after we understand all the details.

They want to "filter" in the phone interview.
Show excitement, but keep it cool, the Apple way, watch the keynotes, be you not a phony.

They want to understand how you think and solve problems:
Be ready to answer questions like:
What is the biggest challenge that you had faced? And how you overcame it?
What can you say about yourself...who is you?
Why will Apple hire you?
Tell me about situations when something webt wrong and how you fix it?

Depending on the time of phone interview, it might be just the HR person asking you generic questions to see if you are worthy or not to spend some time with the team that will be working with the position(s) that they want to fill in.
If you pass the 1st phone interview, then... They might get you to a second one with the actual team.
Then if that works out well they might call you for a single day face to face at the Mothership, and it will be a back to back interview, one after the next with people that might work with the position in question, it is not a one person decision, it is many people's decision if you are a good match or not.
Ask for the job description, like yesterday, and understand it very well.
Also be ready to ask clever questions, they will ask you to ask questions.
A good one to use is: why do you work for Apple? How is working here?
What is the biggest challenge for this position?
With what we have discussed so far how do you see me in comparison with all other candidates? Is there something else I should know about this position? Good luck, be excited and cool at the same time!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.