Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdd13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
This is my first time doing so, I am in dire need of an upgrade from my 160 gb to a 320 gb hdd. My question is, I already backed up my computer using time machine, now what? I have a PC friend who is going to help with the physical installation of the new hdd, but I have no clue what to do after that. A friend told me I would have to reinstall my OS disk, but how do I get my files from time machine back onto the computer? Unfortunately my files are pretty disorganized. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is my first time doing so, I am in dire need of an upgrade from my 160 gb to a 320 gb hdd. My question is, I already backed up my computer using time machine, now what? I have a PC friend who is going to help with the physical installation of the new hdd, but I have no clue what to do after that. A friend told me I would have to reinstall my OS disk, but how do I get my files from time machine back onto the computer? Unfortunately my files are pretty disorganized. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Once your get the new drive installed just plug in the TM backup drive then option key boot to it. A recovery screen will pop up. From that screen use Disk Utility to format the new drive as Mac OS Extended, then quit Disk Util. Now click restore and the entire OS and your account with all its data will be put on the new drive. No need to reinstall the OS.

Once the restore is done and your have restarted off the new drive, go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new drive as the boot disk. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.