Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I apologize if this in the wrong section but I couldn't decide where to put this thread.

I've been using an 802.11g Airport Express since 2004 and surprisingly it still works but it can be a bit slow when first syncing up with my iTunes library to begin streaming music. In-fact there is a brief pause of about 5-10 seconds before it begins playing music and a dialogue box opens with a connection load bar.

So my question is: Are the latest Airport Expresses instant at beginning to play music from iTunes?

I'm thinking it may be worth my while to upgrade.

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
5-10seconds?
to me that's quite long.

i own one, use one, and dont appear to have your problem.

i'd suggest before u buy a new one, bring ur existing express to a friend's place with a better wifi network and see if u still suffer that same issue.
[and try to narrow down if it's ur wifi network that is causing this issue]

Quu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply but I know it isn't my WiFi network as even over ethernet directly to the Airport Express it does this. Just keep in mind I got this thing in 2004. It is literally 9 years old. It is 802.11g not even n.

I'm thinking it is just very very outdated compared to the latest ones so I'm just curious if anyone who has a latest one can weigh in on its performance.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Thanks for the reply but I know it isn't my WiFi network as even over ethernet directly to the Airport Express it does this. Just keep in mind I got this thing in 2004. It is literally 9 years old. It is 802.11g not even n.

I'm thinking it is just very very outdated compared to the latest ones so I'm just curious if anyone who has a latest one can weigh in on its performance.

I have the 1st Gen 802.11n Express. I just tested it out and there is no noticeable delay at the speakers once the music starts in iTunes.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i have an express (old style, N version), a Denon receiver with airplay, an IW2 from ihome, and a B&W a7.

i airplay to all of them, and will get the same pop up bar you do.

it takes a while to get the connection started, and then it has to buffer some.
you might see a second or 2 dropped off the connection time, but probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.