Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sorry to bring this back, but I gots to know! Do the new Haswell Airs have new displays or is it the same as 2012? Is anyone getting Samsung displays or is it LG across the board now? New owners please chime in.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have an LSN one - A Samsung I believe. I picked one up yesterday from my local Apple Store and when I got home and I was setting it up I notice a problem with the left shift key. It was making a weird clicking noise and was wobbling. The screen also seemed washed out and pixelated.

I took it back due to the key and the replacement is fine and definitely has a far superior screen. I can only assume the first one was an LG screen but I didn't check.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
I have an LSN one - A Samsung I believe. I picked one up yesterday from my local Apple Store and when I got home and I was setting it up I notice a problem with the left shift key. It was making a weird clicking noise and was wobbling. The screen also seemed washed out and pixelated.

I took it back due to the key and the replacement is fine and definitely has a far superior screen. I can only assume the first one was an LG screen but I didn't check.

Well i have the LG screen and i can say it is simply beautiful. I must be lucky. I have not saw a Samsung one but i am happy with what i have got, i cant see it being any better.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Y my screen was very washed out when i got it, after calibrating it is acceptable/good. Not great. I will see in the next 14 days if its something that I want to live with. LG screen.

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I just checked mine and I have an LG. Is there any way to exchange it for a Samsung?

Seammal

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Could you guys post what is the config of your machine those who have posted the type of display?

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I doubt it. Its hit or miss with the displays.

Thanks for the reply.

It's very unfortunate. I hope it's just that my specific configuration gets the LG displays and not just a thing where random laptops get either display paying such a high price for these laptops should get us the better displays of the two.

Seammal

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Though is LG really worse than the Samsung after calibration? There are corrected color profiles floating around the web, is the LG worse even after using that?

Thanks for the reply.

It's very unfortunate. I hope it's just that my specific configuration gets the LG displays and not just a thing where random laptops get either display paying such a high price for these laptops should get us the better displays of the two.

Neeyul

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
Just received my 13" this morning equipped with the LG display. Noticed the colors were a little washed out, and picked up one of those color calibration profiles. Looks great now!

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Just received my 13" this morning equipped with the LG display. Noticed the colors were a little washed out, and picked up one of those color calibration profiles. Looks great now!

Where can we locate these color calibration profiles?

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008

Same here! It looks wonderful.

PM me with your email if you want my calibration profile.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My previous 2011 MBA was an LG monitor, and my new 2013 is a Samsung. Frankly, after using it for 1.5+ years, I actually now prefer the LG. The Samsung feels bluish. So really, as posted above.... Both are fine monitors and just be happy with whatever you got. Either way, you'll most likely get used to it. I think it's more to do with the perception that the Samsung is some amazing screen and so everything sees their LG as crap.

When the 2011's came out, It was all about if you have the Toshiba SSD you were screwed (it was slower than the Samsung) and if you had the LG screen you were screwed..... Guess what? My 2011 was a Toshiba/LG and it was such a great laptop that I bought the 2013. Who cares, it's all benchmarks and opinions. Whether your MBA boots up in 15 or 16 seconds, who cares? Same with the screen.... Just sayin.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California

Out of curiosity, which profile did you download and use?

Neeyul

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
I used this display calibration profile. It's super easy to install.

Made it beautifully rich and crisp, and it was made by a MacRumors forum member.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I had the Samsung on my 2012. I have the LG (LP133WP1-TJA7) on my '13. After the color calibration, looks the same to me. The LG looked slightly washed out after my restore, but it's fine now. Pics in Aperture look crisp and text is just as legible as I remember. :cool:

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
ultimate model and have an LG screen which looks just fine as far as I can tell

----------

I used this display calibration profile. It's super easy to install.

Made it beautifully rich and crisp, and it was made by a MacRumors forum member.

For which make and model LCD screen was that profile made?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.