Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
mojay12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Buy now or wait

Hey everyone I need some advice

My windows (Sony Vaio Z i7 2011) notebook began failing on me in about April. I tried really hard and decided because I had a tablet I was going to do my best and be without a computer until WWDC.

It was very difficult for me to hold out, but I did in hopes of a Haswell rMBP, but as you all know that did not happen.

I did use a 13-inch: 2.6GHz rMBP for about 2 weeks, but I returned it because of some issues it was having, but during my use I did experience the pinwheel more times than expected just doing web browsing with some youtube videos and maybe iTunes. I was really suprised because although my Vaio Z pretty much crapped out on me, I never really experienced lag doing basic tasks.

Now, I am wondering should I just go with the new 2013 MBA or just go with a 13" rMBP

I do not do heavy tasks, but would like to have the ability to do occasional gaming. I just want my notebook to be somewhat future-proof.

So Should I:

A) Buy 2013 MBA
B) Buy 13" rMBP
or
C) Wait even longer (I would definitely need a notebook before school starts at the end of August)
mojay12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Dwinguel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
You never know with Apple, however an update to the rMBP before August is highly unlikely.

The integrated graphic card of the MBA is better than in the rMBP, so the MBA has the edge in terms of performance on that front. On the other end the rMBP will be able to play games at a higher resolution. But I would think that you won't be able to run these games at a high resolution because you will only have a discrete graphic card so for me the edge is with the MBA.

For portability the MBA is better as well.

In terms of performance otherwise, you won't see much difference between the 2 machines.

In terms of price, the advantage is to the MBA.

So I would say, get the MBA. You might want to upgrade to 8GB to be on the safe side over the long run (you can't upgrade afterwards as the RAM is soldered on the board).
__________________
Homepage: http://www.antoineribordy.com

My new guide, "Buying a Mac without breaking the Bank" is now available on the Apple iBookstore and the Amazon Kindle store. Don't miss out!
Dwinguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:34 AM   #3
jmpnop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
First of all, do you want the retina display?

As for the internals, both the laptops come with integrated graphics which isn't great for gaming. The 13" retina display runs on integrated graphics which is weak. MBA is cheaper and was recently upgraded which makes it a better choice.
__________________
Sent from my iPod Shuffle.
jmpnop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
mojay12
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpnop View Post
First of all, do you want the retina display?

As for the internals, both the laptops come with integrated graphics which isn't great for gaming. The 13" retina display runs on integrated graphics which is weak. MBA is cheaper and was recently upgraded which makes it a better choice.
I understand that they both have integrated which isn't great, but I do not game that much, so it won't really be an issue. And the retina display isn't a must have for me

So should I just go for 1.7ghz i7, 8gb, 512 SSD (max spec'd MBA)

256 gb might actually be enough for me

but you would say this notebook would be fine in comparison to medium-high spec rMBP
mojay12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Dwinguel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Just wanted to add to my previous post to say that there might still be an update to the MBP range this month, contrary to what I said yesterday.

Of course, no one knows, but if it doesn't happen this month, I don't expect anything until after the summer.

So you might want to wait 2-3 weeks to see first.
__________________
Homepage: http://www.antoineribordy.com

My new guide, "Buying a Mac without breaking the Bank" is now available on the Apple iBookstore and the Amazon Kindle store. Don't miss out!
Dwinguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Writergirl7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinguel View Post
Just wanted to add to my previous post to say that there might still be an update to the MBP range this month, contrary to what I said yesterday. .
Why do you say it might still happen this month?
Writergirl7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Dwinguel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writergirl7 View Post
Why do you say it might still happen this month?
Because MBP updates have never happened in July, August or September, so it's unlikely it will happen this year. But of course, I don't know for sure, it's just unlikely based on past release schedules.
__________________
Homepage: http://www.antoineribordy.com

My new guide, "Buying a Mac without breaking the Bank" is now available on the Apple iBookstore and the Amazon Kindle store. Don't miss out!
Dwinguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojay12 View Post

It was very difficult for me to hold out, but I did in hopes of a Haswell rMBP, but as you all know that did not happen.
Is a Haswell CPU even likely at all for the rMBP? I ask this because the retina display requires more power to be able to push light through all of those pixels, so wouldn't that require not only a change to the CPU and a boost to the GPU as well?

What I think is more likely is that the non-retina display models will receive the Haswell update while the retina models will be updated with a newer CPU later in the year or even next year.

If I were you, I would go with a 15" non retina MBP. You get the separate GPU, higher RAM capacity, larger display....etc. and refurbished models are priced reasonably and could save you money over a fully maxed-out MBA.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
appleisking
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Is a Haswell CPU even likely at all for the rMBP? I ask this because the retina display requires more power to be able to push light through all of those pixels, so wouldn't that require not only a change to the CPU and a boost to the GPU as well?

What I think is more likely is that the non-retina display models will receive the Haswell update while the retina models will be updated with a newer CPU later in the year or even next year.

If I were you, I would go with a 15" non retina MBP. You get the separate GPU, higher RAM capacity, larger display....etc. and refurbished models are priced reasonably and could save you money over a fully maxed-out MBA.
I'm sure as long as they use a more powerful haswell processor it'll be fine. It's a must have. No way is Apple gonna sell their flagship macbooks with year old processors. The cmbps probably won't see an update at all. They're being phased out according to rumors but we don't really know for sure. The gpu will be updated to be sure. As for the op, I would wait until you absolutely need a new notebook. If that moment comes and there are no new retina updates, then get an air.
appleisking is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should i buy now, or wait? findingthelimit iMac 21 Aug 20, 2013 05:40 PM
Should I wait or buy now? ukflyer MacBook Pro 23 May 25, 2013 01:26 PM
Should I buy or wait? Katieg-fm Mac mini 18 Nov 17, 2012 10:27 AM
buy now or wait? jetlagged MacBook Pro 4 Nov 13, 2012 11:57 AM
4S: buy or wait? JES iPhone 6 May 31, 2012 11:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC