Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I have a original gen A macbook air (2008) and recently the right hinge just cracked. It's out of apple care already. Will Apple still fix it for free? Any other people have similar problem lately? Thanks.

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Highly unlikely that any manufacturer will fix any machine that is several years out of warranty - including Apple.

Have you gone to your Apple store and asked them yourself?
Or called Apple tech support and asked?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
By the book, NO. But you already know that.

However, things happens (I hear) at the Apple store. If you are cute, very personable, a natural-born salesperson, hey give it a try. All they can say is no.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Just went to Apple Store. The answer is the typical "it's out of warranty, so we can fix it but got to charge you" response. Sigh.

I heard people can find parts on ebay and do it themselves. Maybe I will try that. Anyone here have attempted fixing it?

Thanks!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I have a original gen A macbook air (2008) and recently the right hinge just cracked. It's out of apple care already. Will Apple still fix it for free? Any other people have similar problem lately? Thanks.

For the record: considering, that the rev a mba's are known for their crappy hinges, in some countries you could build quite a good case for it being a manufacturing fault and (within what that country's customer projection legislation would consider a reasonable lifespan of an ultra book) get it fixed nevertheless.

RGDS,

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Highly unlikely that any manufacturer will fix any machine that is several years out of warranty - including Apple.

Apple still fixes plastic Macbook topcases for free on out of warranty machines as long as they are still in the "Supported" part of their lifecycle. They replaced it on my then five year old Macbook that didn't have any form of warranty outside of the expired standard one year.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just went to Apple Store. The answer is the typical "it's out of warranty, so we can fix it but got to charge you" response. Sigh.

I heard people can find parts on ebay and do it themselves. Maybe I will try that. Anyone here have attempted fixing it?

Thanks!
Did you even ask what the charge would be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.