Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mail or take to Apple store 88.1 miles away??

• Mail IPhone 4S to Apple

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Take IPhone 4s to Apple store 88.1 miles away

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Recently the Wi-Fi option on my phone has greyed out and Apple says I could send my phone in for a replacement or take it to an Apple store...Since the only Apple store near me is 88.1 miles away I thought it would be easier to mail it. But they said if they received it damaged it would be charged to my credit card. My question here is this, if I mail my phone in to Apple to let them replace it would it be safe on the way to delivery?? Like hitting bumps in the truck, accidents, or them claiming they didn't receive it anything like that. I have never mailed anything to them before and I'm nervous, as I am under a contract and don't have $500 laying around. Maybe I'm just being extra cautious or nervous I don't know.

Last edited:

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I'd say you would be fine by mailing it. Just make sure to pack it with lots of bubble wrap or whatever. You may also want to pay for shipping insurance for extra piece of mind.

Kevin

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I'd say you would be fine by mailing it. Just make sure to pack it with lots of bubble wrap or whatever. You may also want to pay for shipping insurance for extra piece of mind.

Kevin

Thanks for the help but I'm going to leave this thread as unresolved to see others votes. Because I'm kind of nervous about mailing it.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
Don't mail it! I have my own horror story from this. Although I live in a fairly urban area near an Apple store, I wanted to send my device to Amazon for trade-in. They were giving me a GREAT deal! Well, when I handed the phone to the ups Driver, he chucked I felt the bubble wrap slide off before he chucked it into the back of the truck. :eek: Amazon refuses to acknowledge my claim and after the phone arrived, it's been sitting in the "mystery merchant's" warehous for OVER A WEEK!! Now, even though Apple isn't Amazon, I would feel much more comfortable actually driving it to the Apple store so you can follow it's path all the way to getting it back. Just my opinion.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Don't mail it! I have my own horror story from this. Although I live in a fairly urban area near an Apple store, I wanted to send my device to Amazon for trade-in. They were giving me a GREAT deal! Well, when I handed the phone to the ups Driver, he chucked I felt the bubble wrap slide off before he chucked it into the back of the truck. :eek: Amazon refuses to acknowledge my claim and after the phone arrived, it's been sitting in the "mystery merchant's" warehous for OVER A WEEK!! Now, even though Apple isn't Amazon, I would feel much more comfortable actually driving it to the Apple store so you can follow it's path all the way to getting it back. Just my opinion.

Thank you so much!! I will definitely take it myself!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just pack it really well. I mail much more sensitive things then iPhones quite often. Just have to pack it right.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
bubble wrap it and put it in a small flat rate box.

you might as well learn how to ship, its not hard

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Pad it well and insure it and you'll be fine. What they are telling you is a standard disclaimer and people try to pull fast ones by sending in pieces and saying it was fine when they mailed it.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
If you want, you can get express replacement. They send you a new replacement phone first, so you won't be without a phone for weeks, and then you can send the old phone back in the box they used to send you the replacement phone. Just stuff those materials they used to protect the phone back into the box, so you can be sure it has enough protection to survive the journey to apple.

I have done this with apple multiple times and never had a problem.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Geesh...just package it properly, buy insurance, and mail it. How do you think they get to the store in the first place? Or to your house if you order it from apple.com?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Safe to mail IPhone 4S

Get insurance if the package gets lost. I have gotten a lost package recently that usps lost that had a replacement case in it and it had attacking number. Its been processed from a week now.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Geesh...just package it properly, buy insurance, and mail it. How do you think they get to the store in the first place? Or to your house if you order it from apple.com?

Millions of iPhones and other electronics more expensive than iPhones are mailed every year. Not a big deal.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My question here is this, if I mail my phone in to Apple to let them replace it would it be safe on the way to delivery??
If you're worried then use FedEx or UPS (or some other traceable shipping method) and get the device insured.

Mail or take to Apple store 88.1 miles away??
Polling's not the way to answer your question. You need to make the call based on your preferences. Do you want easier or faster? Answer that and you'll have your answer.

As soon as possible which would take longer??
Delivery times available on the site of the shipping companies. You can easily figure out how quickly you can cover 88 miles in each direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.