Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Suppose Joe is planning a camping trip. AT&T's coverage map says the area he plans to visit has no coverage. However, there is a tower in the area that belongs to another GSM network. Can Joe use his phone on that network without removing his AT&T SIM card? If so, what are the consequences of him using that network?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The consequences are Joe will pay $ and maybe lots of $$$ if he uses data roaming. Probably not as many $$$ or £££ or €€€ as traveling abroad but Joe should find out before camping. :D

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I would say there's a 99.99% chance that AT&T has a roaming agreement with all gsm providers in the United States. When I was in Nebraska, I roamed outside of native AT&T coverage area and was using Vaiero wireless. I roamed on them for no fee whatsoever for about a week. They didn't allow me to use their 3G network, so I was forced to stay on EDGE.

A lot of providers have a rule that if you roam for a certain percentage of your monthly allotment, they can cancel your contract since that violate it. You should ask AT&T what regional providers may be in that area and if they have a roaming agreement with them. 10 years ago, when providers still had regional plans and roaming was dangerously expensive, I would say watch out. But nowadays, unless you plan on camping for the next few months, I would find it very hard to believe if you said you were charged for roaming in the US with a US carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.