Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tingalayo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Austin, TX
Im planning to buy a new macbook. But I want some feedback to see what you guys think would be a better option for me.

The two models im looking at are:

New
$1300
2013 Macbook Air 13"
1.7ghz i7, 8gb, 128gb

or
Refurbished
$1,269
2012 rMBP 13"
2.5ghz i5, 8gb, 128gb

I will be using it for web development and the usual tasks (facebook, email, etc). I dont do any gaming. Also, the weight difference between the laptops is not an issue for me. Normally I keep my laptops for about 3 years.

Thanks for any responses! :)

Last edited:

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Im planning to buy a new macbook. But I want some feedback to see what you guys think would be a better option for me.

The two models im looking at are:

New
$1300
2013 Macbook Air 13"
1.7ghz i7, 8gb, 128gb

or
Refurbished
$1,269
2012 rMBP
2.5ghz i5, 8gb, 128gb

I will be using it for web development and the usual tasks (facebook, email, etc). I dont do any gaming. Normally I keep my laptops for about 3 years.

Thanks for any responses! :)

Since you didn't mention whether cost, size, weight or appearance was most important, I'd suggest the 2012 rMBP since you aren't tasking the processor with your activities. Note that the GPU in the rMBP will be pushed harder because of the retina screen and having weaker graphics than the new MBA's, but I would imagine the overall experience would be better in the rMBP.

If battery life is important, the MBA wins by a mile. I don't know of another machine that can touch that battery life with i5 CPU power. Plus the SSD can read/write much faster in the MBA.

Still suggest the rMBP but the MBA is an awesome machine based on specs alone, with the only real downside being the screen when compared to the rMBP.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
I'd recommend the Air, at least until the rMBP receives an update. While the rMBP doesn't weight a whole lot more, the added bulk is noticeable. I know you said that wasn't a concern - but given the fact that both are oriented towards portability I think its worth commenting on.

Right now the Air will trump the rMBP in performance and endurance. The rMBP does have a gorgeous screen, but I found that on the small form factor the screen didn't really do a whole lot for me. It's too small a screen to get the real estate from the high pixel density... and it didn't have the raw CPU/GPU power to run a lot of the programs I'd want to use for taking advantage of the screen.

If you have old eyes and it's going to sit on the desk a lot I'd maybe say try the rMBP out... but if you plan on carrying it around and are true to what you said are you expectations... the MBA I think is the real winner.

Tingalayo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Austin, TX
I'd recommend the Air, at least until the rMBP receives an update. While the rMBP doesn't weight a whole lot more, the added bulk is noticeable. I know you said that wasn't a concern - but given the fact that both are oriented towards portability I think its worth commenting on.

Right now the Air will trump the rMBP in performance and endurance. The rMBP does have a gorgeous screen, but I found that on the small form factor the screen didn't really do a whole lot for me. It's too small a screen to get the real estate from the high pixel density... and it didn't have the raw CPU/GPU power to run a lot of the programs I'd want to use for taking advantage of the screen.

If you have old eyes and it's going to sit on the desk a lot I'd maybe say try the rMBP out... but if you plan on carrying it around and are true to what you said are you expectations... the MBA I think is the real winner.

Decided I would go with the 11" 2013 Macbook Air. Just placed the order for the 2013 11" Air, 1.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD.

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

Last edited:

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
big mistake! really big mistake rmbp isnt the newest but it is better than the others take a look at top ten laptops rmbp is the first! just google it i have 15inch 256ssd rmbp and i can play every game i like batman arkhM CITY... or max payne 3 dead space 3 almost at high -very high setting!

but macbook air is no powerhouse but rmbp GDDR5 GT650 is a real one! in is overclocked almost higher than gtx660!

but AIR MBP is worse than it ! anu thing which is newer isnt better but in newtech any thing expensiver is better you should have notice that!

Tingalayo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Austin, TX
big mistake! really big mistake rmbp isnt the newest but it is better than the others take a look at top ten laptops rmbp is the first! just google it i have 15inch 256ssd rmbp and i can play every game i like batman arkhM CITY... or max payne 3 dead space 3 almost at high -very high setting!

but macbook air is no powerhouse but rmbp GDDR5 GT650 is a real one! in is overclocked almost higher than gtx660!

but AIR MBP is worse than it ! anu thing which is newer isnt better but in newtech any thing expensiver is better you should have notice that!

I was looking at the 13" rMBP it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card just integrated (hd 4000). I didnt want to spend $2,000 either on the 15" rmbp.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
I was looking at the 13" rMBP it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card just integrated (hd 4000). I didnt want to spend $2,000 either on the 15" rmbp.

I'm developer...
for develop mobile apps, EDC apps, web apps...
design marketing tools kit and
using office application...

I think, rMBP it best choice... you get better diplay than a new air :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.