Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:37 AM   #1
actisys
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Post OS X 10.9 Maverick - Battery Life

I would like to know whether Maverick will let you have longer battery usage on any other MBP or rMBP ? Anyone has this experience please share your thought.

I've used my MBP 15" late 2011 on Maverick for couple of days.. Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% .. I'm not sure how accurate is this but I only running few tab on Safari and Messages ..I don't think it can last 8hrs...maybe only on surfing text? I think slightly 10% battery life increased after upgrade to Maverick




Thanks.

Last edited by actisys; Jun 16, 2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: add screenshot
actisys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
I noticed 30-60 minute improvement with my rMBP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actisys View Post
I would like to know whether Maverick will let you have longer battery usage on any other MBP or rMBP ? Anyone has this experience please share your thought.

Thanks.
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Baklava
macrumors 6502a
 
Baklava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Germany
I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.
__________________
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
My second dev rMBP had that problem too, then I removed a lot of unnecessary programs from OS X and repaired permissions with disk utility, after reboot sleep worked as before.

Also remember to disable Power Nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:05 AM   #5
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
Also remember to disable Power Nap.
Why?
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
leman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
I noticed 30-60 minute improvement with my rMBP.
Same here
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Why?
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a
 
kristoffer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Why?
I thought power nap only ran when plugged in?
kristoffer4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9
MacReloaded
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post
I thought power nap only ran when plugged in?
By default, yes. But you could also enable it when unplugged.
__________________
iMac (24-inch, Mid 2007) | iPad 2, Air | iPhone 3G, 4, 4S, 5 | MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
MacReloaded is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Baklava
macrumors 6502a
 
Baklava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
Also remember to disable Power Nap.
I unfortunately don't have this option under System Preferences > Energy Saver.
__________________
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by actisys View Post
Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% ..
Why do so many people rely on what the battery stats say? It's just a guess. It changes constantly depending on what you are doing. I suppose if you just sit and stare at that "8 hour" banner while doing nothing else, you just might get close.

The only way to determine how much time you get out of charge is to time it yourself. No two people will get the exact same usage time.

Last edited by Krazy Bill; Jun 16, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Krazy Bill is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
'Arry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
I unfortunately don't have this option under System Preferences > Energy Saver.
Power Nap is only for Retina MacBook Pro, and Macbook Air since 2010. If you have a conventional MBP, you can't use Power Nap, so that probably explains why there's no option for it in System Preferences.

Last edited by 'Arry; Jun 16, 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add link
'Arry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.
Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:34 AM   #14
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
My apologies, I should have given more detailed message.

I had it enabled before in 10.8 and noticed after upgrading to 10.9 dp1 that it consumes more battery, or so I at least think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
wermy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Has anyone with a 2013 MBA tried it yet? The battery life on those is already ridiculously good, I'm wondering how much more it will improve with Mavericks.
wermy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:17 PM   #16
playsontheleft
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

What did you guys do in order to achieve these battery lives? Anything special?
__________________
spec
playsontheleft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:19 PM   #17
MikesGravity
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
I noticed 30-60 minute improvement with my rMBP.
Did you notice Mavericks run a little smoother than ML on the rMBP?
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro
Airport Extreme / 3x AppleTV / iPod Classic 80GB
iPhone 6
[AT&T] 64GB Space Gray
MikesGravity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesGravity View Post
Did you notice Mavericks run a little smoother than ML on the rMBP?
Not anything big, I noticed that it runs bit smoother when you switch between spaces, and of course scrolling is a lot better in safari now, especially if you don't use native scaling.
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by playsontheleft View Post
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

What did you guys do in order to achieve these battery lives? Anything special?
I was aggressively watching energy tab in activity monitor first few days, and noticed that Safari overall uses most battery in my system. It seemed that safari had trouble with some web pages and they consumed a lot of cpu in the background. Also afterwards I put ClickToFlash back to my safari.

Just watch activity monitor and try to find what is using all your battery.
Hyuga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Hyuga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Helsinki or Barcelona
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.png
Views:	929
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	418613  

Last edited by Hyuga; Jun 19, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Hyuga is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:47 PM   #21
Quercus Alba
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuga View Post
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.
Wow, that looks great!
Quercus Alba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:36 PM   #23
hunt2013
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.
I just got my maxed out 2013 13 inch MBA. On 10.8.4 I got 13 hours. On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours on good days with just Safari.

It rocks

Last edited by hunt2013; Jun 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
hunt2013 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:42 PM   #24
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt2013 View Post
...On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours.
i5 or i7 processor? I think i5, not!?
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:08 PM   #25
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt2013 View Post
I just got my maxed out 2013 13 inch MBA. On 10.8.4 I got 13 hours. On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours on good days with just Safari.

It rocks
Wow, interesting. What brightness settings? Keyboard backlight on/off? Bluetooth on/off?
Infinitewisdom is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk battery life. What kind of battery life are you getting? animalx Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 43 Feb 21, 2014 10:37 PM
2012 MBA Maverick Battery Results kage207 MacBook Air 0 Nov 9, 2013 11:55 PM
Does Maverick give 15" rMBP extra battery life? questionmark MacBook Pro 36 Aug 5, 2013 09:27 AM
Battery time with Lion or Maverick? n1tut MacBook Air 20 Jun 13, 2013 11:33 PM
Do battery juice pack cases affect the iPhone battery life? saintforlife iPhone 3 Jun 1, 2012 07:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC