Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
knightfolk
macrumors newbie

Mods - We make a sticky please? (iOS 7 Forum)

First off, I have been a daily reader of the site for more than a decade, but I very rarely post or speak out in the forums. With that being said...

I think it would be nice to have a sticky made in regards to members asking for help getting back to iOS 6, or for instructions on unbricking their phones due to installs gone wrong.

It has become clear that no amount of warnings are going to stop non Devs from installing the betas, but can we at least keep all the yahoos in one place so this sub forum can be a little less jumbled?

Having a sticky with the info would also reduce the need for repeat responses from members as well.

Just a thought.
knightfolk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

An even easier solution would be for them to either search the forums properly since its been asked a million times or try googling it. You could make a sticky that said "free $100 in this thread for whoever replies" and they would miss it. It's easier for people to make a new thread as opposed to adding onto an existing one or researching it. Its never gonna change and is just the way forums work.
dictoresno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:46 PM   #3
batting1000
macrumors 601

Yeah, we need something. Every time I refresh, there's another thread of someone who who clearly has no idea what they're doing. This subforum is meant for those who know what they're doing and just want to discuss the betas.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Yeah, we need something. Every time I refresh, there's another thread of someone who who clearly has no idea what they're doing.
Guaranteed 100% that it won't stop from someone making their own thread. The "all things ios7" is a sticky and even yesterday were new threads saying "hey guYz, did you c teh new ic0ns?"

It won't stop the threads unless its perfectly detailed walkthrough in bold letters. And then mods need to close or delete people who make their own threads on it. Everyone feels like their issue is specific and requires their own thread in order to get their own directed answer. What they don't realize was that 15 people asked the same thing today, 24 did yesterday and all of them were answered already. A little research on your own or searching existing threads goes a long way. I will only post a thread if I've exhausted all other options, which usually includes hours of scouring the Internet for my answer.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
batting1000
macrumors 601

I agree 100%.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

Unfortunately most people do not see or read the stickies that are present in any given forum prior to posting their question.

It won't be long before the types of questions being asked, that you've identified, will subside. The first beta has obviously just been released and with it brings a flurry of new threads and questions. Now that it's the weekend after WWDC, we've noticed the flood of new threads has slowed in pace considerably and so should a lot of the repetitive questions.

When we see new threads pop up with queries that have been asked before we do our best to merge them together with one another. You can help us with this by reporting the threads that you feel could be merged.

We try to be extra conservative in creating new forum stickies for reasons such as I mentioned above and to keep them clutter free as best we can.

Lastly, but not least, I moved this thread to a more appropriate forum, Site and Forum Feedback, where these types of questions are better discussed.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Unfortunately most people do not see or read the stickies that are present in any given forum prior to posting their question.
Most forums get round this by having either:

A) A highlighted 'banner alert' at the top of the forum section.

or

B) Make the person read a page and tick a box before they post in a section - then if they violate them rules, a lifetime ban. Harsh? Nope, not really if they cant be arsed to read the rules.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback