Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 AM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

AT&T: Domestic roaming on a non-partner's network

Suppose Joe is planning a camping trip. AT&T's coverage map says the area he plans to visit has no coverage. However, there is a tower in the area that belongs to another GSM network. Can Joe use his phone on that network without removing his AT&T SIM card? If so, what are the consequences of him using that network?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:15 AM   #2
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

The consequences are Joe will pay $ and maybe lots of $$$ if he uses data roaming. Probably not as many $$$ or or as traveling abroad but Joe should find out before camping.
decafjava is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:24 AM   #3
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

I would say there's a 99.99% chance that AT&T has a roaming agreement with all gsm providers in the United States. When I was in Nebraska, I roamed outside of native AT&T coverage area and was using Vaiero wireless. I roamed on them for no fee whatsoever for about a week. They didn't allow me to use their 3G network, so I was forced to stay on EDGE.

A lot of providers have a rule that if you roam for a certain percentage of your monthly allotment, they can cancel your contract since that violate it. You should ask AT&T what regional providers may be in that area and if they have a roaming agreement with them. 10 years ago, when providers still had regional plans and roaming was dangerously expensive, I would say watch out. But nowadays, unless you plan on camping for the next few months, I would find it very hard to believe if you said you were charged for roaming in the US with a US carrier.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone