Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seammal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I have a friend bringing an Air for me from the States to Europe. He should receive it pretty soon, but I'm only gonna get my hand on it in a month.
How should the laptop be treated to maximize battery life? I mean first charge, turning on and things alike.
Should he turn it on to check if it works all right? (he won't have time to return it so I guess it makes no difference whether he realizes that there is something wrong with it. i/he bought it with 3 years warranty so even if something is wrong with it it should be fine)
And if he does turn it on for say 5-10 mins, should he charge it to full, or just not plug it in at all, and I can charge it one month later? Is it a problem if the first charge is not full?

I just want to make sure that the battery will be tip-top health and not **** it up with starting off the wrong way.

Thanks for the help!
cheers

Thanks for the help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The battery as packaged when shipped is fine for storage for months on end. I wouldn't bother asking your friend to even boot the machine up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.