Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
mattdo93
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mattdo93
OS X Mavericks stuck on clean install

Hi all,

When I updated my MBP to Mavericks, it was very slow and buggy for me. So I decided to do a clean install. But whenever I get to the part where it says "Signing into the App Store", it gets stuck on the spinning rainbow wheel. Is it because Mavericks is not officially out yet?

I do have a backup of 10.8 on my old hard drive, but how would I go about fixing this? Any help would be great.
mattdo93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

Is your back up a time machine back up or just a clone from a 3rd party utility?

If it is time machine, plug it in and start the Mac while holding option, click on the time machine drive and it should boot you into a recovery panel where it will allow you to reinstall OS X 10.8 and restore your content.
iPhone | iPad | AppleTV | OS X Server
AppleNewton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:03 PM   #3
mattdo93
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewton View Post
Is your back up a time machine back up or just a clone from a 3rd party utility?

If it is time machine, plug it in and start the Mac while holding option, click on the time machine drive and it should boot you into a recovery panel where it will allow you to reinstall OS X 10.8 and restore your content.
Hella stupid of me, but I didn't do a Time Machine backup beforehand. The clean install failed on my SSD, so now I'm using the stock drive that came with the laptop. For the SSD, it's just a matter of getting past that part in the installation, which I can't seem to do.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

When you are doing a clean install and its trying to verify your Apple ID are you on the recovery OS that has the 10.8 icon or is it 10.9?

If you have access to a working OS, I would log back into the Mac App store, download 10.8 and try from there or atleast create a bootable installer of it.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:21 PM   #5
mattdo93
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewton View Post
When you are doing a clean install and its trying to verify your Apple ID are you on the recovery OS that has the 10.8 icon or is it 10.9?

If you have access to a working OS, I would log back into the Mac App store, download 10.8 and try from there or atleast create a bootable installer of it.
It's on the 10.9 icon. The thing is though, it never asked for my Apple ID. It just verified my computer (pretty quickly).

I do have access to a working OS but as I mentioned before, it's on my old Hard Drive (which I'm using now). The failed clean install was done on my SSD. So right now, the SSD can't even install any OS.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

Internet recovery should work, or you can download 10.8 from your 10.9 Working OS, and if you have an external enclosure to put the target drive in you should be good to go.

Just be sure to erase any target drive you want to install OS X 10.8 on, that way any previous install wont be present

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)