Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
400 million Apple devices will be turned over by next year. And all the current iOSes will be forgotten. And now we have, the 7.

"That's different."

I personally have concerns about it. As to how I will be able to use it, does Passbook still work as well? Is it fast and responsive?

Is the blinding empty white space practical?

What is iOS7? I don't know. What do you think?

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think apple.com can answer all those questions and more. By the way, it's still just a first beta, so answering definitively any questions about performance or even visuals is impossible.

joneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Yes. Because I can't tell if Apple is trying to make the OS more simple, more easy to use?

It just doesn't seem that advanced.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
7.0 is still the same for power users, it hasn't changed much except the design and a few new gestures. Passbook and stuff works well, things like Camera takes pictures faster thanks to the shutter being gone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yes. Because I can't tell if Apple is trying to make the OS more simple, more easy to use?

It just doesn't seem that advanced.

They're following a couple design principles. Simplicity, deference, affordance, and some others. Basically, they want to remove the visual clutter and take the focus away from the UI, letting the content shine.

They're not trying to simplify iOS, just how it looks and sometimes works.

joneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
They're following a couple design principles. Simplicity, deference, affordance, and some others. Basically, they want to remove the visual clutter and take the focus away from the UI, letting the content shine.

They're not trying to simplify iOS, just how it looks and sometimes works.

It's so amateur though, you go from a glass panel dock to a blur. It looks photoshopped.

2zqfrzd.jpg

MfUWCIg.jpg

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

But it's so ugly.

Why didn't they hire a real designer?

They have tons of "real," talented designers working there. Reportedly, though, Ive and Ed the visuals off to the marketing and web teams, to try to get a bigger, more radical change to start with.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
The question I have is, does Jony Ive and his team believe their design prinicple's are more important than customer satisfaction? I don't think apple had many issues with iOS and customer satisfaction.

Anyway I blame Tim cook for not doing his job and keeping core talent in the company.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think iOS 7 is beautiful. It is by far the best looking smartphone OS, IMO. At first I didn't like the icons, but now I like them better than iOS 6. I even love the new look of the dock, while others hate it. There are still things I dislike about iOS when compared to Android, such as the lack of openness, but that is nothing new.

With any major change, there will be people who hate it, people who love it, and people who get used to it. This is no different.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
It's so amateur though, you go from a glass panel dock to a blur. It looks photoshopped.

This picture does iOS 7 absolutely no justice.
I think people should at least start posting vine short clips of iOS 7 instead of pictures.
Deliberately cropping out ugly iOS 7 icons (which to me are odd icons but its not a big issue) and comparing it to professionally done, nearly 6 year old icons is injustice.
I shown two vine clips comparing iOS 6 and iOS 7 to my own aged mother, and she thinks iOS 7 looks cleaner.

travisbrowning

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Doesn't even sound like you've tried it out yet. Because it's pretty awesome, definitely not a disaster. And if you have tried it, then realize this is beta 1.

----------

The question I have is, does Jony Ive and his team believe their design prinicple's are more important than customer satisfaction? I don't think apple had many issues with iOS and customer satisfaction.

Anyway I blame Tim cook for not doing his job and keeping core talent in the company.

I think they go hand in hand. We love well designed products and interfaces.

joneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
I think you should wait until it releases. Right now all that is out here is an unfinished product.

And Apple has this habit of releasing things that are unfinished. Just like Siri and Maps. Apple is on a downwards spiral. Of course we got used to iOS6, but the bugs are still there. Maps is still as crappy as ever. And iOS 7 is the worst thing I've seen in a long time.

The "beta" excuse.

Last edited:

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Can we please have admin to create sticky post what explains that iOS7 is still work-in-progress?

Release is still months away and people are crying from icons to glass panel, there is already hints that some of the icons will be redesigned in the future update.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Can we please have admin to create sticky post what explains that iOS7 is still work-in-progress?

Why? Let them complain. Everyone with a brain knows a beta isnt the finished good. Of course its a work in progress.

I honestly enjoy these threads. There's always someone hoping for someone else to agree with them and say "Apple is moving backwards". I left the iPhone last year. At times I miss it and at times I don't. I don't cry about it, its life. Apple makes one of the best devices/OS/computers etc. People will never be satisfied. :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
For the sake of my sanity, I opted right out of any debate with people about "good" or "bad", as there's always going to be people who disagree with the side you take and the opinions you have, no matter how you attempt to convince them otherwise; something I have learnt is almost impossible, and simply not worth worth it, for countless reasons.

However, I should like to point you in the direction of an incredible WWDC video - one which will better acquaint you with how the logical design and layout of iOS 7 interfaces are conceived, the thought and detail of which are discussed at an extremely deep level, and are impossible to argue with, if one has a logical, natural designer's eye and a will to making tasks as effortless and fluid as possible:

http://devstreaming.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2013/208xex3xyxmpz8s37fk59avul0c5/208/208-SD.mov?dl=1

I'd hope with all my heart that all of you will watch this, but since that is rather unlikely, maybe I'll say this; if you are one who disagrees with iOS 7 design decisions, download and watch this video, then see if you come away with a different view of the OS - I am confident you almost certainly will.

Merely saying "I *hate* iOS 7" is ignorant, unless you've taken time out to watch and read literature from Apple engineers themselves, not just piffle and hearsay from random blogs and tech "journalists".

That link just redirects me to the main videos on the developer page. If you are referring to the hour-long video where one designer expounded the design motifs and philosophies behind iOS 7, then I've seen it. I think it's overall a decent direction, but the execution is lacking and some of their bigger ideas are really misguided.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I personally like the new look for the most part. It's cleaner and more modern.

What I have problems with is if the final version of iOS7 still does not have true multitasking, or the ability to change that primitive iOS keyboard.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I personally like the new look for the most part. It's cleaner and more modern.

What I have problems with is if the final version of iOS7 still does not have true multitasking, or the ability to change that primitive iOS keyboard.

iOS 7 has big improvements to multitasking, I suggest you research those a bit.

joneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
We don't want iOS 7.

At least we didn't want to see it go down like this.

They're literally ruining Steve Jobs idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
iOS 7 has big improvements to multitasking, I suggest you research those a bit.

I have. But it seems like there are not all that "big."

If you can tell me that I can, for instance, use a flashlight app with the screen off, and that I can dial out while the flashlight is on, then I'd say they are "big."

But if it's simply recreating the stock Android multitasking panel where I can select apps previously used, or only allowing some apps to trickle information in the background, then the changes are superfluous and there is still not good implementation of multitasking in iOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.