Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
steve knight
macrumors 65816

5 Year old gives the finger to WBC and they are pissed.

This little girl is amazing She fully pissed off these misters and had them all riled up. I guess it is ok if you protest but if a 5 year old does it it does not feel as good.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 44490.html
What happens when a little girl decides to set up a lemonade stand for peace outside the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Kansas? Members of the community step out in droves to show support, even as the hate group tries to quash it.
Five-year-old Jayden, the daughter of Jon Sink, founder of the philanthropic arts group FRESHCASSETTE - Creative Compassion, decided to set up a stand selling pink lemonade at The Equality House on Friday afternoon. The Equality House is a rainbow-colored building directly across the street from Westboro's Topeka compound. The house, which was painted the colors of the pride flag in March, was bought by Aaron Jackson, one of the founders of Planting Peace, a multi-pronged nonprofit set up in 2004 and aimed at spreading goodwill and equality around the globe.
Jayden, who is from Kansas City, decided to set up her stand at the Equality House after her parents explained to her the significance of its construct. After being told that the church across the street had a message of hate, she set a goal of raising money to go towards a message of love and peace.
So she painted a banner for the event reading, "Pink Lemonade for Peace: $1 Suggested Donation." She put the stand in the grass and waited. But the waiting didn't take long. Supporters came in by the droves and $1 turned into hundreds of dollars.
During the day, Westboro sent representatives outside to try and find a way to stop the event. They apparently attempted to call the local police and stooped to yelling profanities when that didn't work, like calling a group of soldiers who rode out on their motorcycles to suport the event "bastards."
Westboro's hate couldn't stop Jayden. She not only raised $400 during the day on Friday, but she has also collected over $1000 with an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise. Some people donated as little as $10 and as much as $230. One person gave $26, dedicating it to every person killed six months ago in the Newtown, Conn., massacre.
"As we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church puts a lot of hate into the world," Jackson told HuffPost in an email Friday. "Since we cannot stop them, the next best thing is to smother it with love. That is what 5-year-old Jayden accomplished today! Jayden set up a lemonade stand in front of the church. Not only did she quench the thirst of a lot of loving supporters, the money she raised was donated to Planting Peace so she could help Planting Peace promote a more peaceful world."
“Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with," Davis Hammet, Director of Operations at Planting Peace, added. "We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.”
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
zioxide
macrumors 603

I was hoping there was going to be a picture of her actually giving them the finger, but good story nonetheless

Anyone who pisses off the WBC is good in my book.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
I was hoping there was going to be a picture of her actually giving them the finger, but good story nonetheless

Naa they would not react to the finger but this? that riled them up to no end. far more effective for sure. Love how they acted all christian like too.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:14 AM   #4
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post

Same here, same here....
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Wow. Quite an amazing five year old who came up with this idea on her own, made the sign, worked out the location logistics and drove to Topeka from Kansas City, and capped it off with coordinating an online campaign that collected $1000.00.

Leave the kids out of it.
Gutwrench is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Wow. Quite an amazing five year old who came up with this idea on her own, made the sign, worked out the location logistics and drove to Topeka from Kansas City, and capped it off with coordinating an online campaign that collected $1000.00.

Are you saying that Jon Sink used his daughter to promote his own agenda?

Either way, WBC is one messed up church, I find it funny.
TheAppleFairy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFairy View Post
Are you saying that Jon Sink used his daughter to promote his own agenda?

Either way, WBC is one messed up church, I find it funny.
Anything that causes WBC grief is good in my book. However, a 5 year old shouldn't be involved as it only sets her up as a target for WBC.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I agree - keep the kids out of this.

Having said that, it's plain disgusting how those religious freaks abuse their own brainwashed kids and have them hold up signs saying "god hates fags". It's the perfect example of how you can make your kid believe whatever you want her/him to believe, to me it's the opposite of "freedom of religion".
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:44 PM   #9
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed.

Anything that causes WBC grief is good in my book. However, a 5 year old shouldn't be involved as it only sets her up as a target for WBC.
Same here. WBC gives real churches a bad name. And Getting a 5 year old involved...not sure that is a good idea with these crazy people.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

The 5 year old probably had no clue what was going on.

I'm not sure that thrusting your 5 year old into a powder keg where profanity and possible physical confrontations could happen would be something I'd subscribe to.
Zombie Acorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

The WBC would never hurt a 5 year old. All they can do is hold up signs and shout profanities - or sue you because they're all layers, I hear.

Everyone, stop being so paranoid and help use our children to spread love and happiness because we can always use someone or something to make us laugh and shift our worries because let's face it, we're all just little people living on a rock hurling through infinite space.
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues