Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I live about 500 miles from my iMac and had some family members help me install Mavericks on my external hard drive I use for beta testing software. Running Mountain Lion Team viewer worked perfectly fine, I was able to reformat the disk and start the install of 10.9. Via phone call I was able to guide my sister and mom into getting past the setup screens and to the desktop on 10.9.

But every time I try to use Team viewer to remotely login, I can't. When I use my laptop (Windows 7, and in a virtual machine of Win8) I get a window I've never seen before that gets stuck at "Initializing Display Parameters" I gave it about 30 minutes once before I gave up. When I use my iPad 2 all it says is Connecting and has a spinney white circle.

Internet works fine on the iMac but Team viewer doesn't and I am not sure why.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I live about 500 miles from my iMac and had some family members help me install Mavericks on my external hard drive I use for beta testing software. Running Mountain Lion Team viewer worked perfectly fine, I was able to reformat the disk and start the install of 10.9. Via phone call I was able to guide my sister and mom into getting past the setup screens and to the desktop on 10.9.

But every time I try to use Team viewer to remotely login, I can't. When I use my laptop (Windows 7, and in a virtual machine of Win8) I get a window I've never seen before that gets stuck at "Initializing Display Parameters" I gave it about 30 minutes once before I gave up. When I use my iPad 2 all it says is Connecting and has a spinney white circle.

I just helped a family member from my mac (I have 10.9, he has 10.7) and had no problems. But, I've never tried remote desktop to a 10.9 machine, only from.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I just helped a family member from my mac (I have 10.9, he has 10.7) and had no problems. But, I've never tried remote desktop to a 10.9 machine, only from.

Thanks and interesting, from that I can see Team Viewer on Mavericks works controlling others, but not sure if I can take over a 10.9 machine.

When I was on the phone with my mom, I tried having her connect to my Win 8 Virtual machine, she was able to control my VM from the Maverick Mac, but the switch sides button she said was grayed out and said something about her being the host is why it is grayed out.

crysys

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I don't own a Mac but your post is the only one I've been able to find that matches my problem. I get the same initializing display screen when connecting to a PC running Ubuntu 13.04 from either a Windows 7 laptop or an Android phone or tablet. So I'm guessing this is a problem in Teamviewer itself if it's happening cross platform.

Do you know if Teamviewer uses the same WINE back end to run on OSX as it uses in Linux?

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Do you know if Teamviewer uses the same WINE back end to run on OSX as it uses in Linux?

Sorry but I have no clue.

What I found that actually works is Logmein. I was able to remotely control my Maverick Mac from 500 some miles away on my Windows 8 virtual machine.

actisys

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
The only problem i met was unable to file transfer .. When open up the File Transfer there is no disk found on the opposite side.

ScreenShot2013-06-20at31306PM_zps6f7149a8.png

sreknob

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Not only 10.9 it seems.
I'm now having the "Initializing display parameters" screen when attempting to connect to a 10.8 macbook pro from windows 7. Connection terminates directly from this waiting screen after a few seconds. Log file shows:
Code:
The following activities didn't finish properly: Remote Display Parameters
G1   SCB::SendRemoveParticipant: victim=[0,0], forceEndMeeting=0
G1   Connection closed by user
S0   CStreamManager::~CStreamManager(): LimitedStreams: AccumulatedTime: 0ms, 2 limited sends triggered 0 waits, 0 limits reached
S0   CT89 CT.Run.LoopEnd
S0   CT89 CT.Disconnect
Guess will have to dig deeper...

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I'm using TeamViewer 8.0.16901 and Mav DP6 without any problems. I'm usually the client though and my developers start the meeting, generally from a Linux machine. Not sure if that's helpful or not...

petieg

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
It's come and go with me

It seems as though you can remote to Windows devices just fine, but i'm having trouble connecting to some Mac's. I'm running 10.9 -- they are running a mix of 10.6-10.8 -- and there is no rhyme or reason why i can't connect. Teamviewer themselves admit compatibility problems -- Germany HQ says "Unfortunately, this is a beta version and currently it is not compatible with TeamViewer. Once the official release comes out, our developers will be able to work on a solution. At this time we have no information on when the official release will come out." Some TV employee in Florida suggesting downloading the .gz.tar file (i'm assuming he means the Linux version), but i don't want to go down that path.

I've found w/ certain machines, that no combination works. :mad:

frason

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Updated to latest Teamviewer version and it works fine here now.
Didn't work with previous version to remote control Mavericks for me.

Eneasilvio

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Teamviewer in Mavericks connecting from PC to Mac

In Osx Mavericks go to Systemsettings, then Privacy, then General and allow programs from every source.
Eneasilvio

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Sorry but I have no clue.

What I found that actually works is Logmein. I was able to remotely control my Maverick Mac from 500 some miles away on my Windows 8 virtual machine.

It worked? I've been hearing LogMeIn didn't work in Mavericks, on either end of the connection. Their support rep told me LMI isn't Mavericks-compatible, and to expect problems.

Ahhh, the fun side of being an early adopter when a new OS rolls out.... :rolleyes:

Would love to update, but LogMeIn and OpenOffice need to function before I make the jump. Am considering TeamViewer as a backup, but threads like this one make me nervous.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
It worked? I've been hearing LogMeIn didn't work in Mavericks, on either end of the connection. Their support rep told me LMI isn't Mavericks-compatible, and to expect problems.

Ahhh, the fun side of being an early adopter when a new OS rolls out.... :rolleyes:

Would love to update, but LogMeIn and OpenOffice need to function before I make the jump. Am considering TeamViewer as a backup, but threads like this one make me nervous.

Teamviewer does not work at all for me, I've used Logmein for the past few months and it has worked perfectly fine for me. I do use the web version however on my windows pc (and iPhone app). I was able to send files near perfectly (It could not find my desktop on windows side).

AChristi

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015

I have a similar problem since I upgraded my iMac to 10.11 (El Capitan). Connecting to it from any other station is no longer possible. Worked fine under 10.9 & 10.10...

Kr, Arnd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.