Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegorgon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
For the second time in a few months my Mac Pro have trouble booting. Last time I did a reinstall from the Recovery mode. After that I set up Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my boot drive each night. I already had Time Machine backups enabled.

Now I am unable to boot again, even in safe mode. The computer hangs at the grey screen with the Apple logo and spinning gear. I am able to boot into Recovery mode and even Single-user mode, but in Single-user mode fsck hangs.

I have bought an SSD disk and want to replace the twice-failing disk. The new SSD is 480GB and the original Mac Pro harddrive is 640GB. The harddrive contains maybe 590GB, but there is a lot of files that does not need to go on the SSD.

What is the best way to do a restore, when I don't want all of the content on the new drive?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You could just clone back to the new drive with CCC and uncheck the box on the source side for some of the larger folder like maybe your music and folders. Then deal with then later once the SSD is setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.