Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
My daughters iphone 4 has been dropping it's 3G coverage randomly for no apparent reason even though we're in an area that has great service. Instead of the normal "3G" service on the top of her screen she gets a little "O" as if there's no 3G available. With this she's still able to make calls but data won't work.

It happens in all locations, not just at our home. Any thoughts? She tried the *228 but that didn't help. Thanks for any idea's.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
My daughters iphone 4 has been dropping it's 3G coverage randomly for no apparent reason even though we're in an area that has great service. Instead of the normal "3G" service on the top of her screen she gets a little "O" as if there's no 3G available. With this she's still able to make calls but data won't work.

It happens in all locations, not just at our home. Any thoughts? She tried the *228 but that didn't help. Thanks for any idea's.

Did she accidentally turn off 3G? I mean its almost impossible to get a 'O' all the time unless your family leaves in a jungle or something .
There is a difference between turning off 3G and turning off cellular data network. Turning off 3G disables the 3G radios and hence causing your phone to go back to 2G/GSM data connections. You can still make perfect calls, but data will be extremely slow to the point it is unusable . (Yes, there is still data connection over 2G)

Otherwise, reboot your phone. If it still doesn't work, hard reset it. And if it still doesn't work, restore it. If all else fails, go to the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.