Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tompana82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Hello,

I have a 13 Inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (Non-Retina) and 3 Acer x223w monitors. I would like to hook all displays up to my MacBook Pro.

Could I do this using the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock?

I was considering connecting two of the monitors to the thunderbolt ports on the dock with a DVI to thunderbolt adapter. The third monitor could be connected to either a usb or firewire port on the MacBook or the dock, with the proper adapter.

Will this work/ does the OS and hardware support this? Apple support had no idea. No opinions please.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
That won't work because one of the thunderbolt ports is used to connect the dock to the laptop.

1 Thunderbolt port to connect to laptop
1 Thunderbolt port to connect Thunderbolt devices (Daisy-chain up to 5 devices through one port)

You would be able to connect two USB to DVI adapters to your MBP but it would create lag across your machine. For a 3 monitor setup for non-ATD you'd want a retina MBP as they have 2 thunderbolt/mini-displayport and one HDMI ports

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.