Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hi, I have installed Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 1 yesterday.
I was wondering if I am the only one who has a wifi disconnection problem.
The wifi disconnects constatnly, especially on Safari, anyone had a similar problem?

One more question, I got the Setup Assistant and a Optimization message straight after the installation of Mavericks, and it won't go off. What should I do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 11.53.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 11.53.16 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,292

richard6r

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
I'm not sure about any wifi problems, mine works okay. Nothing out of the unusual for me but I also got that optimization notification after installing. I think it's Mavericks way of saying spotlight indexer is running because it's what I saw when I clicked on index. You can close the card though.

DarkRyoushii

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I have found viscosity (VPN client) will disconnect my WiFi as soon as I get an IP address on the VPN but they've probably just changed the way wifi is done and so viscosity will just need an update.

EDIT: They released a beta build that's fully compatible via their SparkLabs twitter!

Last edited:

Pploco

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
yes, I have

My wireless network is using PEAP of 802.1x (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol) to authenticated the user.

In Lion, my wifi works well.

In Mountain Lion, my wifi can connect it in a while, then it's broken. I have to take the wifi off at least 10 minutes, then take it on, if I am good enough lucky the wifi can be connected.

I use the Wireless diagnostics to find the three functions (wifi, setting, isp are green, as i use the static IP AND DNS) are normal, the others tow functions(internet, and i forgot its name are red) are innormal.

If I don't use the static, it always be signed the ip beginning with 169.***.

And in Mavericks,I can find out the signal but I can join the network, this feedback told me, "see your administrator for further assistance".
All the problem are on the same environment.

By the way in TTLS of 802.1x,there is no problem at all.

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Nope, haven't lost wifi connection once.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Like I said in another post. It wouldn't be another version of OSX without some kind of wi-fi issue.

Since 10.7 I've had a toggle switch on my router to reset it. Seems to fix the macs in the house but strangely enough, iPhones and Windows devices never have this issue.

vladpro

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
wifi

I am too having horrible wifi problems with mavericks. it constantly connects and disconnects, it is frustrating me like crazy. Any solutions?:mad::mad:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I have the oddest thing going on with wifi here since the upgrade. A MBP has the wifi icon in the menu bar with an exclamation mark through it constantly and refuses to connect when you click on the icon. However, when you open a web page or do anything that requires connectivity, it works! The error symbol is still in the menu bar.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Haven't had a wifi disconnect at all.

I have Mavericks installed on a 2012 MBA, 2012 rMBP, 2010 MBP, 2011 iMac and 09 iMac. They all stay on 24/7, well other than when the lids are closed on the laptops.

I have had other random bugs during betas but never WiFi since SL.

I also always do formats and fresh installs, no installs from Time Machine backups either.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Haven't had a wifi disconnect at all.

I have Mavericks installed on a 2012 MBA, 2012 rMBP, 2010 MBP, 2011 iMac and 09 iMac. They all stay on 24/7, well other than when the lids are closed on the laptops.

I have had other random bugs during betas but never WiFi since SL.

I also always do formats and fresh installs, no installs from Time Machine backups either.

But then how do you recover all your documents/important files?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

I format quite often. If a new version of OS X hits and I upgrade and find a bug I will fresh install and look for the bug again. So I'm usually reinstalling after every 10.9.X release.
It really helps finding out if a bug is due to an app, an upgrade, something wrong previously in a system, etc or if it's actually a new bug.

I have a Mac Mini with multiple externals connected.

So I have a Thunderbolt drive connected to Mini
- Folder on external named after my iMac
- Folder within that folder named Documents where I store my Documents
- Folder named pics where I store pictures
- and so on for other folders, iTunes, etc.

I don't really keep any important files on my computer at all, even if I create something on my iMac I have it save to the external location. All of my iWork files auto save to iCloud as well as TextEdit files.

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I format quite often. If a new version of OS X hits and I upgrade and find a bug I will fresh install and look for the bug again. So I'm usually reinstalling after every 10.9.X release.

I have a Mac Mini with multiple externals connected.

So I have a Thunderbolt drive connected to Mini
- Folder on external named after my iMac
- Folder within that folder named Documents where I store my Documents
- Folder named pics where I store pictures
- and so on for other folders, iTunes, etc.

I don't really keep any important files on my computer at all, even if I create something on my iMac I have it save to the external location. All of my iWork files auto save to iCloud as well as TextEdit files.

That is a very smart move! Do you recommend any cheap external HDD/SSD?
I'm a student so I cannot invest in a very expensive hard drive. :p

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA

I format a lot to tinker with OS'es. My method is to edit fstab to mount a separate partition as /Users. That way, after a fresh install I just log into the hidden root account, edit fstab, make a new user account with the same name as I had on my previous installation, and reboot. Takes less than 5 minutes and I pick up right where I left off, even saved passwords and settings.

Aside from that, I haven't had any wifi problems at all. 2009 13" MBP with a 5th gen Airport Extreme using the 5Ghz network with WPA2.

Last edited:

jveraskit3

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
i HAVE the same problem in the internet, i have a macbook pro retina and connect and disconnect several times, just using mavericks, weird, but true!, greetings from chile!

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
i HAVE the same problem in the internet, i have a macbook pro retina and connect and disconnect several times, just using mavericks, weird, but true!, greetings from chile!

greetings, I am (kinda) glad that I am not the only one who has this problem, because it would be a known issue if many people has it.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
There are some known issues with driver in certain type of wireless networks. Should be fixed in next version or after that. I know its annoying but thats why its developer preview.

EDIT: Co-worker said that she disabled 5GHz from her home network and it stopped random disconnects.

greetings, I am (kinda) glad that I am not the only one who has this problem, because it would be a known issue if many people has it.

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
There are some known issues with driver in certain type of wireless networks. Should be fixed in next version or after that. I know its annoying but thats why its developer preview.

EDIT: Co-worker said that she disabled 5GHz from her home network and it stopped random disconnects.

But there was no known issues for Wi-Fi for previous versions of Mac OS X Developers Previews, so I don't know what happened there.
Do you know when the next version of DP will come out? When did it usually come out for previous versions?

vladpro

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
this wifi is annoying

i can't watch netflix in bed anymore cause of all the disconnected >__<

jdfwarrior

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Add me to the list. I tested Mavericks on my 11" Air for a while before I put it on my main laptop (13" Air). Everything ran fine on the 2010 11" Air, all apps ran fine, etc. I put it on my 2012 13" Air and it was slow, kept locking up, etc. I thought maybe it was because I upgraded so I wiped the drive and did a clean install. It's not locking up and runs great but, the wireless issue still exists. It won't stay connected more than a minute most of the time.

I hope someone can find a way to fix this.

EDIT: Actually, just for grins.. can someone else try going to Energy Saver prefs and setting it to never go to sleep and never sleep the display and see if that fixes anything. I did that and its been several minutes and it hasn't dropped out yet. May be a fluke but, would be great if someone else would try it as well

Update 2: As crazy as it seems for that to have been the solution, its been connected for over 2 hours now. Previous to that, it was only staying on for about a minute or less. This seems to be at least a temporary solution until Apple fixes it.

Last edited:

bafknight

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013

I got this problem too, I have a mid 2012 macbookpro.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i had the same issue on my retina mbp. it would work for a few minutes and than stop all of the sudden unless i disabled and re-enabled wifi which was rather annoying so i reverted back to ML for now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.