Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Man Of Steel (Warning) Spoilers

Personally, I enjoyed it! Amazing movie! Great acting!
what did you guys think? I've always been a Superman fan! I might have to go again and re-watch it! It's that good!

on another note, anyone going to watch World War Z? Looks good too.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2
famous600
macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen it. Only replying cause your a skins fan
famous600 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by famous600 View Post
haven't seen it. Only replying cause your a skins fan
httr
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I really liked it and I usually hate superhero movies. I wen't in not knowing anything about superman.

At first I was a little skeptical because I thought the first part of the movie was kind of "scattered" but it quickly resolved itself.

Also I cringed each time Russell Crowe opened his mouth, his acting was not good in this.

I did LOVE the effects though, they were fantastic.

Also did anyone else notice the space dildos going in to the space @$$hole? Seriously I cannot be the only one who saw that...(I'm talking about the bad guys being sent to the ... phantom zone?)
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:13 AM   #5
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I really liked it and I usually hate superhero movies. I wen't in not knowing anything about superman.

At first I was a little skeptical because I thought the first part of the movie was kind of "scattered" but it quickly resolved itself.

Also I cringed each time Russell Crowe opened his mouth, his acting was not good in this.

I did LOVE the effects though, they were fantastic.

Also did anyone else notice the space dildos going in to the space @$$hole? Seriously I cannot be the only one who saw that...(I'm talking about the bad guys being sent to the ... phantom zone?)
Lmfao, i remember the part but "dildos" never came to mind. You my sir, have a dirty mind lmaooo
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:49 PM   #6
jav6454
macrumors G5

Save your time, no Post-Credit scene... get up and leave. Only thing worth noticing that ties Superman and Batman is the space fight. The satellite being destroyed has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it. That's about it.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
NT1440
macrumors G3

Laid it on thick with the Jesus/Americana is some truly cringeworthy scenes. Overall though a great movie.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:02 PM   #8
blevins321
macrumors 68030

4 things. How did Cyber-Russell know everything that he did, considering the program was written before the bad guys showed up and stabbed him.

I am thoroughly disappointed that when Detective Stabler flew the C-17 into the spaceship that there wasn't a gavel tribute to his death.

Why didn't Superman lead with the neck snap. It seemed as if he was OK with about 15,000 people dying but those final 5 with the eye lasers were the real last straw.

And finally, how the hell did Amy Adams get to Grand Central Station so fast? Did she drive one of those cars that fell from the sky?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Well...

The movie wanted to have a heart but it was meant for action.

Lois Lane was always in the wrong spot for no reason, she just needed to be in danger (Lois Lane complex?).

At the city collapsing, no one ran, everybody didn't want to lose the show.

Again, Loise Lane was there.

Yes, space dildos.

I mean, there was not actual script.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:28 AM   #10
bobob
macrumors 65816

I didn't enjoy this movie one bit - - it's another one of these sour modern superhero movies without an ounce of joy in it's heart. That might even be forgivable if I cared about the Superman character in this film, but they clearly picked an 'actor' for his looks rather than his talent this time out.

Also, despite having loads of talented supporting actors, the screenplay left them empty handed. Seriously, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, and Amy Adams - - it could have been an awesome movie if the screenplay had only given them half a chance.

And finally, that seemingly endless action sequence that constituted the last half of the movie - - not only did Superman not act very Superman-esque, helping to kill thousands in collateral damage - - it was flat out repetitive and boring.

Boom, bang, yawn.

Grade: D-
bobob is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a

I enjoyed it but.....

HOLY EFFING COW. DID ANYONE NOTICE HOW HIGH THE CASUALTY RATE WAS? There had to have been like ten thousand people dead.
ipodlover77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:01 PM   #12
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

I really think the high casualty rate happened for a reason... ...for Lex Luthor to rebuild Metropolis and in turn try to turn the people of Metropolis against the Man of Steel.

Similar to how The Dark Knight Trilogy posed, was the escalation worth having a superhero around?
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Save your time, no Post-Credit scene... get up and leave. Only thing worth noticing that ties Superman and Batman is the space fight. The satellite being destroyed has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it. That's about it.
Bad advice. A movie is not over until the credits are over. You should always stay until the end of the credits no matter if there is an extra "scene" or not.

Anyway, I thought this was easily the best Superman movie ever made. I really really really hope there are no more reboot origin stories of Superman. Not for decades, at least. Between the movies, the tv series, the cartoons and the comics, this had to be the 50th origin story of Superman. I want continuity for once. Something different.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:33 AM   #14
jasonvp
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post
I really think the high casualty rate happened for a reason... ...for Lex Luthor to rebuild Metropolis and in turn try to turn the people of Metropolis against the Man of Steel.
That's an excellent guess. Another one is: this is a young Superman who is still sorta coming to terms with his abilities and responsibilities. The first real challenge to his abilities from an enemy was: (a much older and more experienced) Zod. That's just not going to end well, one way or the other.

Phenomenal movie. Those that complain about the fighting scenes and potential death tolls need to spend more time watching some of the most-excellent Animated Series takes on Superman. Various blocks of Metropolis can and do get obliterated when Supes has to take on someone of almost-equal ability. It's rarely pretty. And also, Superman's main modus operandi is: when in doubt, just break it.

I think we have the potential for some really evil Superman baddies after this first film.
jasonvp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:45 AM   #15
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
That's an excellent guess. Another one is: this is a young Superman who is still sorta coming to terms with his abilities and responsibilities. The first real challenge to his abilities from an enemy was: (a much older and more experienced) Zod. That's just not going to end well, one way or the other.

Phenomenal movie. Those that complain about the fighting scenes and potential death tolls need to spend more time watching some of the most-excellent Animated Series takes on Superman. Various blocks of Metropolis can and do get obliterated when Supes has to take on someone of almost-equal ability. It's rarely pretty. And also, Superman's main modus operandi is: when in doubt, just break it.

I think we have the potential for some really evil Superman baddies after this first film.
I lol'd after seeing this picture

ipodlover77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM   #16
dejo

Overall, I found the movie to be good, but not nearly as great as I was hoping after having seen Trailer 3. And I found the battle scenes to be rather long. My wife actually dozed off during the Metropolis one; she was so bored with it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 601

The sheet amount of destruction is unparalleled in any other super hero movie. Basically a major city was completely leveled during prime work hours.

Also, this Superman was Alpha as hell. I was mirin', I admit it.
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:11 PM   #18
twietee
macrumors 68040

Took itself waaay too serious.

So Lois already knows who Clark Kent is? I mean that was the whole point, making him and their pairing somehow interesting and granted some comic relief. Kent always awkwardly disappearing when it gets kinda hot - not so much anymore I guess..well, but I couldn't care less, not going to watch the sequel.

Also hilarious how Kent's father (Costner) sacrificed himself in front of his son and wife to rescue the dog (!) only to prove his point. C'mon! So much better and more intelligent in the orginal Reeves one, where he died by a heart attack / natural cause.

Worst part was that Crowe's character died within the first minutes (yay!) only to come back every other scene.

Oh, and they really had to save the world by flying with a plane into a sky high construction right over Manhattan?

Last edited by twietee; Jun 21, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
twietee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:38 PM   #19
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Can't wait for Man Of a Steel 2 ))

Btw has anyone seen world war z yet? Is it good?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:51 AM   #20
angelneo
macrumors 68000

As a superhero flick, it was entertaining and fine. But the story wasn't good at all as a "intelligent and serious" movie.

Superman appearing behind Lois at the tombstone was a "Huh??" moment, then a few scenes later, you have him taking a bus to see his mother...

The world machine was on the other side of the planet, you see the sun rising giving superman power, next he flew back to the other ship and it's broad daylight!!

His human dad death was really really stupid...

These are some of the issues I had with the story. The action was cool, but the story doesn't really hold up in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:45 AM   #21
twietee
macrumors 68040

Completely agree, Angelneo. Don't want to be the internet naysayer, but nowadays lots of these franchises are made the grimey way (Bond, Batman, now even Superman) and pretend to be magically more realistic and serious while we still follow a guy who wears his undies on top...and a capital S on his chest ("Which means hope in my mother tongue.")

Intellectually, this was a great mess and disappointing. It comes down to the point that I found General Zod even more clever than Superman: Zod: "I am protecting Krypton like you protect the Earth!" Superman: "Krypton had it's chance already." Ah, ok! Good reasoning there before wasting half the city, dude!
twietee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:49 AM   #22
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Completely agree, Angelneo. Don't want to be the internet naysayer, but nowadays lots of these franchises are made the grimey way (Bond, Batman, now even Superman) and pretend to be magically more realistic and serious while we still follow a guy who wears his undies on top...and a capital S on his chest ("Which means hope in my mother tongue.")

Intellectually, this was a great mess and disappointing. It comes down to the point that I found General Zod even more clever than Superman: Zod: "I am protecting Krypton like you protect the Earth!" Superman: "Krypton had it's chance already." Ah, ok! Good reasoning there before wasting half the city, dude!
Are you looking forward to the sequel?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:02 AM   #23
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
Are you looking forward to the sequel?
No

But I eventually will. Watching almost every superhero flic in the end. (Just to complain afterwards on the internet..)

Did you follow the comic series recently? Where does the idea of Lois already knowing the secret identity of Clark come from? Also the whole world knows that she knows. Really strange scenario imho. I'm probably biased by Teri Hatcher, which made the perfect Lois Lane for me. But glad that you liked the movie.

Haven't watched World War Z, The Place beyond the Pines it will be next.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:16 PM   #24
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
No

But I eventually will. Watching almost every superhero flic in the end. (Just to complain afterwards on the internet..)

Did you follow the comic series recently? Where does the idea of Lois already knowing the secret identity of Clark come from? Also the whole world knows that she knows. Really strange scenario imho. I'm probably biased by Teri Hatcher, which made the perfect Lois Lane for me. But glad that you liked the movie.

Haven't watched World War Z, The Place beyond the Pines it will be next.
i wont have time to go see World War Z, if you do go. Let me know if it was good or not.

I'm tempted to download from TPB but I want to enjoy it on Blu-ray when it comes out
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Best DragonBall Z movie yet......

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion