Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
Alright, so i got a nano a while back and grabbed a powered usb hub since i needed the extra ports on my pb and thought it would double as a power adaptor when i didnt have the pb with me.

so anyway, i lent the pb to my gf the other day then later went to charge my nano on the usb hub and found it wont give out power unless its plugged in to something. i tried plugging it into itself but that didnt work. any idea how i could trick it into powering the ports? the things powers them up if its plugged into the pb while shutdown (not just sleep, completely shut down) so im guessing i'd need to short a pair of pins or something. anyone have any ideas?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
lucas said:
any idea how i could trick it into powering the ports? the things powers them up if its plugged into the pb while shutdown (not just sleep, completely shut down) so im guessing i'd need to short a pair of pins or something.
I'm not completely sure, but I don't think that'll work.

USB is a master/slave protocol, so it is probably looking for a USB master on the bus and not finding it. USB devices are generally not "dumb", and a hub is just another USB slave device.

Firewire is more egalitarian than USB.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.